Any southern gospel/CCM fans around?

CommanderSouth

I know that is in fact such a big jump. But coming out of the pentecostal church, in the south, I have always grew up loving hymns like "The Old Rugged Cross", "I'll Fly Away" and the like, and then just before baptism I had really grew to love groups like Casting Crowns, Third Day, and Phillips Craig and Dean.

I should ask, anyone know of anyone else in the vein of The Nashville Tribute Band, or The Lower Lights, or any CCMish LDS music?

Also and fans of SG/CCM around these parts?

I figured it would be nice to post a topic about something other than crushing depression, guilt, testimony deterioration, etc... :)

I love southern gospel music and some CCM. I especially love Laura Story's song, Blessings. I've been a member of the church a long time (like over 40 years) but I come from a born-again background. My father was a minister and I played the piano for church since I was in 6th grade. I grew up on "The Old Rugged Cross", "He Lives", "Until Then", "I'll Meet You in the Morning", "What A Friend We Have in Jesus", etc.

I had the honor of having my Dad live with me for the last 6 years of his life. (He passed away two years ago.) Anyway, I took him to his church, Assembly of God, as much as I could and listened again to a lot of the old songs. I also attended my own ward so spent a lot of time on Sundays in church. I'm very close to my two sisters who are nonmembers and almost every time I visit I attend church with them also. (They have lived in towns where there have been no LDS chapels.) Anyway I'm one of the unusual active LDS members who have kept up on southern gospel and some CCM.

I just attended a week ago a Blackwood Brothers concert. They are really old-school southern music, though. I actually really love southern gospel. I like quite a bit of CCM but some of the songs are so repetitive it gets on my nerves. I do like much of the music of Steven Curtis Chapman; Michael Smith; Brandon Heath; Casting Crowns; Phillip, Craig & Dean, etc.

I like a lot of LDS music besides the hymns too. Are you familiar with Kenneth Cope, Michael McLean, Hilary Weeks, etc.?

Thanks for asking this. Just in case you can't tell, I love music. It touches my soul like nothing else can.