Enduring trials...

NeedleinA

I have shared this thought with members over the years, and leave it here today in the hopes of helping someone else as well.

It comes from D&C 121: 7-8. 
Section heading reads: ...The Prophet and several companions had been months in prison (Liberty). Their petitions and appeals directed to the executive officers and the judiciary had failed to bring them relief. 

In one of the most trying times in Joseph Smith's life and after pleading/crying/begging to the Lord to relieve him of his burdens, Joseph received the following answer:

7. My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8.  And then, if thou endure it, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all they foes.

I love these scriptures, however, I wrote it wrong...did you notice?
Sometimes we understand the fact that we need to "endure" trials, however, I personally believe that is not where the blessings lay. Enduring for some is just basic survival instinct. A P.O.W. can "endure". A mother giving birth can "endure". A marriage facing heavy financial troubles can simply "endure" too. I think the blessings are not simply in "enduring" but rather "enduring it WELL". The Lord told Joseph "if thou endure it well", you get the blessing "exalt thee on high". 

When trials come our way, do we find ourselves "enduring" OR "enduring it well"? Do we curse God or our Spouse during trials? If we do, that probably isn't "well", that is simply enduring and I suggest we miss out on many blessings. This idea is seen every month during fast Sunday. Do you simply (endure) starve yourself and get mad and upset you can't eat, or is fast Sunday a pleasure?

A little food for thought (no pun intended) the next time trials come your way... try enduring it WELL and see the difference.

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest LiterateParakeet

Needle, I agree with you, but I worry that people will emotionally flagellate themselves needlessly if they misunderstand the point.  

What does "endure it well" mean?  Perhaps the answer is individual?  We often hold Job up as an exemplar.  We talk about "the patience of Job" etc.  And I'm afraid that we might beat ourselves up for not being "good enough", "not patient" enough.  Are women more likely to judge themselves so harshly?   If so, perhaps that is the reason that the Savior's response to Mary was different.  When she came to him crying (and possibly angry) and said, "If you had been here, my brother would not have died."  He didn't tell her that her suffering would be but for a moment (even though in that case it certainly was).  He simply wept with her.  I love that.   

But I digress, let's get back to Job.  If he is an example of enduring well (and to me he is)...then let's look at one one portion of enduring well means...Job 3

20 Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul;  21 Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures;  22 Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave 23 Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?

Job was really hurting, and longing for death.  Enduring well, doesn't mean that you don't cry out for relief as Job, or Joseph Smith, or our Savior did.  Never think that because you are in anguish that you are not "enduring well".  

What if your trials cause you to have doubts or to falter or fear?  Then remember Peter, he was bold enough to cut off a Roman Soldier's ear in one moment, and denied Christ three times later....but went on to be a powerful leader.  

I agree that we need to endure well.  I just hope that when we are trying to determine if we are enduring well, that we don't judge ourselves too harshly.  When I was in the going through my darkest time, I cried, I ranted, I got mad at the Lord, and I seriously considered suicide.  But I kept fighting and I made it through.  I'm stronger now because of it.  I love the Lord, and I know that He loves me.  

Did I endure well?  The dictionary says endure means "suffer patiently".  I don't think I was patient at all.  But as I said, I'm still here.  I see so many leaving the church these days, leaving the Lord.  I could have been one of them, but I'm still here.  I'm stronger than before and I know the Lord is pleased with me.  To me that is enduring well.  

5 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I agree that we need to endure well.  I just hope that when we are trying to determine if we are enduring well, that we don't judge ourselves too harshly.  When I was in the going through my darkest time, I cried, I ranted, I got mad at the Lord, and I seriously considered suicide.  But I kept fighting and I made it through.  I'm stronger now because of it.  I love the Lord, and I know that He loves me.  (Wonderful)

Did I endure well?  The dictionary says endure means "suffer patiently".  I don't think I was patient at all.  But as I said, I'm still here.  I see so many leaving the church these days, leaving the Lord.  I could have been one of them, but I'm still here.  I'm stronger than before and I know the Lord is pleased with me.  To me that is enduring well.  

Wonderful addition LP. As always I'm glad you added your thoughts and I appreciate you and your experiences tremendously.
I tried not to define "well" in the OP, but rather simply hoped that as a person goes through a trial, they would take time to step back and ask themselves, "Am I simply enduring or enduring this well?". What "well" is, is going to be very individual and like you said, judging ourselves too harshly is counterproductive. 

On the flip side, I'm afraid that if we don't periodically ask ourselves this question during the trials, we can easily fade down the opposite path, away from God. There are blessings in both, enduring and enduring well, I pray we can all strive to receive "all" of those blessings. 

Edited by NeedleinA

To get back to Job, he didn't really bear it with a lot of patience.  He cursed the day he was born and cried out for his own death.  His friends told him to curse God and die.  But he refused to curse God.  He cursed everything else.

Joseph in Liberty Jail cursed his condition and suffered tremendously.  But instead of cursing God, he approached Him in humble prayer.

When I went through extended unemployment a few years ago.  I did not endure it well.  I blamed God for putting me in that position.  I declared publicly that He has decided to abandon me.  I could go on.  I wasn't really in my right mind.  But I kept going to church.  I kept doing home teaching.  I continued to love my wife and children.  I kept trying to stay busy around the house.  It was really depressing.  I, too, considered suicide.  My life insurance policy actually covered death by suicide.  So, yeah, it was a temptation.  

In the end, though, I came out of it with a renewed faith in God.  I had a renewed sense of my own self-worth.  I came out with a renewed outlook on life.  I saw so many things for how trivial they were.  I saw the things of eternal worth.