Teaching Our Children about Tithing

---------------------------------------------------

"Too often we as parents do not teach and encourage our children to

live this law because their contribution only amounts to a few cents. But

without a testimony of tithing, they are vulnerable. In their teenage

years, they become attracted to clothes, entertainment, and expensive

possessions and risk losing the special protection that tithing

provides."

(Robert D. Hales "Tithing: A Test of Faith with Eternal Blessings," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 28-29)

Several years ago my wife and I found ourselves raising two of our grandchildren. When each one turned eight, I baptised them and we had a talk about tithing. I told them now that they were accountable before the Lord that they had additional commandments to obey, one of then being tithing.

I gave each of them $5.00 a week as their "salary" for doing specific things during the week. Soon my grandson said that he no longer wanted to pay his tithe of fifty cents a week. I told him that was fine with me and he should do it because he wanted to.

I also told him that the $5.00 was a "tithing allowence", but if he wanted to choose to receive a "non-tithing allowence", we could do that. He asked how much a non-tithing allowence was. I told him $3.00. He said OK if he didn't have to pay tithe on it. It didn't take him but one week to figure out that he kept $4.50 by paying tithe and only $3.00 by not paying it. By the second week he came to me and said, "Grandad, I think I would like to start paying tithe again".

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I taught my son this leson last week.

I made him give me 10% of his candy :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:lol::lol:

And what did he make of that?

He actualy said "You're not the church so I don't have to." :rofl:

Hehehehe....

How very precious he sounds.. hehe

Several years ago my wife and I found ourselves raising two of our grandchildren. When each one turned eight, I baptised them and we had a talk about tithing. I told them now that they were accountable before the Lord that they had additional commandments to obey, one of then being tithing.

I gave each of them $5.00 a week as their "salary" for doing specific things during the week. Soon my grandson said that he no longer wanted to pay his tithe of fifty cents a week. I told him that was fine with me and he should do it because he wanted to.

I also told him that the $5.00 was a "tithing allowence", but if he wanted to choose to receive a "non-tithing allowence", we could do that. He asked how much a non-tithing allowence was. I told him $3.00. He said OK if he didn't have to pay tithe on it. It didn't take him but one week to figure out that he kept $4.50 by paying tithe and only $3.00 by not paying it. By the second week he came to me and said, "Grandad, I think I would like to start paying tithe again".

That sounds like an excellent plan, Tex :) ;):lol: