Yay Missionaries :)

Guest mamacat

Guest mamacat

our missionaries are visiting us tomorrow to watch movies with my babe. :wub: they give him such kind attention and always are so patient with him.....and he can be quite excitable about guests visiting. they play games with him on his computer and let him regale them with all his toys.

i try to clean our little apartment an extra amount before they arrive....and always try to have snacks and drinks for them too. i esp enjoy when i have the time to bake cookies or brownies for them.

lol, the fist time missionaries visited i was all prepared with exotic tea that i had brewed in my new pretty teapot, and matching cream and sugar service. they were very respectful in declining the tea, and on their next visit they explained the word of wisdom. i had just purchased a large bag of fresh starbucks coffee beans, organic cream and a tin of fresh english breakfast tea. :rolleyes: it was that evening that they asked me if i would be willing to follow the word of wisdom in full. and i said yes. God knew i didn't need all that caffeine. :closedeyes:

so my babe is anticipating their visit tomorrow...because, he says, we get to have cake!! (and fresh herbal tea).

B)

our missionaries are visiting us tomorrow to watch movies with my babe. :wub: they give him such kind attention and always are so patient with him.....and he can be quite excitable about guests visiting. they play games with him on his computer and let him regale them with all his toys.

Three comments for you mama....

#1 There is a huge chance that those missionaries left little brothers and sisters (or nieces and nephews) behind at home that they miss greatly, so getting to spend time with your son really is a bright spot in their day as well.

i try to clean our little apartment an extra amount before they arrive....and always try to have snacks and drinks for them too. i esp enjoy when i have the time to bake cookies or brownies for them.

#2 I am sure this warms the heart of every poster here who has a son/daughter/brother/sister/niece or nephew on a mission. It is nice to know that someone is taking the extra time to show kindness to these great missionaries. I know you are probably still learning stuff from them every time they visit, but it seems you go the extra mile to make the missionaries feel special, and in turn, that makes you even more special!

on their next visit they explained the word of wisdom. i had just purchased a large bag of fresh starbucks coffee beans, organic cream and a tin of fresh english breakfast tea. :rolleyes: it was that evening that they asked me if i would be willing to follow the word of wisdom in full. and i said yes.

#3 That is so cool that you made that commitment on the spot, I'm sure it wasn't altogether easy, but I know that there will be blessings for following the word of wisdom! Does the smell of fresh coffee ever tempt you?

Guest MrsS

:lol: my bishop caught our past missonaries riding on the highway. He pulled over and chewed them out, i think

Why would he do that? Doesn't make sense.

Guest mamacat

<div class='quotemain'>

Three comments for you mama....

#1 There is a huge chance that those missionaries left little brothers and sisters (or nieces and nephews) behind at home that they miss greatly, so getting to spend time with your son really is a bright spot in their day as well.

#2 I am sure this warms the heart of every poster here who has a son/daughter/brother/sister/niece or nephew on a mission. It is nice to know that someone is taking the extra time to show kindness to these great missionaries. I know you are probably still learning stuff from them every time they visit, but it seems you go the extra mile to make the missionaries feel special, and in turn, that makes you even more special!

on their next visit they explained the word of wisdom. i had just purchased a large bag of fresh starbucks coffee beans, organic cream and a tin of fresh english breakfast tea. :rolleyes: it was that evening that they asked me if i would be willing to follow the word of wisdom in full. and i said yes.

#3 That is so cool that you made that commitment on the spot, I'm sure it wasn't altogether easy, but I know that there will be blessings for following the word of wisdom! Does the smell of fresh coffee ever tempt you?

thank you for these encouraging words Vanilla. :) i appreciate that you've shown me a perspective i had not considered. when i have considered my babe perhaps one day going off on a mission....not seeing or talking to him for such a long time...well, i almost have heart palpitations!! but then, i think doing such a thing is a way better introduction to the world than college....so.... :mellow:

and as for our scheduled visit today.... :glare: ......well, everything that could went wrong. my babe's dad visited us sunday with a severe cold, knowing we would get it from him...he knows this because it happens every time, but he also knows that asking him not to visit is a great opportunity for a fight, and he's on the constant lookout for any reason whatsoever he can find to start a riproaring fight with me. i learned a few years ago how to avoid this, but it's still a struggle not to fall for his smarmy and sneaky traps! so we are in the first stages of an icky cold, feelin' lethargic, drained and sneezy. :(

and, if i wasn't before, i am now, convinced that the adversary still has it out for us, doing anything possible to keep us away from things LDS. in january/february, almost every single day that we had visits scheduled with our missionaries, the water in our apartment complex would be turned off. and only on these specific days. so any cleaning or cooking i needed to do that day would be sabotaged, and i often would end up having to spend the entire day out driving around, collecting bottles of water, in order to make our meals, have drinking water on hand, facilitate plumbing, etc....and finding replacements for the fresh brownies or cookies i had planned on baking prior to our visit.

