What has your child taught you in 2015?

Bini

Sometimes I overlook the fact that my daughter has taught me some valuable lessons. She's not quite four yet, so even though the teaching moment is unintentional, there's still an impact when I reflect back on it. I remember one evening, I was feeling miserable, and I ended up loudly snapping at my husband over something silly (as in, not important or worth getting aggravated over). My daughter says, "Mama, that hurts me ears! Please don't shout. When you feel so mad and you want to roar, take a deep breath, and count to 4!" (This is a Daniel The Tiger song.) It definitely made me stop and think, hmm, I need to cool down. Also reminded me that children are sensitive to how parents interact with each other.

Another teaching moment was being at the store. I consider myself friendly and approachable but among strangers, I don't tend to go out of my way to smile or greet others. I find it so cool that my daughter feels comfortable smiling and greeting people we walk past, kids or adults, it doesn't matter. She has this charity in her where she gets joy from reaching out to others. Most people return the smile or greet, and occasionally she's totally ignored, but it doesn't seem to phase her - she continues to do it. She's such a great example of not worrying how others perceive her and showing kindness. I guess I need to work on breaking out of my comfort zone and not worrying about whether such a gesture is returned in fear of awkwardness.

Okay, feel free to share your experience. What has your child or children taught you in 2015? This isn't limited to small children but grown children, maybe even grandchildren, too :) 

Yesterday, my son and I were talking about mistakes we've made and instead of avoiding them we find ourselves repeating them. He brought up how he participated in taunting a classmate when he was in junior high school even though he knew it was wrong--and he rationalized it along with his friends as they told themselves that the classmate kind of deserved it for things he had done first. He told me how he thinks about this (with much shame); and when he encounters people giving a store cashier or some other "unimportant" person a bad time, and when he himself feels tempted to do the same because the "unimportant" person behaved wrongly first. I don't know if this makes sense, but it made sense to me during my conversation yesterday.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

My 2 boys are both Young Men now and the younger one has always been the mama's boy type.  Lately, he's been making us breakfast before I even wake!  One time, he put my breakfast in a tray and handed it to me while I was still in bed trying to get myself started.  I was so floored by the breakfast in bed that I exclaimed without thinking, "You're my favorite son!"... my son laughed, my husband said, "you don't say that!", I was struck dumb with mortification, and my older son also laughed and said, "it's okay mom.  You're allowed a favorite.  I still know you love me just as much."  Okay, so my sons have watched Meet Joe Black with me.  Hah hah.

So now, when my younger son does something his older brother thinks is not the right thing to do, he tells him... you can't be doing that.  You need to live up to your role as the favorite son.

This strikes me as interesting because we always tell my older son - you can't be doing that.  You need to live up to your role as a Priesthood holder.

Okay, what this teaches me is... Young Men are pretty awesome at understanding their mothers.

Edited by anatess