Ft. Lauderdale Florida Temple announcement

Roseslipper

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-mormon-church-davie-20140103,0,806057.story

I didnt like some of the things that were said: example non members can go in for the first 3 wks and then it's closed forever....etc.......

What do u guys think???

I don't understand what you are upset about. It's not a new thing for there to be tours for the public before it is dedicated.

I'm kind of confused too as why you would think what was said was bad. It is true. Open house is for the public and then it's closed to them forever. Unless they hold a temple recommend.

Well it just sounds bad the way they said it. They could go back when its rededicated, and if they become members that can get a recommend it just sounds so final. Just don't like the wording I guess. I did sent it to friends who are members but its not something I would want to send to people who I want to go to see the open house.

Well it just sounds bad the way they said it. They could go back when its rededicated, and if they become members that can get a recommend it just sounds so final. Just don't like the wording I guess. I did sent it to friends who are members but its not something I would want to send to people who I want to go to see the open house.

I still don't understand your objections.

It is common practice for temple to be open to the public for tours prior to dedication. This is a wonderful thing. It allows people who have never seen the inside of a temple to see it and to learn its' purpose. It is a wonderful way to reach out to non-Mormons AND to Mormons who don't currently hold a recommend. You never know what the tour may spark in someone's soul.

Once the temple is dedicated, it's back to business as usual. Only those with a temple recommend may enter. If one truly understands what the temple is about, they would have no problem with that.

I don't know what you mean by "they could go back when its rededicated". Could you explain that statement, please?

I don't understand your issue with stating that - after the open house - you can only go back if you have a recommend. That's just a statement of fact. If the non-Mormons taking the tour listened, they should understand that. Some people perhaps can't grasp that. Some people just use it as a way to attack the church.

As for any Mormon who doesn't currently hold a temple recommend, they can always - at any moment - start working towards being worthy of a recommend. One is only barred by the temple by one's own chosen actions. I knew when I joined the church what the temple was all about, and what was required of me to enter and receive my endowment. So I spent that first year diligently working towards that. Anyone can do that.

So, it's not "final" if one doesn't currently hold a recommend. Not even for non-Mormons. Visiting and understanding what the temple is all about may spark in their interest in the church and set them on a path to one day being able to enter the temple for their own endowment.

Rarely is a temple rededicated. The only times are if a temple has gone through a major renovation or has had an addition done to it. They then have to either dedicate that section or rededicate the entire temple. Many times at that point they will have an open house.

Rarely is a temple rededicated. The only times are if a temple has gone through a major renovation or has had an addition done to it. They then have to either dedicate that section or rededicate the entire temple. Many times at that point they will have an open house.

But what has that got to with anything?

Edited to add: The question isn't directed at you. I am just wondering why the OP brings it in as an issue. As you state, rededication is rare.

Edited by Leah

But what has that got to with anything?

I guess that's where "final" comes in. It wouldn't be final if they could go back through the temple at an open house prior to a rededication. I see where she is coming from on that. But one shouldn't ever count on that. Many temples go through renovations but not enough that they have to be rededicated. So like I mentioned, it's rare that a temple is rededicated and rare that people would have a "second chance."

While I can see how the phrasing probably wouldn't be what LDS Newsroom would have went with it seems accurate enough.

hey could go back when its rededicated, and if they become members that can get a recommend it just sounds so final.

The caption talks about it being closed forever to the public, the video talks about it being forever closed to outsiders. Neither is a statement that the temple is going to be closed to literally everyone such as the recommend holding members you mention above. Furthermore the video goes on to talk about how only qualified members are allowed inside, the article contains this:

Temples are buildings where only qualified members of the church are allowed inside. They are used for special occasions and ceremonies and closed Sundays and Mondays.

Edited by Dravin