Question on the Law of Chastity

cornysal

Ok, so I'll straight to the point. My girlfriend and I have made out and petted each other. After we had realized what we had done we had felt horrible and decided to repent. After which we had made plans never get ourselves in a situation like that again. Yes I repented but something doesn't feel right. She said that she feels forgiven and everything but I still get a little sick to my stomach when I think about it.

First off, deep breaths!  You are not the first person, nor will you be the last person, to be in this situation.  Even good members of the Church sometimes mess up and engage in petting - it happens, and that is what repentance is for.  That said, it is good you are no longer petting and you are repenting - sexual sin tends to be a slippery slope, and petting can lead to much worse sins (e.g., fornication) very quickly.

Second, as for your lingering feelings of guilt, have you spoken with the bishop about the petting?  My understanding is that petting is generally the type of thing you should speak to the bishop about.  The feelings may be the holy spirit prompting you to speak to the bishop.  Don't be scared - just go and tell your bishop exactly what you wrote here.  Your bishop has probably dealt with this situation repeatedly before - especially if you are in a singles' ward.  I guarantee you will feel 100% better, and it will complete your repentance process.  

Edited by DoctorLemon

What DoctorLemon said - you need to go talk to the Bishop.  It sounds and feels scary, and a significant percentage of your being will tell you not to, but do it anyway - it will feel so much better afterwards.  Your bishop has special keys in regards to repentance.

Your girlfriend should follow the same advice.

If I may chime in a second time tonight as I am stuck at work very late, you should consider going to the bishop sooner rather than later.  Sin is a heavy burden to bear, and that sick feeling is not going to go away.  

I read a story about a lady who got into trouble for petting or something similar when she was a teenager, and waited until middle age to confess to the bishop.  She finally burst out crying in an interview and said what happened, and the bishop told her then and there that she had been forgiven.  Think about that for a second- she carried the burden of a mistake for 30 years, feeling sad and worried all the time about it!  Almost half her life was tainted by the fear and worry.  What a waste!

Don't let that be you.  It is not worth partially missing out on your youth because you are afraid to go to the bishop, especially over something like petting.  Get it over with and feel better!  

Alright, thanks everybody. I'm just really nervous because before all of this I turned in my mission papers. And I got my call and I'm leaving March 29th. I just want to be worthy before then ya know? I'll talk to my bishop, thanks again guys.

Do you mind if I ask where you got your mission call to?  I'm always curious where people are going.

Guest MormonGator

Don't beat yourself up my friend. You are a good guy just for agreeing to go on a mission! Don't ever forget that. 

We are all mortals and we all fall short. 

Edited by MormonGator

Alright, thanks everybody. I'm just really nervous because before all of this I turned in my mission papers. And I got my call and I'm leaving March 29th. I just want to be worthy before then ya know? I'll talk to my bishop, thanks again guys.

Please DO see your bishop and please don't procrastinate.
I can confidently promise you two things.
1. Your bishop will be understanding and will help you regain your worthiness to serve a mission. 
2. If you don't see your bishop and make a confession, you will not be an effective missionary. You will not enjoy the companionship of the Spirit except to trouble your conscience until you finally do confess. Confession and repentance NOW will be much easier and rewarding than it will be after you've entered the mission field. 
Again, please don't procrastinate. 
Edited by Capitalist_Oinker