Paint Thinner Stain

Annabelli

We have a paint thinner stain on a football jersey. I am thinking that the stain was caused when the paint thinner soaked through the white letter which is sewn over the red shirt. So the pinkish stain may be dye. I had forgot about the stain and washed the jersey cold/detergent/dryer. Now it is a set-in stain. It didn't lighten up much if any when I washed it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I'll wash it and use some Dawn. The fabric paint is a good idea. I was thinking of touching up the letters but I had not thought of fabric paint.

It's a high school football game jersey.....no replacement.....Good News.....Senior tradition, We will buy it at the end of the season.

:hmmm: Why don't they wear protective shields in Auto Body Class?

according to "the queen of clean"...

Grease and Oil

To deal with a grease stain, you need to know whether it is from animal oil, vegetable oil or automotive. Be aware that grease and oil can leave a semitransparent stain that turns dark from all the soil it attracts. To remove a grease stain, first remove as much of the greasy substance as possible without forcing the grease further down into the fabric fibers. Use a paper towel to blot and absorb all the grease that you can. Next apply a drawing agent such as baking soda, cornstarch or talcum powder. Rub it in and let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes to allow it to absorb and draw the grease out of the fabric. Brush the powder off thoroughly and check the stain. If it looks like you can absorb more grease repeat the process. For tough grease stains sprinkle the stain with cornstarch, cover with an old lightweight rag and press with a medium-hot iron to absorb the grease/oil.

Sometimes grease stains can be stubborn and we need to fall back on the idea that grease removes grease. Therefore, you want to spray the grease spot with WD-40 Lubricant and let it soak for 10 minutes and then work in undiluted dishwashing liquid and work well between your thumbs. Flush with the hottest water you can for the fabric, pre-treat and launder as usual. Do not use this method on silk or crease-resistant finishes.

I think that I will save some of those tips for the next fish oil stain.

The Dawn took out all the ground in turf from the letters and made them new looking white but the paint thinner stains were still there, just brighter too.

It's too humid and rainy to try fabric paint.

The football player told me that the auto body paint thinner was red so it was not dye from the shirt.

I called the Sports House and they said if I removed the letters myself that they could replace them this afternoon. So that is what I did. The usual warrior helmet paint is still on the shoulders and that is supposed to stay there.

• 2 years later...