Favorite Quotes

MorningStar

A couple years ago, I collected some quotes I liked and put them in my profile on a message board. One woman read it and e-mailed me to say it was the most beautiful thing she had ever read. She was also telling everyone that they should all read my profile because it was so wonderful. I noticed by her e-mail address that she must be Evangelical and I was a little surprised she was so positive about my quotes and wondered if she missed the section that stated my religion. Yes, she did. A while later, she wrote back and said, "I just noticed you're LDS. I still love you even though you're Mormon." She seemed surprised that those quotes contained things we had in common and she was even more surprised that they were all from church leaders. Still, we had some somewhat frustrating conversations about misunderstandings she had about our beliefs - Did we believe all other churches were the church of the devil, why did the bishop insist on seeing our W2's (he didn't), and the usual questions I get like that. I said, "It's better if you don't get your information from anti-Mormon websites because they'll just confuse you about what we really believe in and I'll just have to keep clearing up confusion." She said, "Oh, I didn't get it from an anti-Mormon website, I got it from CARM." :lol: Then she sent me a DVD of a sermon her preacher gave about our church that had a little skit at the beginning that was kind of cute, yet inaccurate. I can't believe I sat through the whole thing.

Anyway, these are the quotes I had in my profile. I would put up the authors too, but that's on my old computer. I didn't put the authors in my profile because I was curious as to how people would react to them without already deciding that what I had to say was bad because I'm LDS.

"The greatest work you will ever do, will be done within the walls of your own home."

“The home is what needs reforming. Try today, and tomorrow, to make a change in your home by praying twice a day with your family. … Ask a blessing upon every meal you eat. Spend ten minutes … reading a chapter from the words of the Lord in the [scriptures]. … Let love, peace, and the Spirit of the Lord, kindness, charity, sacrifice for others, abound in your families. Banish harsh words, … and let the Spirit of God take possession of your hearts. Teach to your children these things, in spirit and power. … Not one child in a hundred would go astray, if the home environment, example and training, were in harmony with … the gospel of Christ.”

"How grateful I am to know that God loves us. The incomprehensible depth of that love found expression in the gift of His Only Begotten Son."

"Regardless of other circumstances, you have spiritual freedom. Use it to choose your attitude. Use it to reach out and serve others in love."

"Christ's example taught that service should be given because there is love, not because there is obligation."

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."

"The secret of a happy marriage is to serve God and each other. The goal of marriage is unity and oneness, as well as self-development. Paradoxically, the more we serve one another, the greater is our spiritual and emotional growth."

"The things you say, the tone of your voice, the anger or calm of your words—these things are noticed by your children and by others. They see and learn both the kind and the unkind things we say or do. Nothing exposes our true selves more than how we treat one another in the home."

"The scriptures are like loving messages from Heavenly Father. They can bring peace to your heart, and help you feel the Lord's tender nearness."

"Thank God for the joys of family life. I have often said there can be no genuine happiness separate and apart from a good home. The sweetest influences and associations of life are there."

"You should express regularly to your wife and children your reverence and respect for her. Indeed, one of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

"Nothing penetrates the human heart as does a personal, fervent prayer and its heaven-sent response."

"If we become casual in our study of the scriptures, we will become casual in our prayers."

"You reach the greatest heights while on your knees."

"The Church is not a place where perfect people gather to say perfect things, or have perfect thoughts, or have perfect feelings. The Church is a place where imperfect people gather to provide encouragement, support, and service to each other as we press on in our journey to return to our Heavenly Father."

"Total unselfishness is sure to accomplish another factor in successful marriage. If one is forever seeking the interests, comforts, and happiness of the other, the love found in courtship and cemented in marriage will grow into mighty proportions. Many couples permit their marriages to become stale and their love to grow cold like old bread or worn-out jokes or cold gravy. Certainly the foods most vital for love are consideration, kindness, thoughtfulness, concern, expressions of affection, embraces of appreciation, admiration, pride, companionship, confidence, faith, partnership, equality, and interdependence."

"Seeing life from an eternal perspective helps us focus our limited mortal energies on the things that matter most."

