Tithing

mormonarmywife

Let's just assume we could poll the GA's on this. What do you honestly feel they would give as an answer

There answer would be (and was) "We feel that every member of the Church should be entitled to make his own decision as to what he thinks he owes the Lord, and to make payment accordingly"

dos any1 no who is suppose to pay tithing? myself and my husband are both inactive (and i cant see him coming back) he works i dont if i came back wood i have to pay his tithing? i dont understand it.

Would he be open to the idea of giving offerings to the church? If not, you're not obligated to pay tithing on it. I think there was another thread describing a situation where a husband and wife agreed to split the household income between them and left it to the other what they would do with their share. In that kind of situation, you would still be able to enjoy the blessings of tithing on your share at least. I do think of it as a privilege and blessing to be able to pay our tithing. Heavenly Father knows our hearts and sees our sacrifice. But if your husband is not open to it, you're not accountable for that. He would need to gain his own testimony of tithing.

Maybe I'm just being picky about the words you used, but neither you or your husband "have to" pay tithing. It's your choice. And just like other choices in life there are consequences, like being able to attend the temple, or receiving the outpouring of blessing that I know comes from tithing. Really it's between you and the Lord though as to whether or not you, yourself, individually, are a full tithe payer. If it's not strictly your income, then you don't have the full say in the matter of what to do with it, so not required to pay tithing on it... H.F. knows your heart and knows if you would willingly pay tithing if you were able to.

You totally missed my point.

never mind.

No, I didn't miss your point at all. You are trying to ignore what they have in fact already publically declared and published in order to try to 'prove' you are right and "I ain't buying it' :rolleyes:

If you believe you need to pay tithing on gross - great! I won't attempt to stop you, but if someone else truely believes net (or anything else) is their true increase - then it is - because the Prophets and Apostles have already declared it to be so and published it in the 'Church Handbook of Instructions' among other places and you shouldn't try to stop them in any way.

-sigh-

No, I'm NOT out to "PROVE" a freakin thing. <_< Make a point, yes. Prove, no. I'm completely understanding that this is obviously a grey area, kinda like caffiene. Not a temple recommend question per se, but there's still an underlying gospel concept that I think the Lord expects us to explore and discover on our own, then learn to live it. Or not.

Look, we're all supposedly on the same side here. So let's just drop it. Not worth getting our collective panties in a bunch anymore on this.

Sheesh.

No, I didn't miss your point at all. You are trying to ignore what they have in fact already publically declared and published in order to try to 'prove' you are right and "I ain't buying it' :rolleyes:

If you believe you need to pay tithing on gross - great! I won't attempt to stop you, but if someone else truely believes net (or anything else) is their true increase - then it is - because the Prophets and Apostles have already declared it to be so and published it in the 'Church Handbook of Instructions' among other places and you shouldn't try to stop them in any way.

You're right- we shouldn't force our views on others. What we should do though is continue to preach these points:

1. We must be willing and have the faith to to obey whatever the Lord may require of us. We must look forward and spiritually prepare ourselves for whatever may come.

2. We should continually seek to gain further learning and opportunity to come closer to God. Look for chances to do good; do not wait to be commanded in all things.

These principles apply to most anything in life, and their application is between an individual and the Lord. So it's not up to me to enforce them the way I think they should be enforced on any one particular commandment like tithing. Just let every man and woman live according to how he/she interprets and is inspired by the Spirit.

I do the same thing. I'm not good at keeping track of cash gifts, so I figure if I round up, it's covered. :)

Good plan. I round up and have never thought about gifts unless they were cash which I pay on anyway.