this happened at least 6 or 7 times. one day that we had a scheduled visit, i was cleaning and making preparations....and my babe and i took our puppy for a ten/fifteen minute walk. in this ten minute time frame that we were gone (not before or after), the hose in our bathroom "broke" thus gushing water continuously, flooding our bedroom and the apartment below. when we returned, our downstairs neighbors were having a freakout, and it took the entire day to clean the flooded bedroom. when the missionaries arrived we were distressed and bedraggled beyond description.

on the few days that no 'acts of god', lol, occurred.......well, on those days the missionaries either didn't show up, or were hours late, due to other people's emergencies or extended meetings or car problems.....or something of the kind.

and today? well today, just now, that we're in the middle of our Super-Hot Texas summer...our air contditioner expired! yes, it chose this very day to do so, the first scheduled missionary visit we've had in quite awhile, and right on target, we have a major utility malfunction. :rolleyes: the thing is, earlier this summer, our maintenance person checked it, added fluids, pronounced it in perfect condition. with no problems since then whatsoever. but today i walked downstairs to check the unit, and the breaker box was on fire, with smoke emitting from it. :mellow: now he says it's necessary to install an entirely new unit in our apartment.

my question....why do these catastrophes happen only on the days we have scheduled missionary visits????

so, given our state of disarray, i had to ask our missionaries to reschedule when they arrived, as i knew they wouldn't be at all enamoured of sitting in a baking apartment and catching the flue. -_-

and so, my babe i and sat around eating the cookies we had for them, playing concentration, and waiting for our maintenance person to return to fix our air conditioning, as promised....but alas, he never did. after a scolding on everything from not calling soon enough, to being the cause of the damage "because we turned the thermostat down too abruptly."

so, now here i sit sweltering, while my babe restlessly sleeps, pouring out my woes in LDS cyberspace. if you read this far, thanks for the indulgence. i really am grateful everyday for all the blessings i have, but sometimes it helps to relate such things via the written word. -_-

love 'n everything......

lol, the fist time missionaries visited i was all prepared with exotic tea that i had brewed in my new pretty teapot, and matching cream and sugar service. they were very respectful in declining the tea, and on their next visit they explained the word of wisdom. i had just purchased a large bag of fresh starbucks coffee beans, organic cream and a tin of fresh english breakfast tea. :rolleyes: it was that evening that they asked me if i would be willing to follow the word of wisdom in full. and i said yes. God knew i didn't need all that caffeine. :closedeyes:

so my babe is anticipating their visit tomorrow...because, he says, we get to have cake!! (and fresh herbal tea).

B)

*tears well up in eyes* I'm so proud for you that you could do that! It was such a pain trying to get investigators to quit their coffee tea...

For herbal/fruit tea, try Rooibos (sp?). Most of the flavors non-caffeine--and it's so good! I have to say the best fruit tea I had was made by one of our investigators in Ostfriesland (the tea capitol of Germany)--apples and oranges and cranberries...with Kloentjes (little sugar candies). ^_^

O_O Wait...uh....anyway....(Turkan apple tea is great too!!!)....

Germany had a lot of substitutes for teas and coffees. Dutch cocoa and Karo coffee were among my favs...

Well, not really the Karo coffee. Bleh. Sugar doesn't help. ^_~

Guest mamacat

oh, to clarify our situation.....as i am so distrusted and shamed by our bishop.....but, i never have requested any visits from missionaries. in fact, i honestly don't wish to impose upon them and don't reschedule missed appointments unless they ask specifically. in fact, i think they felt rather neglected, as i have not asked them to visit at all. so lately they have shown up on my doorstep at random times, asking for water, or to use the phone, or simply to 'check up' on us. and those days we really are quite unprepared for them, usually with sleeping babe, barking dog, house in total disarray, no snacks to be found anywhere......but we usually always let them in. they've seen me now at my grungiest worst, no makeup, sweaty, half-dressed child, sometimes running out enthusiastically to greet them with no underpants....haha.....

sometimes our tiny household (our entire apartment is about the size of the living room of our last residence, that wasn't extraordinarily large either) complete with enormous, loud barking dog and super-excitable, hyper child, seems a little overwhelming a place to ask the missionaries to endure. (my ex-husband, who lives in a luxury place in one of the most upscale parts of the city, very condescendingly says, when he visits us, usually wearing new clothes and a new pair of designer footwear every week, that visiting our place/neighborhood is like visiting a third world country lol) but this last visit that our missionaries scheduled with us, they actually knocked on our door and commanded a visit lol.

so i really don't think that our utility malfunctions have anything to do with any nefarious scheme on my part to lead them into degeneracy or anything of the sort.....but one never knows. i suppose it's something our bishop might suggest, and it's a suggestion that i'm quite vulnerable to believing these days, so i have clarified these thoughts here for my own sense of equilibrium on the matter. :closedeyes:

Guest mamacat

<div class='quotemain'>

B)

*tears well up in eyes* I'm so proud for you that you could do that! It was such a pain trying to get investigators to quit their coffee tea...

For herbal/fruit tea, try Rooibos (sp?). Most of the flavors non-caffeine--and it's so good! I have to say the best fruit tea I had was made by one of our investigators in Ostfriesland (the tea capitol of Germany)--apples and oranges and cranberries...with Kloentjes (little sugar candies). ^_^

O_O Wait...uh....anyway....(Turkan apple tea is great too!!!)....

