Formulating and Expressing Opinions

Traveler

To begin with, I apologize for the time I have put into this post. Both the readers and the subject disserve more than what I have time to give. I hope that thoughtful readers will fill in and provide thought and opinions that do justice to this concept.

Most of us are familiar with simple modules used to predict outcomes and how we formulate opinions about things. For example; if an airplane is traveling at a speed of 560 miles an hour, how long will it take to travel 840 miles? The airlines use such a simple model to determine flight schedules. The schedule may indicate that a flight scheduled to departing from Seattle at 10:45 am will arrive in Salt Lake City at 12:15 pm. Some one that regularly travels that particular root will formulate opinions about when they should arrive at the airport in Seattle and when they should advise someone to arrive at the Sale Lake City airport to pick them up. Because the model is “simple” and does not take many complex variable parameters into account the accuracy of a particular opinion concerning a particular flight from Seattle to Salt Lake City could by chance be quite accurate or very inaccurate. One possible fact concerning a particular flight could result in the flight being canceled rendering any opinion concerning when the flight in reality will arrive completely and entirely wrong or false.

Sometimes when a person posts an opinion on the forum, I will ask questions attempting to determine what parameters (or type of parameters) were considered by a particular poster in formulating their opinion. To be honest some opinions are so far from my experience with reality; some of my questions directed to posters are in essence a sanity check to determine if there is something wrong with my paradigm of reality of if they are considering something I have not or are not considering a parameter I have found useful.

For example; I have found Prison Chaplin opinions and views to be different from mine because his paradigm takes into account things I sometimes overlook. I personally find such an exchange valuable. Some posters take into account things I find of little value or consequence – sometimes they seem to be considering parameters that for me have no relevance what-so-ever or are untrue.

Some time ago I introduced to the forum some of the principles scientist use for predicting possible outcomes for extremely complex systems in building a mathematical model based on “Chaos Theory”. Let me explain a little about chaos theory. This model is based on the “balance” of a complex system relevant to input from many parameters. The assumption of chaos theory is that all the parameters must function and exist in balance or harmony with all the other parameters. If any one parameter is modified or changed beyond the operating balance then the complex system will adjust to a new balance. Since the system is now operating based on the new adjustment; returning the altered parameter back to the initial state most likely will not restore the previous state to the complex model because all the parameters within the complex system have new balance operating states.

Many opinions about things are suggesting that society needs to change. My point in this post is to put forth the notion that those that are suggesting change ought to take into account the possible effects should everyone adopt that change. For example, if you are at a sporting event and you find that you have a better view if you stand up; you may adopt this opinion. However, if everyone was to stand up a number of things would happen. One is that you would no longer have a better view even while standing and you would no longer have any view from your set. In addition if there was some reason that you needed a better view for a temporary situation you could not stand up to obtain a better view. All of these results are part of the chaos theory model in predicting outcomes in a complex system.

What then is the genesis and engine of most opinions? I am not asking about opinions concerning what some may think that other opinions may originate – I am asking where and how you think you formulate your opinion and if you think everyone should use that exact same method to formulate an opinion about you.

The Travelr

Hidden

Googled Humans and Chaos Theory for further clarification and ended up on Theological Perspectives on Chaos Theory.

Chaotic Thoughs on something I haven't really thought about:

The butterfly effect of free agency, chance as spiritual growth, randomness is not the essence of freedom, mathematics and human limitations on being finite and having an infinite God.

Okay.

Here are some interesting quotes:

Steven Strogatz from Sync stated that "every decade or so, a grandiose theory comes along, bearing similar aspirations and often brandishing an ominous-sounding C-name. In the 1960s it was cybernetics. In the '70s it was catastrophe theory. Then came chaos theory in the '80s and complexity theory in the '90s."

Chaos is sometimes viewed as extremely complicated information, rather than as an absence of order.Complexity can mask underlying order.

Complexity theory looks at the equations for viewing order and chaos together.

On to human thought and chaos theory and complexity:

I don't think we have enough knowledge and what I have read seems a little vague.

On if you think everyone should use that exact same method to formulate an opinion about you: Our frame of reference is limited by what we can possibly understand. Morally 'no'. But it happens all of the time due to complexity.

Is the question itself neutral? If you think everyone should....

Our opinions and thought processes differ according to nurture and nature, both before and during earth life. I believe that even at the point when we were created as spirits , i.e., organized from intelligences, we were all different in our character, thoughts, feelings, etc. Before that point I care not to even speculate.

Anyhow I try to respect most genuine opinions if they appear to be (in my opinion :) ) well thought out. It doesn't mean I should always hold my tongue if I disagree, rather on the contrary we're all obligated to reason together, to share our perceptions and the facts and experiences behind them.

I will add what I think is a scriptural reference to the source of thoughts and opinions from the Book of Mormon.

“To be physically minded is death”

“To be spiritually minded is life”

I submit that we do not so much generate thoughts and opinions as we “tune” into them or filter them like we would a radio broadcast.

The Traveler

Not exactly Tabula rasa. But man is born without memory. It is interesting that our thoughts are tied to our language. We think in the language we speak. Part of learning a language is learning how to think in that language.

And another "thought" from scripture.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts say the L-rd neither or your thoughts my thoughts."

The Traveler

While I do think think it is obvious we are born without language, I do not think we are a blank slate. To begin with, I believe our genetic makeup plays a large part in our abilities and the different ways each of us processes information, including social, academic, cognitive, etc.

Then, while growing in the womb, we begin learning sensations as we develop, particularly, but not restricted to those learned from our mother. The whole family, whomever that may be, affects the developing person inside the womb. For example, if there is rage in the family unit, the child may experience it while still in the womb, and be born with a nervous system affected by that rage.

If the family is loving, joyful, content and happy, the child may be born with a nervous system that experiences the same sensations, and this child may grow up a happier human being, able to enjoy life in a way the previous child simply cannot.

So when we are born, we are not blank slates. We've been experiencing life for months already, and being born is simply a continuation of the process. However, our temperament depends so much on how we are treated in this sensitive time. Every little baby deserves oodles and oodles of love that will stay with them forever.

Elphaba

Hidden

Babies just have way too much personality, no language, but they are very much little entities that have shape all of their own. The terrible two year old tantrums in my opinion have a lot to do with not being able to express thoughts in words.

I agree that language affects thoughts and perception conceptually.