Girlfriend...

nt28

Hey everyone. My first post but I'm thinking about attending an LDS church (I'm christian now), and I'm sure my girlfriend will be very unhappy with me. I don't want to hurt her, but some things I need to do for myself. It's just hard putting us at risk of breaking up. I'm 23, this decision should be easier for me...

If it is something you need to do for yourself and she isn't accepting of you researching whatever it is you need (mormonism, any other religion, or any other topic for that matter) then you probably already have your answer.

I am a work in progress when is comes to faith. My husband is not a religious man, but he supports me in my decisions and encourages me to find the answers that I need. He also is honest when he tells me that even if I want to be LDS, he cannot commit to ever having the same desire. This honesty and respect is one of the reasons why our marriage is so successful.

Good luck!

I promise you that going to an lds church is a great thing to do.It takes alot of courage take the first step.I can imagine what your thinking because i have just broke up with my girlfriend who i was with for over 2 years because of the lds church,i felt for myself the church was true and the happiness it gave me.It's a long story but the church has helped me so much.You should definately go to church and see for yourself what it is like and what you feel.If you feel good about the church then i think you should slowly try to introduce her to the church.At the end of the day you just want to be happy with your girlfriend and the church will definately show you how.

Guest Malcolm

Hey everyone. My first post but I'm thinking about attending an LDS church (I'm christian now), and I'm sure my girlfriend will be very unhappy with me. I don't want to hurt her, but some things I need to do for myself. It's just hard putting us at risk of breaking up. I'm 23, this decision should be easier for me...

If she doesn't know much about the LDS church, why would she upset? What is to be upset about? Just as described before, we are also Christians and the Church bares His name.

Beyond that, at this point you are investigating a prompting of the Spirit and you should. You are being true to your self and inquiring the stirrings of your heart. If she does not understand that it is possible that the courtship has not allowed you see this aspect of her. The more you learn about the people close to you the better you can discern if you should remain so.

I applaud your faith and inquisitive spirit. Follow your heart.

Have the two of you discussed it together? Does she know of your needs and convictions? Do you go to church together now? Is she a firm believer in her faith? Does she express negative feelings about the church? What does she know about the Church? Has she ever met a member? If she is still under the impression that the church is a cult or that we are not Christian or that we a like the Amish, then perhaps she could learn a little more and you could rest her fears. At the end of the day, though, she will either support you or not. Something you cannot control.

It does make it hard when a special person to you doesn't seem to believe in the same things, maybe instead of just going, as if say behind her back, talk to her about it. Explain that it is something you need to do for yourself. It may seem a bit blunt, but if she's not happy with your decision then maybe there is a bit of a hint of what may happen. Don't lose hope though. Just talk it with her :)