Germany had a lot of substitutes for teas and coffees. Dutch cocoa and Karo coffee were among my favs...

Well, not really the Karo coffee. Bleh. Sugar doesn't help. ^_~

awwwww....thank you for that compliment Orrin Jelo. yes i love rooibos tea...very flavorful. and that one with the oranges, apples and cranberries...oooohhhh.....that sounds divine!! really it does. i've never tried tea with sugar candies. and oh yes, the hot chocolate, like dutch cocoa, has become my favorite now....i have it in place of lattes all the time.

and to answer Vanilla's question....while the scent of fresh coffee was at first very enticing, it no longer has that effect. i knew i would be ceasing my coffee/caffeine intake very soon, or at least was desirous of that. so in that respect, i also think that the call to the word of wisdom was very much part of a grander design. i know that caffeine and coffee have hindered me from being my healthiest, but had not yet found the strength to cease them completely. it always seemed that some 'emergency' would occur that i would just absolutely need that latte, or extra boost of caffiene. and i did miss the deep aroma and flavor of coffee so much at first. one item that helped tremendously was a chicory tea from celestial seasonings called 'roastaroma'. i can't find it in our regular markets, only in natural markets. but really, it's sooo good. blended with cream, it satisifies that urge for a deep rich comforting cup o' coffee quite satisfactorily. mmmmm, wish i had a steaming cup now, even in the little toaster oven that our apartment has become. ^_^

Guest MrsS

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Being unsafe like that does not sound too cool to me. -_-

unsafe like what?

riding bikes on the highway? or the fact missionaries sometimes do random unsafe things?

Suu San, did you actually SEE the Missionaries riding their bikes on the Highway? Or the Freeway? Have you witnessed first hand, them doing unsafe things? If not, then what you are doing here is spreading rumours. Or in other words - Gossiping. What does For The Strength of the Youth say about gossiping and spreading rumours?

"riding bikes on the highway" for which they were chewed out by the Bishop (or somebody). I was gone all day. I'm catching up on the older threads. Sorry for the delay and only replying to some of the earlier posts.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Being unsafe like that does not sound too cool to me. -_-

unsafe like what?

riding bikes on the highway? or the fact missionaries sometimes do random unsafe things?

Suu San, did you actually SEE the Missionaries riding their bikes on the Highway? Or the Freeway? Have you witnessed first hand, them doing unsafe things? If not, then what you are doing here is spreading rumours. Or in other words - Gossiping. What does For The Strength of the Youth say about gossiping and spreading rumours?

....oops....i heard it from my mom, who probably who it from grandma, who's natorious for spreading rumors....*hits head on desk* and i hate spreading rumors! Ahwell, the deed's been done....but what's the crazyest thing you've seen a missonary do? Or did to a missoinary? We stuck valentines on the missonay's door for a mutual activity :) it was fun, we felt stealthy!

Guest MrsS

We stuck valentines on the missonay's door for a mutual activity :) it was fun, we felt stealthy!

Ah, you Heart Attacked them! The Young Women did that to me too. I truly needed it too. I had just left my abusive husband, and was feeling pretty alone. The Sister Missionaries lived three mobile homes down from me in the court and they got Heart Attacked too.

Know what else came of those two wonderful and loving actions by the Young Women? The neighbors saw them doing this, watched them, asked them why and then two seperate households asked the Missionaries to explain more. Why would a "Religion" do this? For the most part, the people in the court were Baptists, and when their Preacher found out, he made my and the Missionaries life miserable. That's ok - I would send him a really cute card - blank with a garden scene on the front and tell him that I was praying for him, his family and his congregation. That I was asking Father to protect them, to shelter them all from the advesary.

A year later those two families in the court joined the Church. That next Valentines day the Missionaries(Elders this time) and I "Heart Attacked there front doors! We also Heart Attacked the front door of the Baptist Preacher's home. B)

Guest mamacat

<div class='quotemain'>

We stuck valentines on the missonay's door for a mutual activity :) it was fun, we felt stealthy!

Ah, you Heart Attacked them! The Young Women did that to me too. I truly needed it too. I had just left my abusive husband, and was feeling pretty alone. The Sister Missionaries lived three mobile homes down from me in the court and they got Heart Attacked too.

Know what else came of those two wonderful and loving actions by the Young Women? The neighbors saw them doing this, watched them, asked them why and then two seperate households asked the Missionaries to explain more. Why would a "Religion" do this? For the most part, the people in the court were Baptists, and when their Preacher found out, he made my and the Missionaries life miserable. That's ok - I would send him a really cute card - blank with a garden scene on the front and tell him that I was praying for him, his family and his congregation. That I was asking Father to protect them, to shelter them all from the advesary.

A year later those two families in the court joined the Church. That next Valentines day the Missionaries(Elders this time) and I "Heart Attacked there front doors! We also Heart Attacked the front door of the Baptist Preacher's home. B)

that's an awesome story MrsS...very sweet. :wub: