Lds Beliefs Under Public Attack

Davis

STAND UP FOR WHAT’S RIGHT! LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! STOP THE PEOPLE WHO ARE MOCKING OUR SACRED BELIEFS!

The following text is from an article in San Francisco’s weekly newspaper The Bay Area Press-Gazette:

DEPUTY MAYOR AND CITY OFFICIALS CONDUCT DOZENS OF PROXY GAY MARRIAGES FOR MORMON LEADERS

SAN FRANCISCO – After conducting thousands of gay marriages over a period of just a few weeks, some city officials here became fed up with what they considered an ignorant and intolerant religious backlash against the city and the gay community. They found a creative way to fight back, mixing some humor into their official capacities in the city government. Deputy Mayor Curtis Johnson and City Council member Phoebe Burton decided to make gay marriage available to all the religious people who oppose it, particularly the Mormons. They performed dozens of proxy gay marriages at City Hall last week on behalf of Mormon leaders, both living and dead, with local gay volunteers standing in as the happy couples. Church founder Joseph Smith was married to early leader Heber C. Kimball. Brigham Young was married to Porter Rockwell. Current Mormon President Gordon Hinckley was married to sports figure Danny Ainge, and Mormon Apostle Boyd Packer was married to Donny Osmond. U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch was married to serial killer Ted Bundy. There were dozens more, and the proxy couples kissed passionately each time they were pronounced "spouses for life." According to Deputy Mayor Johnson, the Mormons were singled out because of their active support of the anti-gay Proposition 22 or Knight Initiative in 2000, and because they practice marrying people by proxy as part of their own beliefs. “The Mormons were begging for this,†said Deputy Mayor Johnson in a statement to reporters. “No other group comes close when it comes to preaching hate and intolerance toward their gay brothers and sisters. And since they think it’s OK to perform rituals for people who aren’t there to speak for themselves, I can’t see how they can complain if we do the same thing.†Council member Burton added, “We used the names of a lot of church leaders and famous Mormons, but we decided not to include Steve Young, as he is popular in this city.â€

This despicable action makes a mockery of city government, of marriage, and of our sacred beliefs and ordinances. The enemies of righteousness have hit a new low. The family is truly under attack, but we don’t have to stand for it! Let’s stand up and be counted, and remind these people that this is ONE NATION UNDER GOD! Send a letter or an email or make a phone call to the mayor’s office in San Francisco, express your outrage at this attack on our people, and demand the resignations of Deputy Mayor Curtis Johnson and City Council member Phoebe Burton (who is gay, by the way).

Mayor Gavin Newsom

City Hall, Room 200

1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place

San Francisco, CA 94102

Telephone: (415) 554-6141

Fax: (415) 554-6160

Email: [email protected]

We know that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. Don’t let it be mocked, don't let us be mocked, and don't let God be mocked. Share this message with everyone you know who loves righteousness!

In a completely unrelated story, I have been proxy-married to Rita Hayworth, Lauren Bacall, Rebbecca Romjin, Halley Berry and Liz McFarlane from my senior year, 5th period and tonight, we are all going to make wild monkey proxy-love under the swaying proxy palms and starlight.

Originally posted by Snow@Apr 24 2004, 01:06 PM

In a completely unrelated story, I have been proxy-married to Rita Hayworth, Lauren Bacall, Rebbecca Romjin, Halley Berry and Liz McFarlane from my senior year, 5th period and tonight, we are all going to make wild monkey proxy-love under the swaying proxy palms and starlight.

Key/hint word in above silliness: palms.

Originally posted by Davis@Apr 23 2004, 11:18 PM

This despicable action makes a mockery of city government, of marriage, and of our sacred beliefs and ordinances.

