Advice on Scriptures?

LilyBelle00

Ok, I'm not new to the church but I am newly active back in the church. My husband is not technically new to the church but we became inactive shortly after he was baptised.

I know that we need to start praying more and reading our scriptures but I'm not sure where to start. My prayers feel like a child's routinely recited prayer. I know that's something I'll just need to work on myself. They just don't feel sincere yet...

Where should we start on the scriptures? Bible or BoM? Any certain chapter or book or just page 1? Should we read them together out loud or seperately?

It might seem weird that I'm asking this but I haven't read the scriptures in so long that I just don't know how to start. I'm not sure if my husband has ever read the scriptures besides what they tell him to in class.

My advice: Read the Book of Mormon. Read it for ten minutes every day. Ten minutes is short; you can do that easily. I suggest you read alone and also with your husband. (Maybe read the Book of Mormon with your husband and the New Testament on your own, for example.) My wife and I have done couple scripture study since we got married, and it has been a great blessing in our marriage. Be sure always to pray before you begin scripture study, and then when you finish, pray again. Such short prayers help to put you in mind for scripture study and invite the Spirit to be with you while you read.

Keep praying morning and evening (in addition to your scriptural prayer). You are talking to God; try to act and think as if he is standing there in front of you, because in a sense he is. If you find your prayers are over in 45 seconds, you need to concentrate on discussing your challenges, feelings, successes, and concerns with your Father.

For what it's worth to you, here's what we do:

My wife and I read a chapter of scripture every day. It normally takes us only a few minutes, usually less than five (though for longer chapters it can take longer). In addition, we have our individual scripture study. My wife reads a chapter a day on her own, while I read 10-20 minutes, which sometimes includes several chapters and other times may not even get me through one.

Thank you. We might try the chapter a night thing and see how that works.

I'm having a problem with prayer. I don't know why. Maybe because I haven't in so long? It feels intimidating. I don't know what I'm scared of. I help my 4 year old pray every night (almost). When it comes to my own prayers, I chicken out. I know that I should pray and I feel like I want to, I just haven't done it yet. ???

My suggestion... start in the middle somewhere. The most read scripture in the church is, "I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents". Even the best of intentions can fail and everyone starts at the beginning again. I have found that picking a random starting point helps me feel like I'm where I want to be in the scriptures rather than just completing a to-do list. I wrap back around to Nephi again, but by then, it's more of a habit than a chore.

As for which book to read, any is better than nothing. You probably want to avoid Isaiah and 2 Nephi, since it largely quotes Isaiah. He is the most intimidating prophet to read and understand. In general, the Book of Mormon is good because it is not only the most complete and accurate, but it is also fairly easy to read because of its more narrative style. However, you may find that reading the Doctrine and Covenants is most helpful right now since that is what we will be studying in Sunday School this coming year. That will also give you a measurable goal of reading the sections before they are discussed in class each week.

Where it comes to your trouble with prayer, you've already answered your own question. Stop being a chicken. :) The more you do it, the more natural it will feel.

Where it comes to your trouble with prayer, you've already answered your own question. Stop being a chicken. :) The more you do it, the more natural it will feel.

Haha, yes, I do just need to stop being a chicken. Thanks. :) I actually prayed last night and this morning. It felt odd at first but got better. I'm very happy that I've finally dove in.

Tonight is our first planned scripture reading so hopefully all goes well. :)