Ordinations

Drpepper

Duties and Blessings of the Priesthood: Basic Manual for Priesthood Holders, Part A Lesson 7: Duties of the Priest

Ordain Others to the Aaronic Priesthood

Priests also have the authority to ordain other priests, teachers, and deacons (see D&C 20:48), but only when authorized by the bishop or branch president. This power to confer the Aaronic Priesthood is sacred. It was restored to the earth by John the Baptist when he ordained Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to the Aaronic Priesthood (see D&C 13). John the Baptist himself was given authority by an angel acting in the name of God (see D&C 84:28). The power to ordain others comes to us, therefore, from God. To perform this important ordinance, we should be worthy and have the Holy Ghost with us. (For further information see lesson 3, “The Restoration of the Priesthood,” in this manual.)

I think the tricky part would be that the Priest cannot pronounce a blessing after the ordination that Melchizedek Priesthood holders can and often do.

Edited by skippy740

I think the tricky part would be that the Priest cannot pronounce a blessing after the ordination that Melchizedek Priesthood holders can and often do.

I would disagree with that interpretation. Reading the instructions in Handbook 2, 20.7.1, there is no delineation between who may perform step 5 in the process of the ordination/conferral. Whoever acts as voice, as authorized by the proper authority, is authorized to "[Give] words of blessing as the Spirit directs."

While it is not 'spelled out' within your link (thank you btw), I simply disagree that an Aaronic Priesthood holder is authorized to give a blessing, only because they are not authorized to give blessings as a part of their priesthood office.

I won't debate it, but I agree with you that there is no delineation within the instructions given.