Law And Order

Snow

Anyone watch Law and Order - Criminal Intent last night?

The Law and Order series usually draw upon real events as their storyline. In last night's episode then took the Mark Hoffman/LDS Church as the inspiration for their story. They converted it to the Catholic Church and converted the Salamander Letter to the Goat Letter but the connection was unmistable.

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 15 2004, 12:24 PM

The Law and Order series usually draw upon real events as their storyline. In last night's episode then took the Mark Hoffman/LDS Church as the inspiration for their story. They converted it to the Catholic Church and converted the Salamander Letter to the Goat Letter but the connection was unmistable.

I saw it and put 2 and 2 together (I dun been to college). It was interesting that they hid the goat letter yet the Church did not hide the salamander letter.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 15 2004, 12:24 PM

I saw it...at least the last half...

I like to watch those CSI shows...my favorite is NCSI. :D

Originally posted by srm+Mar 15 2004, 12:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (srm @ Mar 15 2004, 12:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Mar 15 2004, 12:24 PM

I saw it and put 2 and 2 together (I dun been to college). It was interesting that they hid the goat letter yet the Church did not hide the salamander letter.

Why did they want to buy it? Actually, the Tanners knew it was probably a fraud before the GA's did. So much for discernment?

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 16 2004, 06:52 PM

Why did they want to buy it? Actually, the Tanners knew it was probably a fraud before the GA's did. So much for discernment?

They seemed to think that it was from the correct time period...but they did not claim that it was authentic.

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 16 2004, 06:52 PM

Kudos to the Tanners on that one but are you of the opinion that the brethren are supposed to be able to supernaturally divine forgeries?

Originally posted by Snow+Mar 16 2004, 09:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Mar 16 2004, 09:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Mar 16 2004, 06:52 PM

Why did they want to buy it?  Actually, the Tanners knew it was probably a fraud before the GA's did. So much for discernment?

Kudos to the Tanners on that one but are you of the opinion that the brethren are supposed to be able to supernaturally divine forgeries?

Absolutely! ;)

Actually, it doesn't really mean anything, except that it would have been a little more impressive if they had. It seems like when ever there arizes a situation with the potential to verify the claims of mormonism (gift of discernment, JS really did know how to translate Egyptian heiroglypics, native american DNA) we get disappointment.

Oh, I forgot, God doesn't satisfy man's desire for "worldly" confirmation--that's why no accurate translation of papyrus, no NA middle east-DNA connection and no gift of discernment about M Hoffman. That would be ok with me if we mormons didn't grab on with both hands when something, anything, shows up that even remotely agrees with BoM history (as Traveler about the Lehite treck through Arabia)

The thing is you can't criticize people for questioning mormonism on a rational or scientific basis, when we mormons are quick as the next person to justify mormonism on scientific bases. ( like--"see how science has confirmed the word of wisdom,---see how many scientists Utah produces, ----see how the church pushes education,----evolution doesn't conflict with mormonism)

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 17 2004, 06:55 PM

Good point and well said Cal.

BTW, I wanted to mention that as of late I have noticed that your posts, while still critical, have a much less caustic tone. I for one find you current approach to be more persuasive and fair-minded.

I agree...plus I like to discuss stuff with him anyway... :)

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by LaurelTree@Mar 17 2004, 07:00 PM

I missed it, kids got to bed late last night.....Peace me to those are my favorites, then crossing jordan...

I like Tru calling, and Joan of Arcadia...for a lighter version of the same thing...LOL...I am just a mystery lover...who likes to see people finding truth which ends up bettering other peoples lives.... LOL

Snow and Peace----I guess it depends on the issue at hand, but I realize, from the feedback I was getting, that people thought I was more hostile to the church than I am, or that I don't like mormons. Since I am one, I guess I had better. And my family is mormon since 1838 or so. Culturally, I really can't get away from it--besides that, I don't really want to.

What erks me is when some of us start acting like there is no alternate rational way to look at the universe except thru the eyes of those totally immersed in mormonism. I suspect that those mormons who talk like born-again creationists don't really realize that in the LDS church there are a lot of members who take a rather liberal or "liahona" view of the scriptures.

One thing that distinguishes me from some of the other "rabble rousers" on this forum is that I have never questioned the sincerity of most mormons, nor have I questioned their "sanity" in believing in mormonism. Sometimes you get "how can you believe in mormonism?" or "you must have a screw loose to believe JS was inspired". Or even worse, "how can you believe in mormonism, when Jesus is the only way?" (that one really fries my potatoes).

Anyway, thank you for the words of friendship---I also enjoy the "banter". It's nice to visit with people who can come back with a rational and interesting response.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 18 2004, 04:34 PM

Snow and Peace----I guess it depends on the issue at hand, but I realize, from the feedback I was getting, that people thought I was more hostile to the church than I am, or that I don't like mormons. Since I am one, I guess I had better. And my family is mormon since 1838 or so. Culturally, I really can't get away from it--besides that, I don't really want to.

What erks me is when some of us start acting like there is no alternate rational way to look at the universe except thru the eyes of those totally immersed in mormonism. I suspect that those mormons who talk like born-again creationists don't really realize that in the LDS church there are a lot of members who take a rather liberal or "liahona" view of the scriptures.

One thing that distinguishes me from some of the other "rabble rousers" on this forum is that I have never questioned the sincerity of most mormons, nor have I questioned their "sanity" in believing in mormonism. Sometimes you get "how can you believe in mormonism?" or "you must have a screw loose to believe JS was inspired". Or even worse, "how can you believe in mormonism, when Jesus is the only way?" (that one really fries my potatoes).

Anyway, thank you for the words of friendship---I also enjoy the "banter". It's nice to visit with people who can come back with a rational and interesting response.

I will take either side of the debate...depending on whether or not the other party is too far left or right...

I can't deal with members who are really uptight about 'the only true church' being the only source of truth and others who think nothing good can come from the church ....

So I guess we are a lot alike.

Originally posted by Peace+Mar 18 2004, 06:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peace @ Mar 18 2004, 06:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Mar 18 2004, 04:34 PM

I will take either side of the debate...depending on whether or not the other party is too far left or right...

I can't deal with members who are really uptight about 'the only true church' being the only source of truth and others who think nothing good can come from the church ....

So I guess we are a lot alike.

\

We do, indeed, agree on that.

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 18 2004, 04:34 PM

Snow and Peace----I guess it depends on the issue at hand, but I realize, from the feedback I was getting, that people thought I was more hostile to the church than I am,

I assume the role of the devils advocate when there are more orthodox posters and when the critics are around, I am much more orthodox my self - a balance of pro and critical is good if there is a modicum of respect...

Originally posted by Snow+Mar 18 2004, 07:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Mar 18 2004, 07:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Mar 18 2004, 04:34 PM

Snow and Peace----I guess it depends on the issue at hand, but I realize, from the feedback I was getting, that people thought I was more hostile to the church than I am,

I assume the role of the devils advocate when there are more orthodox posters and when the critics are around, I am much more orthodox my self - a balance of pro and critical is good if there is a modicum of respect...

Now Snow, that sounds a little too reactionary :) I know what you mean. I have the nasty habit of seeming more antagonistic than I normally would when confronted with the self rightous "I know something you don't and am SO much more blessed by God than you because of it" thing. In fact, I just got that from Paul a minute ago. It would be nice to join him in his "blessed place on high", but I'm afraid I might get bored, and need to "contend one with another" and would be summarily kicked out of "on high".