The Somber Irony of Modern-day Thanksgiving (And What You Can Do About It)

This last week at the elementary school where I teach a lady came in to talk about Thanksgiving with the students. She asked the students if they knew which holiday was coming up. Of course, one student replied “Thanksgiving!” But then I heard another student shout out, “wait, there’s one more—Black Friday!” I silently chuckled at my student’s silly reply: Black Friday—a holiday?! But the bleak reality is that, in a way, Black Friday has become a holiday in our consumptive culture. Black Friday Advertisements monopolize the television and radio, and some people today even look forward to Black Friday more than Thanksgiving! The Irony of it All  The irony of Black Friday in the past has been that we supposedly gave thanks on Thursday but the sales of Black Friday crept up on us the next day, and we became obsessed with buying what we didn't have before. But today, Black Friday has become an entirely different beast: today, many stores with sales actually open on Thanksgiving, drawing individuals from their...

View the full article