Twilight 5 was actually GOOD.

Bini

OKAY, OKAY, HOLD THE PRESSES....

Remember... this is ME - Anatess - the Twilight Hater - both books and movies.

And for my very unbiased review of Twilight... I actually AGREE with Bini! (waits for the lightning to strike me.... hmm... I'm still here!).

Okay, first of all... the 4th book is the most dreadful book of the series. So, I wasn't expecting much from this movie. And Part 1 was a crying bore...

The biggest problem for all the Twilight movies is Bella. She is such a horrible actress even Michael Sheen can't save her. Edward is not much better and Jacob (the guy was great in Sharkboy!) just got swept with the rest of them. Bella, Edward, and Jacob have only 3 muscles in their faces for all 4 movies... so they can only hold 3 expressions... and that's being generous.

But this time, the movie was jam-packed with so many characters (half of whom are not much better than Bella - for example, that blonde teen-ager from Taken) that Bella's acting skills became a much lesser focus. And then, now that she's a vampire, her rigid expressions match closer to the rigidity of vampires. And then, kudos to the make-up folks, she actually looks quite stunning, so you can forgive her lack of acting skills a little.

Now, each Twilight movie installment comes with its own Director. The first director just plain sucked - couldn't quite figure out if she wants a teen-age prom-type movie or a real-deal vampire movie. The second director was better but only because he actually decided to spend money on better cgi. The third director sucked but was better than the first - at least he knew he wanted some real-deal vampires here. The fourth director was the best of the revolving-door directors... although, I thought he sucked on Part I - but I credit that to the stupid money-making-scheme of splitting one not-much-depth-to-it book into 2 movies.

So yeah, the director did a much better job here - giving us the real-deal vampire stuff (that was so stupidly lacking in the books) - while at the same time keeping the sappy teen-agers happy.

There's a few things that ruined the movie for me - I don't really get how mothers with their tween-agers can make cat-calls at some guy stripping on screen. It's plain disgusting to me. If my popcorn bag was empty, I would have barfed into it.

And then there's the cgi'd baby. That was just FREAKY! I mean - Star Wars can put cgi Yoda in the middle of a fight scene with Emperor Palpatine... and he just belongs right there. LOTR have gollum trekking all over middle earth with Hobbits... and Hobbits trekking all over middle earth with regular folks. They all just look like they belong together. But this Twilight baby looks like some amateur youtube video editing job...

And then there's Nessie putting her palm on some guy's face and you expect some visual of what she's showing these guys... and you never get it... so it's like, hmm... I wanna know what she's showing them. So, you're left disappointed. It can't be that they ran out of budget...

Edited by anatess

The CGI baby was a bit freaky.. But everything else was beautiful visually.

It really was, in my opinion, the better of the previous Twilights. I enjoyed it, my friends enjoyed it. Had a great evening watching it on the big screen.