Scripture Study Group

myapk

Hello!

Following the change instituted by President Eyring from a three-hour block to a two-hour block with home study, I received the impression that I should form a home study group. I attend a YSA ward and many of my fellow wardmembers live alone, so they have no way to differentiate "personal study" from "family study." I've had a lot of interest in my ward (and from other wards I've visited in that time), including a couple of the "proper adult" wives of Bishopric members. So far, I have only invited sisters from my Relief Society. I have been a teacher in the Relief Society for about four years now, and was recently called to Activities Co-Director, but I'm feeling incredibly out of my depth. The Come Follow Me manual, from what I've looked over, doesn't seem incredibly in-depth on creating a study plan; it's rather open ended beyond the actual reading. I'm sure it's to let the Spirit guide you, but I'm hesitant to get into a group and be entirely at the whims of the group to take us around the scriptures, or my own. I'm a bit of a Bible study freak. Already, I've compiled far too many additional resources for the ladies to assist in their scripture study (political maps, verse comparisons for the gospels, bible study methods, color coding suggestions, book overviews, author overviews... I'm drowning in "this might helps." :p), and I'm afraid if left to my own devices I'll end up spiraling into doctrinal minutia no one cares about, needs, or, worse, may damage one's proper understanding of the subject.

Is there any advice you would offer on good questions to ask a study group, methods to create a flexible discussion plan, and how to keep a study on track — whilst also not running over a discussion with one's own ideas.

(As a side note, I will be repeating a disclaimer at the start of each session; "we sustain the Bretheren of the Church and what they have ordained for us. This study group is not an additional hour of church to make up for the lost class period; it's a way for us to study together, learn from one another, and fellowship with our non-biological family. While we are not opposed to asking questions and giving opinions on ambiguous doctrine, we recognize that we are meeting without oversight from the Bretheren of the Church and much of what we discuss tonight may be opinion only. Seek out Church-approved resources and personal revelation for confirmation of anything you hear tonight. We also remind you that personal revelation is a sacred insight from God and may not be appropriate to shave with everyone; follow the Spirit's promptings on when to share and when not to.")

My recommendations:

1) Review this article:

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/re-17-no-3-2016/doctrine-models-evaluate-types-and-sources-latter-day-saint-teachings

I can't stress the importance of differentiating between Core or Eternal Doctrine, Versus Supportive, Policy, and Esoteric Doctrine.

Make sure that you never stray far from Core Doctrine.  You can spend time in the interesting side material as long as it always strengthens or supports the core doctrine.  Beware of the esoteric material.  

2) I believe that this new Come, Follow Me study manual is inspired.  It feels different then the prior manuals that we have received.  I will not stray far from it for the next year.  

3) Just browsing over the first lesson, it stresses some important directives:  Invite Sharing, Teach the Doctrine, Learning requires acting in faith, All class members have responsibility to invite the Spirit into the class, We need to know the truth for ourselves, Strengthen testimonies, Encourage learning at home.  

4) Under the link to ideas to improve your personal scripture study: Look for truths about Jesus Christ, Look for inspiring words or phrases, Look for Gospel Truths, Listen to the Spirit, Liken the Scriptures to your life, ASK QUESTIONS AS YOU STUDY, Use scripture study helps, record your thought and feelings, Study the Words of Latter-day Prophets and Apostles, Share insights, Live by What You Learn.

1 hour ago, myapk said:

but I'm hesitant to get into a group and be entirely at the whims of the group to take us around the scriptures

As long as whomever leads the group has reviewed the material and acts as a shepherd to keep the group focused on the lesson and Core or Eternal Doctrines I think you will be ok.  

I believe that this new platform can be incredibly powerful, but it will take the initiative of the members to prepare (via personal study) prior to coming together as a group to discuss the material.  I have taught Gospel Doctrine classes and the first thing I always ask is whom within the class has reviewed the material.  As you can imagine, many times only one or two hands are raised...  

Individually we will get out of this program as much as we invest into it.   

It will be easy for me to shepherd my family.  You may have a more difficult time.  Remember the difference between the shepherd and the sheep herder.  The Shepherd leads from the front and gently guides the flock.  Sheep herders use dogs and harsh directives to corral the flock.  

Do you plan on having multiple or rotating shepherds?

@mikbone, I appreciate your reply. The article you linked was wonderful, and I'll definitely be printing it out for my sisters to read (along with the other 50 things I've found for them 😅). I honestly hadn't been trying to teach doctrine at all; I was planning more on learning the Scriptures as their authors intended rather than applying current standards, but I suppose doctrinal discussions will be inevitable. I suppose it would be like trying to steer a ship in square waves.

I find myself at a loss with the manual. Most of the information is either geared towards families in a way that a group of singles (or even a single person) cannot properly address, or is geared towards individual learners without thought for how a group lesson may be achieved. I feel deep sympathy for the Sunday School teachers who will be required to teach from it — and I've been teaching from Conference talks for the last year. I simply don't have the slightest idea on how to turn the amalgamation of topics, sporadic scripture references, and family activities into a coherent discussion on what we've read.

I am immensely worried that without some semblance of lesson plan, flexible or otherwise, we'll end up 45 minutes into a rabbit hole no one actually cares about, and I also feel like I personally would be the one trying to drag us all to wonderland. Call it cold feet, jitters, or a healthy dose of reality, I'm wary of sheep herding instead of shepherding.

ATM, I'm currently the only one hosting the group. It is a YSA group; I've begun to think "many are called but few are chosen" means "many are interested, but few actually show up." We'll see if anyone feels prompted to host once we see who actually shows up.