Should I switch guitar teachers?

MormonGuitarGirl

Hi everyone,

I am so stressed out about this. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Long story short, I started teaching myself acoustic guitar in February 2013, learning entirely by chord grids. I could not read standard notation until I started with my teacher this January. When I met him, he'd been teaching for only about 6 months.

We get along great and I love my lessons, but fast-forward to present day and he's telling me I'm his most advanced student and that I'm at the point now where I can pretty much figure out whatever I want to play on my own. He said he doesn't need to check things unless I have a question because he doesn't want to hold me back and that he has no idea what we'll do once we finish these few songs I picked out (when we've already finished one and are halfway through another). He also told me he teaches basic and beginner guitar all day and this bores him. In all honesty, other than answering the occasional question, I feel like he's guiding more than teaching, and I don't really feel challenged that much. If it helps, he's a jazz guy and I'm predominately country fingerstyle but am willing to do any genre as long as it's arranged for fingerstyle. :)

I talked with a friend who has taught classical for many years and some of the things he said really stuck out to me. He asked me if I felt like I needed a teacher, if I thought my teacher was "letting me go," and then he told me to visit with a new one but talk with my current one. Then he told me it might be time for a new one. :(

This is a big deal to me because I know that Heavenly Father has blessed me with a talent for guitar; I've received too many confirmations/answers to prayers time and time again to even think about doubting this. I want to make sure I use this gift carefully and I don't want to stay with my current teacher if it's not what's best for my talent. I want to use it for what Heavenly Father wants me to use it for. I want it to help people and bring glory to Him. I don't want Him to be disappointed in me.

I've been praying and praying and will continue, but I'm so confused! I feel so stuck.

I'm hoping once I talk to him he'll be able to give me what I need. I mean, he did increase the workload once before when I told him it was too easy, but that was a long time ago. I want to believe it's just his lack of experience and that he just doesn't know what to do with people once they finish the method books and that he'll understand. I feel like he's always been honest with me and wouldn't keep me just for the money.

Do you think he's hinting at letting me go?

This is going to be a hard conversation. I also don't want to come off as arrogant, either, when telling him I need more challenge, even though he is giving me free reign to do whatever I want and I don't think he would take it that way. I want to stay humble about this, because I know it comes from God, but I also know I need to be honest like I feel he's being with me. I know there's much more to learn, I just don't know if he's the one that can teach me further, and I don't want to hold myself back because I kmow that's not what God wants.

Thanks.

The best teachers guide students to where they can improve, but it takes the hard work of the student to actually learn.

If you plan to continue improving on guitar, like many other disciplines there will come a time when others will have less to teach you. It is possible you have already reached what he knows. It could also be that you have simply surpassed the level he normally teaches at and simply needs to spend some time to have better material for you. Learn to learn for yourself, at the same time it is always helpful to get feed back from those you know, who are experienced.

A new teacher could be what you need, it is why a kindergarten teacher doesn't teach rocket science at a graduate college.

Maybe you would like to stay in touch with your past teacher, so maybe you could find a compromise. Spend some time with a new teacher who can teach you some more advanced things, and some time, but less than before, with your original teacher.

Ultimately your teacher will be able to help guide you on this decision if you ask about it. He can probably guide you far better than us internet people who don't know you.

Ask him about your current ability and how much farther he thinks he can help guide you. You can always ask if it would be helpful to take a college class, or attend a music workshop.

(Just my own suggestion, Learn to play in a different style, sometimes you will find surprising improvements because of the difference)

No need to stress about this.  It's quite normal to move beyond a teacher's ability to teach.  My husband learned trumpet growing up and was told by a teacher that he couldn't help that much any more and it was time to find someone more advanced so he did and continued to progress in his talent.  Just thank the current teacher, let him know you'll recommend him to others and call it good.

Guest MormonGator

Every good teacher knows when it's time to let their student move on. It's a compliment, not something to worry about. 

I play the guitar as well. :-)

Edited by MormonGator

If I had any teacher who even hinted that it was time for me to move on, I'd be out the door faster than you could strum a G-major chord.  He may be uncomfortable with the situation and might feel guilty taking your money if he thinks he's not teaching you anything substantive.

But this part about not needing a teacher strikes me as very odd.  My piano teacher was very gifted and had been playing for 20+ years, and even he took lessons now and then from masters who had something to teach him.

Stick with it, if you have the gift of music don't waste it.  It's too precious.

My only suggestion (if you're dying to stick with this teacher) is to learn to play something other than finger-style country.  I've been playing for a bit (not nearly as long as you) but already I've found how much learning a different kind of something can help me get better at something else I'd struggled with.

• 2 weeks later...