It's been a long time.

poohthebear

Good Afternoon All,

I haven't been on here in a long time.  So, I will Re-Introduce myself.

here's the shorthand version....LOL

53 - Female - Kentucky - 3 grown Boys - Married to Non-member.

Member of the Church

I have PTSD so being active in going to Church is hard.  I guess the Word of Wisdom is my biggest stumbling block.  

I could use all of YOUR Words of Wisdom.  

thanks

Have a Great Day !!!!

I understand about the PTSD. My nerves get easily frazzled in church with the noise and the crowd.

Keep pressing forward and trying to do what's right. Elder Holland's talk at the end of this last General Conference was great encouragement. Worth listening to again.

Edited by tesuji

Guest LiterateParakeet

Welcome back!

So sorry to hear about the PTSD, I have it also.  Since you asked for our wisdom, may I share something I learned (again) this week?  (I say learned again, because some lessons need to be learned over and over...apparently because I keep forgetting.   :) )

Recently, I told my therapist that I really want to get my house in order (it's total chaos).  But it's hard for me because cleaning the kitchen and dining room, in particular, are triggering for me.  Seriously, first my mood changes to anger, and if i persist the anxiety builds and builds until I'm crying.  It's awful.  So I told my therapist, "This has got to stop. Because I need to clean my house."

I thought she would tell me how to make it stop, but she didn't (not exactly).  She said, "You can't hide from those feelings. You have to face them.  Go ahead and clean, and when you feel like crying, take some private time and let those feelings out."  

Aha...of course.  I had been trying to avoid those feelings (mostly by delegating the cleaning to the kids...and you know how kids clean . . .)  When she said that, I realized that I knew what she was saying was true.  So I gathered my courage and determined that I would clean...and cry....for as long as it took.  It didn't take too long before I could clean without having a melt down.  And now my house is almost in order.  Hallelujah!

I had a similar problem with church.  For a long time, I spent a portion of every Sunday crying in the bathroom because something or someone had triggered me.  I desperately wanted to stop going to church.  After all, why put myself through that, right?  But I knew my family would be crushed if I stopped, and even more importantly, the Savior, who gave his life for me, would be disappointed.  So I kept going, and kept crying until I had worked through all that pain.  It's been a couple years now since I cried in the bathroom at church.

So what I have learned about PTSD is this...there is hope.  But you have to allow the feelings to come up and work through them.  Avoiding them only prolongs the pain and suffering.  

Best of luck!  

Guest LiterateParakeet
8 hours ago, tesuji said:

I understand about the PTSD. My nerves get easily frazzled in church with the noise and the crowd.

Keep pressing forward and trying to do what's right. Elder Holland's talk at the end of this last General Conference was great encouragement. Worth listening to again.

Sorry to hear you have PTSD too.  I agree with you about Elder Holland's talk.  It was so beautiful and so comforting! 

On 4/9/2016 at 3:20 PM, poohthebear said:

Good Afternoon All,

I haven't been on here in a long time.  So, I will Re-Introduce myself.

here's the shorthand version....LOL

53 - Female - Kentucky - 3 grown Boys - Married to Non-member.

Member of the Church

I have PTSD so being active in going to Church is hard.  I guess the Word of Wisdom is my biggest stumbling block.  

I could use all of YOUR Words of Wisdom.  

thanks

Have a Great Day !!!!

welcome, welcome!. wishing the best for ya.