Diet Help

Gabelma

My daughter is getting headaches - I am pretty sure they are eyestrain caused (waiting for an appointment), but my Dr wants to have a special diet, I need to cut out dairy products, citrus and wheat.

I am struggling replacing her bedtime drink of pink milk (she won't take it made with soya or goats milk) ideas for a none dairy bedtime drink?

Charley

My daughter is getting headaches - I am pretty sure they are eyestrain caused (waiting for an appointment), but my Dr wants to have a special diet, I need to cut out dairy products, citrus and wheat.

I am struggling replacing her bedtime drink of pink milk (she won't take it made with soya or goats milk) ideas for a none dairy bedtime drink?

Charley

Ahhh yes, I have problems with dairy.

Soy is best, although you do have to get used to it.

Try frozen grapes, and other frozen fruits. Tastes like ice cream.

There's also shakes...

How old is your daughter? Does your doctor think that the headaches may be caused by allergies?

There are many Ensure type nutrition drinks and maybe you will find one that is dairy free and also and most importantly taste good! You can also blend strawberry flavoring and Cool Whip which is dairy free.

Citrus will be the hard one because many products are made with the unrefined products of citrus.

We are seeing more labeling for wheat and it is surprising what products contain it.

Avoid Honey as an alternative for children because it has a very high level of botulism that some kids cannot tolerate. It is a total taboo no-no for babies and toddlers.

Cream of rice is a good replacement for wheat.

I hope this is just a temporary diet. I don't know which could be harder teaching a child to wear glasses or asking them to give up their favorite food.

When I was in the 8th grade I started getting migraines. The Dr recommended cutting my heavy hair to a much shorter length (it was to my knees and they cut it to a short bob!), and getting my eyes tested.

I do have to wear glasses. The migraines didn't end though. I had them until I was in my thirties. Then a Nurse Practictioner suggested that I quit drinking red wine (I was inactive from Church, and drinking alcohol), scotch and whiskey, no smoked foods such as smoked fish, nuts, cheeses. No cheddar cheeses. Go easy on the cider vinegar too. Anything fermented/cured in smoked oak casks, anything smoked, anything aged.

When I quit with those foods, the migrains stopped. I am now 55 and have had maybe three migraines since I was 34. Each time it was triggered by eating Extra Sharp Cheese and some roasted almonds. I absolutely LOVE Extra Sharp Cheddar too. But I CAN NOT eat it unless I want to go through a dibilitating migrain!

Check out this site: http://www.migrainehelp.com/2.understandin...e_triggers.html

You might also see about taking her to a Chiropractor - wish my parents had done that for me when I was growing up. I go now about every 3 to 5 weeks and my piddling little headaches (which they are compared to my migrains) are a thing of the past.

Bolthouse Farm's "Green Goodness Juice", probably my favorite thing to drink...looks very gross (thick green liquid), but is really good...

Actually all the Bolthouse Farm drinks are really good. They are kinda expensive though, because they are all real ingredients, no additives or preservatives, and have a pretty short self life.

Even the healthiest juices should taste great. Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness starts with incredibly nutritious things like wheat grass, spirulina, spinach - even blue-green algae. Then we make it as delicious as it is healthy by adding apples, kiwis, mangos, bananas, pineapples and star fruit. It is a good source of iron and vitamin B6, naturally rich in vitamins A, C, and B12, and packed with powerful phytonutrients found in nature's most nutritious greens.

http://www.bolthouse.com/html/cs_green_juice_n.html

Also in regards to honey..

It is a total taboo no-no for babies and toddlers.

Why?

Guest Yediyd

Also in regards to honey..

It is a total taboo no-no for babies and toddlers.

Why?

Honey carries botulism, and can be fatal to babies and small children.

NutraSweet (Aspartame) can cause headaches, seizures, ...etc. It contains methyl alcohol. You can read more about it here: http://www.breadbeckers.com/honey.htm

This is a short article about Honey Botulism and Infants: www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism

I already cook most things from scratch so the sweetners aren't a concern I would rather deal with bad teeth than cancer so use sugar or honey as a sweetner - cutting out most of the things on the list has been easy, I have learned to bake bread with rye flour and other kinds of flour. Its the wrong season for citrus anyway here if I am going to get any it will be in the winter.

Ellie has decided honey and warm ginger beer will be a good replacement but thans for suggestions.

This article on honey was my deciding factor (well not just the one article but it contains the information) and I do now let my children have honey, its a pretty effective healing agent for many things

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/sto...1555326,00.html

Charley