LDS Perspectives: Joseph’s Seer Stones

Dr. Michael Hubbard MacKay earned his PhD in history at the University of York. He now teaches early Mormon history and the Doctrine and Covenants as an assistant professor at BYU in the Department of Church History and Doctrine. He has also worked as a historian/writer for the Joseph Smith Paper Project and as a visiting professor for the Department of History at BYU. In this episode of LDS Perspectives Dr. MacKay is interviewed by Russell Stevenson. Some may not realize that Joseph continued to use seer stones after the Book of Mormon was translated. He used them while translating the Bible, when dictating revelations, and even when giving patriarchal blessings. After his death, Joseph's stones were passed down to succeeding presidents of the church and looked upon as sacred relics. Dr. Mackay claims the seer stones were not simply a tool to give Joseph confidence to translate; they represent something much more significant. Listen to the podcast here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/ldsperspectives/9LDSP_-_Seer_Stones.mp3   or at the LDS Perspectives website. Then be sure to listen to these podcasts coming in November: 11.23.16: Lehi in Mesoamerica with Brant Gardner 11.30.16:...

View the full article

It may be of interest to some.  While I was traveling in Turkey last spring I found a very unique dealer in a shop close to the ancient city of Ephesus.  In his little shop he sold a number of what he claimed to be ancient religious relics with mystic powers.   Of course I had no reason to believe that there was anything of real value to anyone that buys and sells such things.  But in one corner of his shop there was a small box – about a cubic foot with about a half dozen smooth stones in the shape of very large eggs.  Two of the stones had an interesting resemblance to one of the sear stones belonging to Joseph.

I thought I might purchase one of the stones but as I thought about it – determined not to do so.  There would be no advantage to me to own such a thing regardless if it was real or fake.  BTW – there was a nearby shop that advertised “Genuine Fakes”.  It was that particular sign that convinced me not to purchase the stone.

The Traveler

11 hours ago, Traveler said:

there was a nearby shop that advertised “Genuine Fakes”.

The term "Genuine Fake" is actually fairly common outside the US.  What it means is that it isn't just a knock-off brand.  It "supposedly" means that unless you do a chemical composition breakdown, you can't really tell the difference between them and the real thing.

My hunch is that these are the many rejects from high end brands that didn't make the QA/QC checklist and would otherwise be thrown away.  In reality, very few are actually thrown away.  Many make it to outlet stores.  Others make it to "genuine fakes".  Still others are sold to a knock-off brand or a lower level brand of the same company such as Sanyo is to Sony.