Helping Family Members Live The Gospel

MorningStar

I just found this among my many stacks of paper. :)

"Helping Family Members Live the Gospel", Family Home Evening Resource Book, 236

Sometimes we think that some five-second formula or recipe will effectively change a family member's behavior. Long-term change, however, comes only from living correct principles. The Lord told priesthood bearers how the power and influence of the priesthood should be used (see D&C 121:41-46). We can use some of the things he mentioned, such as persuasion, long-suffering, gentleness, meekness, and love unfeigned to teach and guide our children and others. In contrast, using sarcasm, intimidation, force, impatience, irritability or anger, harshness, and pride will neither teach children proper values nor help them change their behavior. In fact, we know that it is Satan, not Heavenly Father, who wants us to use force and hostility.

We can learn to be better parents by studying the scriptures to see how Heavenly Father deals with his children. We can also learn how not to act by observing Satan's methods. What can you learn from the following chart to help you be a better parent and spouse?

The Lord's Way

Love unfeigned - charity, caring for others' welfare despite any wrongdoing.

Satan's Way

Physical force - being hostile and unfairly using physical strength.

The Lord's Way

Acceptance - seeing others in eternal perspective, judging with compassion

Satan's Way

Blame - condemning others' faults without compassion.

The Lord's Way

Integrity - being honest, a personal commitment to righteousness

Satan's Way

Accusation - provoking guilt, reminding people of their mistakes to punish them and jusitfy oneself.

The Lord's Way

Persuasion - teaching with compassion, kindly pointing out advantages and disadvantages of situations.

Satan's Way

Intimidation - ruling by fear because others are afraid of one's power.

The Lord's Way

Gentleness - soft, not treating others harshly.

Satan's Way

Threat - expressing an intent to physically or emotionally harm someone.

The Lord's Way

Trust - lovingly allowing others to exercise their agency to choose right or wrong and to accept the consequences.

Satan's Way

Pride - self-righteously preaching moral truths and condemning others.

The Lord's Way

Responsibility - acknowledging and assuming your role in any situation including repenting for past wrongdoing.

Satan's Way

Self-centeredness - refusing to accept responsibility for your actions.

The Lord's Way

Meekness - humility, uncomplaining, and teachable

Satan's Way

Haughtiness - being unteachable, proud, and pessimistic.

"And charity sufferth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareht all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth." Moroni 7:45-46

I hope some of you will find this helpful! It's a good reminder for me.

I just found this among my many stacks of paper. :)

"Helping Family Members Live the Gospel", Family Home Evening Resource Book, 236

Sometimes we think that some five-second formula or recipe will effectively change a family member's behavior. Long-term change, however, comes only from living correct principles. The Lord told priesthood bearers how the power and influence of the priesthood should be used (see D&C 121:41-46). We can use some of the things he mentioned, such as persuasion, long-suffering, gentleness, meekness, and love unfeigned to teach and guide our children and others. In contrast, using sarcasm, intimidation, force, impatience, irritability or anger, harshness, and pride will neither teach children proper values nor help them change their behavior. In fact, we know that it is Satan, not Heavenly Father, who wants us to use force and hostility.

We can learn to be better parents by studying the scriptures to see how Heavenly Father deals with his children. We can also learn how not to act by observing Satan's methods. What can you learn from the following chart to help you be a better parent and spouse?

The Lord's Way

Love unfeigned - charity, caring for others' welfare despite any wrongdoing.

Satan's Way

Physical force - being hostile and unfairly using physical strength.

The Lord's Way

Acceptance - seeing others in eternal perspective, judging with compassion

Satan's Way

Blame - condemning others' faults without compassion.

The Lord's Way

Integrity - being honest, a personal commitment to righteousness

Satan's Way

Accusation - provoking guilt, reminding people of their mistakes to punish them and jusitfy oneself.

The Lord's Way

Persuasion - teaching with compassion, kindly pointing out advantages and disadvantages of situations.

Satan's Way

Intimidation - ruling by fear because others are afraid of one's power.

The Lord's Way

Gentleness - soft, not treating others harshly.

Satan's Way

Threat - expressing an intent to physically or emotionally harm someone.

The Lord's Way

Trust - lovingly allowing others to exercise their agency to choose right or wrong and to accept the consequences.

Satan's Way

Pride - self-righteously preaching moral truths and condemning others.

The Lord's Way

Responsibility - acknowledging and assuming your role in any situation including repenting for past wrongdoing.

Satan's Way

Self-centeredness - refusing to accept responsibility for your actions.

The Lord's Way

Meekness - humility, uncomplaining, and teachable

Satan's Way

Haughtiness - being unteachable, proud, and pessimistic.

"And charity sufferth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareht all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth." Moroni 7:45-46

I hope some of you will find this helpful! It's a good reminder for me.

Does this mean i shouldnt kick my cat anymore? {just kidding} I would never kick our kitties.

Thanks for the reminder, these are good to remember in our daily lives, and after awhile, Guess what?

these practices become part of our being and personality. Wa La!

:D :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this.

I just had the miserable preschool day from h*ll - so many of the kids, who normally listen to me and follow what I tell them to do, running away from me, biting at each other and me, throwing hysterical fits when I say "it's time to clean up" stuff, the director of the school had to talk to one kid twice (I felt like a BIG failure as a teacher) - I was really at my wits' end by 5 pm. I'm not sure I'm cut out to be in preschool after a day like this one.

I need to try to run my classroom (except I'm just the assistant teacher, not the 'real' teacher) more in line with gospel principles. But with 16-20 3-year-olds in one room, it's more like herding cats, some days.

*sigh*

Thanks for the reminder. I definitely felt like using Satan's way today.

Jane

Thanks for this.

I just had the miserable preschool day from h*ll - so many of the kids, who normally listen to me and follow what I tell them to do, running away from me, biting at each other and me, throwing hysterical fits when I say "it's time to clean up" stuff, the director of the school had to talk to one kid twice (I felt like a BIG failure as a teacher) - I was really at my wits' end by 5 pm. I'm not sure I'm cut out to be in preschool after a day like this one.

I need to try to run my classroom (except I'm just the assistant teacher, not the 'real' teacher) more in line with gospel principles. But with 16-20 3-year-olds in one room, it's more like herding cats, some days.

*sigh*

Thanks for the reminder. I definitely felt like using Satan's way today.

Jane

Aw, hang in there Jane. Maybe they're being naughty because they're excited about Halloween coming? :D I'm glad you found that helpful and I hope you had a better day today.