"Enrich your life with the beauty around you. There is such an abundance of it."

"In this divided and imperiled world of chaos and confusion it is incumbent upon the various and differing churches to seek a better understanding of one another. Frank and friendly discussion should increase our sympathetic appreciation of the religious beliefs and practices of our neighbors and cause us to review and clarify our own. We might perchance find kernels of truth in what we considered to be nothing but chaff. The world needs understanding and friendship."

"Let us not think because we feel and know that we have the truth that we have all the truth for there is truth yet to be revealed. Let not our knowledge that we have the truth stifle our search for more truth. Let us build into our characters the kind of faith that will accept the truth when it comes and by its coming perhaps modify some of our ideas about the truth."

"What does it mean to be true to the faith? That word true implies commitment, integrity, endurance, and courage."

"I pray that there will enter our hearts the peace that comes from knowing by a power beyond all human ability to transmit that God is aware of us and has raised up servants in our day to lead us under the power and inspiration of his close attention."

"Are these perilous times? They are. But there is no need to fear. We can have peace in our hearts and peace in our homes."

"Life's most important choice is not between wealth and poverty, or fame and obscurity. It is between good and evil. When we finally understand that, our happiness will not be determined by material things."

"A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present.... What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit 'ordinary' and 'unexciting,' with joy?"

"It is exciting to realize that even though the Lord has all things at his disposition...His greatest interest is still the happiness of each of us."

"We all get assignments, jobs, things we must do. The temptation is to just get them over with. Yet real joy and satisfaction--and greatness--come from going beyond the mere requirements."

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness."

"Needed are...[souls] filled with compassion, that we might communicate not only eye to eye, or voice to ear, but in the majestic style of the Savior, even heart to heart."

"Christ was sent not only to help us heal the wounds of transgression and iniquity, but also to bear our grief and sorrow and guilt."

"[Jesus Christ] concluded His mortal ministry with the single most compassionate and significant service in the history of the world: the Atonement."

"The Savior's loving warmth and healing touch lift us and give us strength to endure."

"Even though the tasks of life become heavy, and although sorrow thrusts a drooping burden upon us, the light that emanates from our Savior beckons us on, undismayed."

"If there were more reverence in human hearts, there would be less room for sin and sorrow and more increased capacity for joy and gladness."

I'm afraid I can't provide as many as my friend morning star but here are some of my favourites:

They say it takes a minute to find a person

an hour to appreicate them

a day to love them

but a life time to forget them

when life becomes to much to stand.....kneel

laugh whenever you get the chance, smile because you can, and always be open to love another

friends are like stars. you dont always see them but you know they are there.

A memory lasts forever.

Never does it die.

True friends stay together.

And never say goodbye.

-Anon.

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."

-Anon.

"He who has a thousand friends

Has not a friend to spare,

While he who has one enemy

Shall meet him everywhere."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Fear less, hope more;

Whine less, breathe more;

Talk less, say more;

Hate less, love more;

And all good things are yours."

-Swedish Proverb

The true beauty of a human being cannot be measured by a bathroom scale.

Anyone who says sunshine is the only thing that brings happiness has never danced in the rain.

To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person, you may just be the world.

You can never be old and wise, if you're never young and crazy

"Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them most."-Oscar Wilde

Never start frowning because you never know who's falling in love

with your smile

When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.

There's a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it's not a train.

Sometimes the most handicapped people are those with no apparent handicaps.

Suffering teaches us what the Spirit can't.

The depths to which we sink determine the heights to which we can soar.

While Christ's atonement is infinite and eternal, the time for repentance isn't.

Christ's atonement brings mercy to the repentant, and justice to the unrepentant.

The Fall involved the unlawful removal of divine fruit from a tree.

The Atonement involved the unlawful placement of divine fruit on a tree.

God does not call the qualified…he qualifies the called.

Life is a balance of holding on and letting go.

the Church is not a resort for the perfected, but a hospital for the sick

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

You should not confuse your career with your life.

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

Never lick a steak knife.

The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.

You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 11.

The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above average drivers.

A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.

(This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

Your friends love you anyway.

