Les Misérables on Christmas Day

Bini

Lea Salonga has a crazy Twitter following. Well over a million followers. Doesn't sound like much but a lot of trendy celebrities don't even come close to that number!

Lea Salonga is a child star in the Philippines. She was very popular for her uplifting songs for children. And she was an actress in the movie theater as a child as well.

My favorite Lea Salonga song as a child goes like this -

I am but a small voice

I have but a small dream

The fragrance of a flow'r

In the unpolluted air

I am but a small voice

I have but a small dream

To smile upon the sun

Be free to dance and sing

Be free to sing my song to ev'ryone

Chorus: Come young citizens of the world

We are one, we are one

Come young citizens of the world

We are one, we are one

We have one hope

We have one dream

And with one voice we sing

Peace, prosperity and love for all mankind.

She was only 10 years old when she produced that album, and she has been acting for years before that.

But what really set her apart from all the other child stars in the Philippines is that she remained that pure and innocent all the way to today. A lot of the child stars in her time grew up to be drug addicts, divorced (illegal in the Phils), corrupt politicians, or dead!

So yeah, she has a giant Filipino following.

Lea Salonga factoid:

Her first kiss was with Simon Bowman on the set of Miss Saigon. She was 18.

At that time she was attending pre-med school intending to become a doctor but she got the part for Kim. She debated whether to take the part, first because she was worried about her first kiss not going to a man she intended to marry, and second because she did not want to wear the "bikini" on stage. And third, she really wanted to be a doctor. Everybody told her she would be really crazy not to take the part which was her first international role.

Anyway, she took the part and got the producers to agree to her not wearing the "bikini". She wore a neck-to-floor shimmery gown instead. They refused on taking out the kiss. And she never went to med school.

A friend that I grew up with works at the Old Globe Theater in San Diego. He has had the pleasure of meeting and working with her as she has been in a production there. He rants and raves about her all the time on facebook.