In Pictures: How To Spot An E-mail Scam

StrawberryFields

In Pictures: How to Spot an E-Mail Scam

When I saw this on the MSN page I read through it and felt it valuable enough that I thought I would send it to my children as an reminder. I get email scams sent to me through a fake ebay link too often to recal and I have a link 'spoof' that I forward them too. My current practice is that if I don't know the source I won't click on anything in the email.

http://tech.msn.com/products/slideshow.asp...6&GT1=10540

I get those a lot too. Usually when there is a link in it, if I roll my mouse over the highlight, the address on the bottom of my screen is different from the highlighted address. That automatically tells me they are not being honest.

I get emails claiming to be from ebay or paypal all the time. If I do think they may be legit, I never click on the link in the email, I use the link saved in my favorites to go to the site and check if there are any issues I need to address. Lately I have been getting emails from a bank I have never done business with asking to bverify my information with them. That's an obvious scam, but it makes me wonder how many people get burned by this.

My daughter got an education last year playing a kid's online game. During the course of the game they gather points that they can use to 'buy' items for their character. One day she got an instant message from someone claiming to be from the admin asking her to verify her password. She did, and the next time she logged on, all of her points she had gathered had disappeared. She had been scammed for points which have no value in the real world.