How does home/land ownership affect your country?

Bini

Her land lease does not make it fact that the State she lives in does not allow private ownership of land.

Here's proof:

Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost

The fear of being 100% certain is only for protection against law suits. I have no such fear about my certainty about certain things such as - My biological mother is female and my biological father is male - 100% certain. I am also 100% certain of my legal name, my husband's legal name, and that of my children. I am 100% certain that my dog is a Bichon Frise and that my 6 snakes are ball pythons and that Thomas S. Monson is the President of the LDS Church. I am 100% certain about a lot of things. Of course, I don't claim 100% certainty unless I've actually looked it up.

:)

Well forgive me if I doubt you. when someone I know who lives in the States is living a different reality. :D

It's legal to own land in Great Britain, but very difficult to obtain because he owners don't like to sell. If one has a "freehold" there it's a good thing.

In Hawaii the vast majority of the land is owned by the Bishop trust, nad must be leased from the trust. They're not selling.

In Mexico it used to be that foreigners could not own land, but this changed with NAFTA. I think there are still restrictions on land within a certain distance from the coast.:(

All in all, we are very lucky in the US because land is plentiful and cheap. It's also easy to obtain financing.

In continential Europe for example 2/3 of people are renters. Here (and oddly in Britain), it is the opposite.

Here in America, some people may own the home and the land, but they may not own mineral rights or oil rights... which can get really tricky.

Quite a few rights in fact,

Mineral,

Oil and gas,

Water,

and yes, dinosaur bones and artifacts!:eek:

On very old ownership parcels and in cities, no one thought about all these things too much. I've always live in large cities, but I remember in the 60s my dad sold the oil and gas rights under our home to Chevron. They canvassed the neighborhood to obtain this from every one. Not sure if any drilling ever took place. It's a very populated area.

In Wyoming, it's very popular to retain the rights to dinosaur bones if you sell a property. Typically, Indian artifacts are in a separate category and by law don't belong to the landowner depending on treaties etc.

Of course, wars have been fought over water rights.

Edited by mrmarklin

You're right. That reminds me. The home where I grew up was recently excavated (?) for Native American burial ground artifacts. My parents sold the land when I was young.

I also found out in Europe, one of my grandfather's (on my father's side) in the 1500's had been given land to him by King Henry the viii's sixth wife, Katherine Parr. He worked in her Privy Chamber. He and his sons sold the land for a large amount of money to fund their move to the Americas. It's too bad I can't lay claim to that land today! It's in Dorsetshire, England.