Thought for the day: Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Forty Facts of Life:

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it very often.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.

A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Men are from earth. Women are from earth.

Deal with it. No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved -- and never will achieve -- its full potential, that word would be "meetings." There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

If you keep your face turned toward the "son", all the shadows of life fall behind you.

Worrying is like paying interest on a debt you might never owe.

<a href="http://www.wisdomquotes.com/002977.html" target="_blank"> All the lessons of history in four sentences:

1) Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad with power.

2) The mills of God grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly small.

3) The bee fertilizes the flower it robs.

4) When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.</span>

From a poem by Thomas Markhim...

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, none goes his way alone.

All that we send into the lives of others come back into our own."

"He who has the desire, finds a way.

He who does not, finds an excuse" (Unknown Author)

Pa pa :P

I tried to rate this topic 5 stars (not knowing how it came out 1 star) I'm sorry,

Elder Hartman Rector Jr.: God doesn’t love us because we are good. God loves us because he is good. God is good and so he loves us, and those who are the best love the best. (Conference Report, Oct., 1969, 76)

Believe in God; believe that He is, and that He created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that He has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend. And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God... and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them." Mosiah 4:9-10

"A good man, is a good man, whether in this church, or out of it.”

-Brigham Young

"It is extremely important for you to believe in yourselves, not only for what you are now, but for what you have the power to become. Trust in the Lord as He leads you along. He has things for you to do that you won't know about now, but that will unfold later. If you stay close to Him, you will have some great adventures. You will live in a time when instead of just talking about prophecies that will sometime be fulfilled, many of them will actually be fulfilled. The Lord will unfold your future bit by bit."- Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Men fear being invaded, while women fear being evaded

“You can easily tell the character of a man by the way he treats those who can't do anything for him." James D. Miles

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves." Rainer Maria Rilke

I've learned.... That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only

letting that person continue to hurt you.

Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays. But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come. –

Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary." C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, 129

"Like Jesus, we can decide, daily or instantly, to give no heed to temptation (see D&C 20:22). We can respond to irritation with a smile instead of scowl, or by giving warm praise instead of icy indifference. By our being understanding instead of abrupt, others, in turn, may decide to hold on a little longer rather than to give way. Love, patience, and meekness can be just as contagious as rudeness and crudeness." - Neal A. Maxwell, "The Tugs and Pulls of the World," Ensign, November 2000

"I have found repeated in different places in the scriptures two major promises for reading and studying the scriptures that pertain to the next life: one is exaltation, and the other is eternal life. For example, Nephi said: 'Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, … Ye shall have eternal life.' ( 2 Ne. 31:20.)

"The surprising discovery was that most promises that come to us for reading and studying the scriptures pertain to mortality. Three categories of promises to consider are promises of power, promises of increase, and 'other promises.'" - Jay E. Jensen, "'Remember the Promises'," Ensign, November 1992

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. – Plato

Never deprive someone of hope; it may be all they have.

"My ability to run is not so swift now. While I am looking forward to that future time when, with a resurrected body, I can once again sprint over a field and feel the wind blowing through my hair, I do not dwell on the fact that I cannot do it now.

"That would be unwise. Instead, I take the steps that I can take. Even with the limitations of age, I can still take one step at a time. To do what I can is all my Heavenly Father now requires of me. And it is all He requires of you, regardless of your disabilities, limitations, or insecurities." - Joseph B. Wirthlin, "One Step after Another," Ensign (CR), November 2001, p.25

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

The Saints didn't get from Nauvoo to SLC in a day. Obviously you don't want to wander aimlessly, but a journey--if that's what it is--is not done in a day (that would be nice, if it could). If you wake up every day worrying that your not at your destination, it'll be hard going. Wake up thinking how far you're hoping to get that day. When you get there, be happy! Enjoy the progress you make. When you climb a mountain, it sometimes looks even bigger looking up while on it, then when you were looking at it before you started climbing. If you're always only looking up at how much further you have to go, you're missing some great views and scenery right behind you. ---grego

