Orrin Hatch Lovefest

anatess2

I always found him to be too liberal for my tastes.  He believes in big government so long as it does his bidding.

And there was also the accusation that he was the main force behind the Patriot Act.  HELLO, Big gub'mnt.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I always found him to be too liberal for my tastes.  He believes in big government so long as it does his bidding.

And there was also the accusation that he was the main force behind the Patriot Act.  HELLO, Big gub'mnt.

I think I’ve mentioned before, my in-laws hosted a sort of neighborhood gathering that Hatch’s campaign organized in 2010 to try to mend fences after the Tea Party threw Bennett overboard.  Hatch wasn’t there, but some of his staff honchos were.  They talked a good game during the event, but I chatted with them afterwards—since I was a law school grad they considered me “one of them” and said a few things to me that hadn’t said to their larger audience.

Suffice it to say, the utter contempt in which they (and I could only presume, their boss) held the Tea Party movement was palpable.  

As far as replacements go Romney is “likeable enough”, to coin a phrase; but I think Mike Kennedy would have been a better choice.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Hatch is a from the Republican old guard - the Bush wing, so to speak.

It’s why it’s so fun seeing his office become prime examples of Trump’s promise to “teach them”.

Romnry is from that old guard.  He’s not learning a thing.

Now, Graham... after McCain passed it’s like Graham didn’t just learn, he went Super Saiyan on that learning!

Speaking of old guards, if the Dems would have gone after Kavanaugh on judicial issues instead of their stupid character assassination stunt, they probably could have swayed some Trumpers on Kavanaugh vs the 4th amendment.  But no... Dems are too stupid.

As mixed as my feelings are about Kavanaugh, it’s been nice seeing “Angry Orrin” (and Graham, and some others) for a change.  How much of that is Trump, versus how much is the absence of McCain and/or the Dems’ own manifest unwillingness to reach across the aisle, and/or Hatch’s own lame-duck status, perhaps remains to be seen it.

But as entertaining as it is, the whole deal swung on Collins, Flake, and Murkowski.  And, you’re right—that the Dems managed to alienate two of the three whilst losing one of their own in the process, is very telling.