Paraphrasing a beloved contributor to this site:

Personally I don't get why anyone would get frothy about it. If the Moose Lodge or the Hairless Pagans for Dynokinetic Renewal were to proxy marry my great-great-great cousin, once removed, on my mother's side to my long lost gay uncle, I don't think I would care one jot; maybe a tittle, but not a jot.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Davis@Apr 23 2004, 10:18 PM

STAND UP FOR WHAT’S RIGHT! LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! STOP THE PEOPLE WHO ARE MOCKING OUR SACRED BELIEFS!

I thought it was kinda funny. I don't believe San Francisco would allow this to take place at City Hall though. Maybe at Golden Gate Park.

Originally posted by Davis@Apr 23 2004, 10:18 PM

The following text is from an article in San Francisco’s weekly newspaper The Bay Area Press-Gazette:

DEPUTY MAYOR AND CITY OFFICIALS CONDUCT DOZENS OF PROXY GAY MARRIAGES FOR MORMON LEADERS

SAN FRANCISCO – After conducting thousands of gay marriages over a period of just a few weeks, some city officials here became fed up with what they considered an ignorant and intolerant religious backlash against the city and the gay community. They found a creative way to fight back, mixing some humor into their official capacities in the city government. Deputy Mayor Curtis Johnson and City Council member Phoebe Burton decided to make gay marriage available to all the religious people who oppose it, particularly the Mormons. They performed dozens of proxy gay marriages at City Hall last week on behalf of Mormon leaders, both living and dead, with local gay volunteers standing in as the happy couples. Church founder Joseph Smith was married to early leader Heber C. Kimball. Brigham Young was married to Porter Rockwell. Current Mormon President Gordon Hinckley was married to sports figure Danny Ainge, and Mormon Apostle Boyd Packer was married to Donny Osmond. U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch was married to serial killer Ted Bundy. There were dozens more, and the proxy couples kissed passionately each time they were pronounced "spouses for life." According to Deputy Mayor Johnson, the Mormons were singled out because of their active support of the anti-gay Proposition 22 or Knight Initiative in 2000, and because they practice marrying people by proxy as part of their own beliefs. “The Mormons were begging for this,†said Deputy Mayor Johnson in a statement to reporters. “No other group comes close when it comes to preaching hate and intolerance toward their gay brothers and sisters. And since they think it’s OK to perform rituals for people who aren’t there to speak for themselves, I can’t see how they can complain if we do the same thing.†Council member Burton added, “We used the names of a lot of church leaders and famous Mormons, but we decided not to include Steve Young, as he is popular in this city.â€

This despicable action makes a mockery of city government, of marriage, and of our sacred beliefs and ordinances. The enemies of righteousness have hit a new low. The family is truly under attack, but we don’t have to stand for it! Let’s stand up and be counted, and remind these people that this is ONE NATION UNDER GOD! Send a letter or an email or make a phone call to the mayor’s office in San Francisco, express your outrage at this attack on our people, and demand the resignations of Deputy Mayor Curtis Johnson and City Council member Phoebe Burton (who is gay, by the way).

Mayor Gavin Newsom

City Hall, Room 200

1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place

San Francisco, CA 94102

Telephone: (415) 554-6141

Fax: (415) 554-6160

Email: [email protected]

We know that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. Don’t let it be mocked, don't let us be mocked, and don't let God be mocked. Share this message with everyone you know who loves righteousness!

I say the fact that we are free to MOCK eachother is based on one of the most important freedoms we have.

I don't blame gays for MOCKING us ---- we have certainly disparaged them. We deserve what we are getting back.

By the way--your assertion that this country was "founded" on God is a factual inaccuracy. The framers of the Constitution were more concerned with peoples rights to be FREE of the oppressive influence of religiously influenced government than they were in promoting as relgious government.

BTW--- what actions are you suggesting we take in "defending" our beliefs? I suppose you would like to make "gayness" illegal? YOu would want to make mocking mormonism illegal? Or would you rather just throw rocks at all the sob's.

Guest Starsky

I found this on another forum. Thought it fit here nicely... ;)

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain! I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day, and if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!"

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

by

Oriah Mountain Dreamer

copyright © 1999 by Oriah Mountain Dreamer.