"Wisdom comes through effort. All good things require effort. That which is worth having will cost part of your physical being, your intellectual power and your soul power—'Ask, and it shall be given you seek, and ye shall find knock, and it shall be opened unto you:' (Matt. 7:7.) But you have to seek, you have to knock. On the other hand, sin thrusts itself upon you. It walks beside you, it tempts you, it entices, it allures. You do not have to put forth effort. It is like the poor, fallen woman who lies in wait to deceive. It is like the billboard advertising attracting you to drink and to smoke. It is like the message that comes into your very homes with the television and radio or the golden packet put right into your hand. Evil seeks you, and it requires effort and fortitude to combat it. But truth and wisdom are gained only by seeking, by prayer, and by effort." - David O. McKay, "Conference Report," October 1965, Afternoon Meeting, p.145

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. - Hindu proverb

"We must take a positive approach to our religion and literally make it a way of life, a plan of daily action. We must reform ourselves day by day along gospel lines, for this is the time of our probation and it is now that we must prepare to meet our God. (See Alma 34:32.)" - Mark E. Petersen, "We Believe in Being Honest," Ensign (CR), May 1982, p.14

Every minute starts an hour and every minute is a new opportunity. Each time the clock ticks you have a chance to start over, to say, do, think, or feel something in such a way that you and the world are better for it.

A couple years ago, I collected some quotes I liked and put them in my profile on a message board. One woman read it and e-mailed me to say it was the most beautiful thing she had ever read. She was also telling everyone that they should all read my profile because it was so wonderful. I noticed by her e-mail address that she must be Evangelical and I was a little surprised she was so positive about my quotes and wondered if she missed the section that stated my religion. Yes, she did. A while later, she wrote back and said, "I just noticed you're LDS. I still love you even though you're Mormon." She seemed surprised that those quotes contained things we had in common and she was even more surprised that they were all from church leaders. Still, we had some somewhat frustrating conversations about misunderstandings she had about our beliefs - Did we believe all other churches were the church of the devil, why did the bishop insist on seeing our W2's (he didn't), and the usual questions I get like that. I said, "It's better if you don't get your information from anti-Mormon websites because they'll just confuse you about what we really believe in and I'll just have to keep clearing up confusion." She said, "Oh, I didn't get it from an anti-Mormon website, I got it from CARM." :lol: Then she sent me a DVD of a sermon her preacher gave about our church that had a little skit at the beginning that was kind of cute, yet inaccurate. I can't believe I sat through the whole thing.

Anyway, these are the quotes I had in my profile. I would put up the authors too, but that's on my old computer. I didn't put the authors in my profile because I was curious as to how people would react to them without already deciding that what I had to say was bad because I'm LDS.

"The greatest work you will ever do, will be done within the walls of your own home."

“The home is what needs reforming. Try today, and tomorrow, to make a change in your home by praying twice a day with your family. … Ask a blessing upon every meal you eat. Spend ten minutes … reading a chapter from the words of the Lord in the [scriptures]. … Let love, peace, and the Spirit of the Lord, kindness, charity, sacrifice for others, abound in your families. Banish harsh words, … and let the Spirit of God take possession of your hearts. Teach to your children these things, in spirit and power. … Not one child in a hundred would go astray, if the home environment, example and training, were in harmony with … the gospel of Christ.”

"How grateful I am to know that God loves us. The incomprehensible depth of that love found expression in the gift of His Only Begotten Son."

"Regardless of other circumstances, you have spiritual freedom. Use it to choose your attitude. Use it to reach out and serve others in love."

"Christ's example taught that service should be given because there is love, not because there is obligation."

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."

"The secret of a happy marriage is to serve God and each other. The goal of marriage is unity and oneness, as well as self-development. Paradoxically, the more we serve one another, the greater is our spiritual and emotional growth."

"The things you say, the tone of your voice, the anger or calm of your words—these things are noticed by your children and by others. They see and learn both the kind and the unkind things we say or do. Nothing exposes our true selves more than how we treat one another in the home."

"The scriptures are like loving messages from Heavenly Father. They can bring peace to your heart, and help you feel the Lord's tender nearness."

