Was God involved in the papal election?

For my own two-bits, StephenVH, I read your post as you intended, but it had at least the potential to come across as "my church is better than your church" and as a direct challenge to the authenticity claims of the CoJCoLDS.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, just try to be more cognizant of how people might try to misinterpret you in the future.

Thanks for your advice. I don't come here to insult Mormons or their faith. While it is obvious to me that there are some on this forum who pretty much disdain my presence here, I have come to enjoy and look forward to discussions with most members who seem to be very fair and charitable. :) Others are just waiting for me to stub my toe and are suspicious of anything I post.

Edited by StephenVH

Thanks for your advice. I don't come here to insult Mormons or their faith. While it is obvious to me that there are some on this forum who pretty much disdain my presence here, I have come to enjoy and look forward to discussions with most members who seem to be very fair and charitable. :) Others are just waiting for me to stub my toe and are suspicious of anything I post.

I will be honest here and say that I didn't like you at first and wondered what your agenda was. I was waiting for you to be banned. But I've seen a change in your posts to where I understand more of educating rather than bashing or debating. I think both sides have much to learn about the other. Again as long as it remains civil and respectful on both sides..I'm all for it.

I will be honest here and say that I didn't like you at first and wondered what your agenda was. I was waiting for you to be banned. But I've seen a change in your posts to where I understand more of educating rather than bashing or debating. I think both sides have much to learn about the other. Again as long as it remains civil and respectful on both sides..I'm all for it.

If you were to go to CAF you would see that I defend Mormons on a number of occasions and chide those who are being uncharitable to them. I think it is natural to wonder what one's agenda is when they come from a different faith tradition. Don't get me wrong. I certainly have my moments in the midst of a heated debate, but I have learned to remember that I am speaking with a human being, not a computer.

On lds.net I have found that debate is pretty much frowned upon, which I wish was not the case. Not only does one learn much about their own faith when called upon to defend it, but much about the other's faith as well. Debate does not have to be nasty. Argumentation has gotten a bad wrap. It is actually a noble exercise when those involved are intellectually honest and always charitable toward each other. But I am a guest here; I'm on your turf and am therefore happy to comply with the forum rules and standards.

On lds.net I have found that debate is pretty much frowned upon, which I wish was not the case. Not only does one learn much about their own faith when called upon to defend it, but much about the other's faith as well. Debate does not have to be nasty. Argumentation has gotten a bad wrap. It is actually a noble exercise when those involved are intellectually honest and always charitable toward each other. But I am a guest here; I'm on your turf and am therefore happy to comply with the forum rules and standards.

It's the same in CAF. I got banned there for answering a question on what a Milchezedek priest is. The reason given was Proselyting. Hah! Me - proselyting. I got banned again after I explained my faith against that rabid anti-Mormon in the Non-Catholic Religion Forum. The reason given... proselyting. I haven't figured out how to educate without getting banned for proselyting.

I think part of that problem is since this is an LDS site that all answers should be exactly what LDS believe. Or at least that is what is thought.That is true to a point. But we do welcome people of all faiths and want them to post. I think you may have seen that even in the Christian Beliefs Forum. But some haven't learned that because you are giving a Catholic's point of view which may be contrary to what we, as LDS, believe that it doesn't always mean that the person is here to try and show us the error of our ways. I've had to remind people in the Christian Beliefs Forum that opinions or information provided can come from a variety of faiths.

It's the same in CAF. I got banned there for answering a question on what a Milchezedek priest is. The reason given was Proselyting. Hah! Me - proselyting. I got banned again after I explained my faith against that rabid anti-Mormon in the Non-Catholic Religion Forum. The reason given... proselyting. I haven't figured out how to educate without getting banned for proselyting.

First of all, sorry that you got banned. I had no idea that we have had discussion on CAF. I'm trying to guess who you are (were). I have to agree with you that I have a difficult time understanding what constitutes proselytizing, other than just a blatant attempt at converting another. If one gives a credible, well thought out justification for their beliefs; one good enough to sway people to their position, is that proselytizing? I don't know.

Would a moderator be kind enough to inform us as to what you consider "proselytizing" on this forum? It would seem to me to be a difficult thing to measure unless it is just blatant.

To me proselytizing on lds.net would anyone that actively encourages members of the LDS religion or any religion for that matter to seek or join another religion. Now here is the exception and I hope you understand. This is an LDS site. This site was started as a way to spread the gospel of the LDS church and religion. It is to promote LDS ideals. If we encourage someone to read the Book of Mormon and to pray about its truthfullness that would of course be construed as proselytizing. But that is what this site is for.

We welcome conversations from other religions..but if the only agenda from one of another faith is to encourage our members to leave the LDS church to join theirs..we do draw the line there.

Learning about other religions and what their beliefs are we do encourage.

To me proselytizing on lds.net would anyone that actively encourages members of the LDS religion or any religion for that matter to seek or join another religion. Now here is the exception and I hope you understand. This is an LDS site. This site was started as a way to spread the gospel of the LDS church and religion. It is to promote LDS ideals. If we encourage someone to read the Book of Mormon and to pray about its truthfullness that would of course be construed as proselytizing. But that is what this site is for.

We welcome conversations from other religions..but if the only agenda from one of another faith is to encourage our members to leave the LDS church to join theirs..we do draw the line there.

Learning about other religions and what their beliefs are we do encourage.

Thanks for this. That seems to be a very level approach. Of course, it goes without saying that this is an LDS site and thererfore you should be promoting the LDS faith with the hope of drawing others to your faith. Anyway, you seem to have a very reasonable outlook on the issue.