RSS Readers

Wingnut

So, Google announced this week that they're discontinuing their Google Reader product as of July 1 this year. Part of the reason, they say, is because Twitter has effectively replaced Reader as a source of regular blog updates. That may be true for non-personal blogs, but I follow a lot of family and friend blogs. And I don't know a lot of people who use Twitter. So I'm on the hunt.

Do you use an RSS reader other than Google's? What do you like or not like about it?

So far I like it, partly because it not only imported all my Google Reader subscriptions, but all my Reader info, including the categories I'd already assigned each blog, so I didn't have to re-do all the sorting.

Also found this while looking this evening: List of RSS feed readers / aggregators (Google Reader alternatives)

• 2 weeks later...

Lifehacker recently posted an article about this that should be easy to find. They list suggestions there. One of them is The Old Reader, which is new. I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to since I use Google Reader and need a replacement now.

I tried Old Reader. It took 11 days for it to import my information from Google Reader. I'd completely forgotten about it until I received the email that my feeds were ready. It didn't inspire much confidence. I clicked through from the notification email and directly went to cancel my account.

I've tried a few out now, and I think I'll be sticking with Feedly. I like it.

• 2 months later...