"Thank God for the joys of family life. I have often said there can be no genuine happiness separate and apart from a good home. The sweetest influences and associations of life are there."

"You should express regularly to your wife and children your reverence and respect for her. Indeed, one of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

"Nothing penetrates the human heart as does a personal, fervent prayer and its heaven-sent response."

"If we become casual in our study of the scriptures, we will become casual in our prayers."

"You reach the greatest heights while on your knees."

"The Church is not a place where perfect people gather to say perfect things, or have perfect thoughts, or have perfect feelings. The Church is a place where imperfect people gather to provide encouragement, support, and service to each other as we press on in our journey to return to our Heavenly Father."

"Total unselfishness is sure to accomplish another factor in successful marriage. If one is forever seeking the interests, comforts, and happiness of the other, the love found in courtship and cemented in marriage will grow into mighty proportions. Many couples permit their marriages to become stale and their love to grow cold like old bread or worn-out jokes or cold gravy. Certainly the foods most vital for love are consideration, kindness, thoughtfulness, concern, expressions of affection, embraces of appreciation, admiration, pride, companionship, confidence, faith, partnership, equality, and interdependence."

"Seeing life from an eternal perspective helps us focus our limited mortal energies on the things that matter most."

"Enrich your life with the beauty around you. There is such an abundance of it."

"In this divided and imperiled world of chaos and confusion it is incumbent upon the various and differing churches to seek a better understanding of one another. Frank and friendly discussion should increase our sympathetic appreciation of the religious beliefs and practices of our neighbors and cause us to review and clarify our own. We might perchance find kernels of truth in what we considered to be nothing but chaff. The world needs understanding and friendship."

"Let us not think because we feel and know that we have the truth that we have all the truth for there is truth yet to be revealed. Let not our knowledge that we have the truth stifle our search for more truth. Let us build into our characters the kind of faith that will accept the truth when it comes and by its coming perhaps modify some of our ideas about the truth."

"What does it mean to be true to the faith? That word true implies commitment, integrity, endurance, and courage."

"I pray that there will enter our hearts the peace that comes from knowing by a power beyond all human ability to transmit that God is aware of us and has raised up servants in our day to lead us under the power and inspiration of his close attention."

"Are these perilous times? They are. But there is no need to fear. We can have peace in our hearts and peace in our homes."

"Life's most important choice is not between wealth and poverty, or fame and obscurity. It is between good and evil. When we finally understand that, our happiness will not be determined by material things."

"A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present.... What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit 'ordinary' and 'unexciting,' with joy?"

"It is exciting to realize that even though the Lord has all things at his disposition...His greatest interest is still the happiness of each of us."

"We all get assignments, jobs, things we must do. The temptation is to just get them over with. Yet real joy and satisfaction--and greatness--come from going beyond the mere requirements."

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness."

"Needed are...[souls] filled with compassion, that we might communicate not only eye to eye, or voice to ear, but in the majestic style of the Savior, even heart to heart."

"Christ was sent not only to help us heal the wounds of transgression and iniquity, but also to bear our grief and sorrow and guilt."

"[Jesus Christ] concluded His mortal ministry with the single most compassionate and significant service in the history of the world: the Atonement."

"The Savior's loving warmth and healing touch lift us and give us strength to endure."

"Even though the tasks of life become heavy, and although sorrow thrusts a drooping burden upon us, the light that emanates from our Savior beckons us on, undismayed."

"If there were more reverence in human hearts, there would be less room for sin and sorrow and more increased capacity for joy and gladness."

My favoite quotes:

"Life is like a bowl full of jello. You shake it a little, and it gets all upset, but eventually it settles down." -Me

"Evil will ALWAYS loudly denouce the peaceful beauty of virtue" -Me

"It never rains underwater" -My Father

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore" -Yogi Berra

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous" -Yogi Berra

"What luck, for governments, that the people are stupid" -Adolph Hitler

"Government is not reason, it is force. Like fire, it can either be a dangerous servant, or a fearful master" -George Washington

"Our lives, liberty, and property are never at greater risk than when Congress is in session" -Mark Twain

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary" -Colin Powell