House Md Vs Mormons

tubaloth

I don't know how many of you watch the Show House md on FOX (Tuesday night 9/8 central).

This new season House (the Main Doctor) had to hire some new intern doctors.

In the Second episode of the season we come to find out that he has Hired a Black Mormon. (The show kind of poked fun at that).

House doesn't believe in any after life (really is an Atheist). They have brought up this idea of Religion and some supreme creator before on the show.

In this episode House needs to test how bad a liver has gone. So he wants to have the person drink Alcohol and see if the liver is working (I think it was the liver).

So House wants this Mormon Black guy (I think his name is Collen) to be part of the experiment so he can use a Non drinker to gage how bad things are.

After Collen (the Mormon) doesn't want to do it, House asks would he pull out a Donkey out of the mud on the Sabbath. He tries to argue, but he ends up agreeing to do it. (After this they talk about the Magic underwear for a second).

I wondered if I would do that? If breaking a Commandment (LDS type) to help somebody else out, would you do it?

Then in the latest episode (4). There is a challenge going on to see if House can get Collen the mormon to Stand up (react in some way) to House. The whole episode House calls him out on everything, even when Collen has to go at 6pm to take care of his Kid. (and then he just leaves). Finally at the end of the episode, House is asking him what would Joseph Smith want us to do. And talking about how all the answers are in "the book." Collen says answers to morality decisions are but not science. Finally House says to collen to admit "that Joseph Smith was a horny fraud" then Collen punches House. (in the end, the problem went undedicated because of this ladies ability to adapt (evolve). House asks Collen if he is okay with that answer, he says Yes, and House calls him a hypocrite. )

I also wonder if I would punch somebody if they pushed me enough about my religion???

(Collen is still there, I'm kind of trying to figure out if they are going to keep him around or not).

Wierd. :blink:

Amazing how they twist "us" around for a story.

Ever see that cable series(HBO, Showtime, or whatever it was) mostly about Mormons? I tuned to it once, and there was a guy, on his knees beside his bed, in his garments, praying because he was trying to handle his gay-ness! :mellow: Plain wack-o! :blink:

Wierd. :blink:

Amazing how they twist "us" around for a story.

Ever see that cable series(HBO, Showtime, or whatever it was) mostly about Mormons? I tuned to it once, and there was a guy, on his knees beside his bed, in his garments, praying because he was trying to handle his gay-ness! :mellow: Plain wack-o! :blink:

GAIA:

Sorry, not sure i understand what you meant by "wack-o" in either of those two stories/ examples?

FYI, There certainly are LDS who do pray for help in dealing with Homosexuality -- see for example:

a) www.affirmation.org/

B) Letter from a Mormon Father, re his Gay Son: http://www.affirmation.org/ssu/mormon_father_sends.shtml

c) Requiem for a Gay Mormon: www.beliefnet.com/story/14/story_1400_1.html

Blessings --

~Gaia

GAIA:

Sorry, not sure i understand what you meant by "wack-o" in either of those two stories/ examples?

FYI, There certainly are LDS who do pray for help in dealing with Homosexuality -- see for example:

Of course there are. What in the world does that have to do with the disrespect of showing someone praying in their garments on a TV show? Please don't derail this into a homosexual debate.

In this episode House needs to test how bad a liver has gone. So he wants to have the person drink Alcohol and see if the liver is working (I think it was the liver).

So House wants this Mormon Black guy (I think his name is Collen) to be part of the experiment so he can use a Non drinker to gage how bad things are.

I'm no doctor but it seems they should be able to test some other way rather than make them drink alcohol, is there not?

Did anybody watch CSI last night? We made it into another show. The first suspect they take in for questioning turns out to be a mormon who stole $10,000 from the church and was in Vegas hoping to win enough back to replace it so it wouldn't be caught. As the sideline, he stashes his son, seems he's a single dad too, at an ex-girlfriends where he gets killed :(

So how would someone steal $10,000 from the church and not get caught fairly quickly??

I think most men would be more likely to slug someone for insulting their wife than their religion. :) The House episodes sound silly, but I haven't watched it. I guess I shouldn't knock it till I tried it. I saw one episode years ago where there's a nun who has copper poisoning from an IUD or something.

House is actually an awesome show (one of the highest rated on TV actually) one of my top 3 favourites. So it was interesting to have one of the people on there be a Mormon character. As you would expect, there's been the usual comments made (magic underwear, polygamy etc..) but I've come to expect that so.

I'm no doctor but it seems they should be able to test some other way rather than make them drink alcohol, is there not?

Yes, there are other ways of determining if a liver is viable or not. I think what Dr. House wanted to see was if Colin would abandon his values for the sake of medicine. While the show does twist things around a bit, I can tell you that similar things happen on my floor at the hospital. Everyone knows I'm LDS and a mom of 4 and every now and again I'll get a "challenge" to see what I'm made of. It's illegal in some cases and goes too far in others. But I have seen firsthand the blessings of remaining faithful to my Father in Heaven. Please remember House is TV, they can pretty much do anything if it means people will watch.

I'd really like to see this episode so I can understand what's going on better. So they're avoiding a paper trail? Isn't that dishonest? It sounds like they could've done the tests the honest way and the Mormon could've remained alcohol free. :)

The patient wouldn't allow it so they had to resort to different things to test.

IMO, a Mormon character on House has more to do with politics than Mormonism itself. I've seen quite a few shows make subtle digs that are directed at one or the other of the current Republican candidates - one show last night had a not so subtle dig at Rudy. These shows present falsehoods as facts without any recourse for refutation, all under the guise of some story to dodge equal time regulations.