The Book Of Abraham

Gaea

I Came Across A Study, About The Book Of Abraham.

I Have Many Questions.

1. Do Mormons Believe That The Book Of Genesis Is Correct.

If Yes Then,

2. Is It Not Likely That The Book Of Abraham Story Of Creation Is Not Correct.

If NO Then.

3. How Can The Book Of Genesis Be Correct It Abraham Is Correct.

These Questions Are Very Important, So As Usual, Be Very careful How You Answer Them.

I Would Be Greatful For Your Insight.

I Have Many Questions.

If Yes Then,

If NO Then.

These Questions Are Very Important, So As Usual, Be Very careful How You Answer Them.

1. Yes. I believe the book of Genesis to be correct.

2. I believe the book of Genesis to correct.

3. If I recall correctly, the first 5 books of the Old Testament were compiled by Moses. Genesis would have been based on writings of others, even traditions that had been handed down. The creation story in Genesis, as I see it, was geared more towards teaching a lesson.

The book of Abraham was written by Abraham about his own experience. This would naturally be more detailed, because it was about the author's own experience. Thebook of Abraham is geared more towards relating an experience.

This is how I see it, others may have other points of view.

The basic answer to the idea of the Gods in the Book of Abraham is simple. In Genisis 11 the Gods go down to confuse the languages. I have heard it suggested its not Gods but the plural of majesty. The more likely explanation to me is God is talking to the angelic host. So the Gods in the Book of Abraham are actually God mixed in with the "god"s who are "god"s with a small "g".

Genisis 1:26,27 has man made in the image of God, and angels. It involved the angels in the creation of man not just God. Those threatened by the Gods assisting God in creation adopted the plural of majesty explanation. Saying God called himself an us was less threatening than having him talk to the angels and Jesus.

Does anybody have any proof the 2nd person of God was formless in-between his death and resurrection? (Luke 24:39) If not then God was also talking to a 2nd personage in the Godhead which is consistent with the Book of Abraham. Even if you call Jesus a God him and the Father have to be called Gods. Not even equivocating on Jesus Deity would avoid the idea real Gods created.

The only way to preserve the idea of one God would be equivocating on Jesus Deity. That wat the Father could alone be the supreme Deity. My Community of Christ/RLDS tried this approach for many years. Since scripture does not equivocate on Jesus Deity it was either confess them as two Gods, or become Trinitarian. So we chose to go Trinitarian.

Why can't both accounts be true? God agrees with Lucifer calling the angels and God together gods. (Genisis 3:5:3:22) Joseph Smith could have called them gods, but instead chose to dignify God by calling them "Gods" not "gods." Why would it dignify God to call him god instead of God?

• 2 weeks later...

I Have Many Questions.

If Yes Then,

If NO Then.

They are both correct.

If you are referring to the plurality of Gods in Abraham's account negating Moses's seemingly one God approach, concider this: as I understand it, usually when the Genesis account in the KJV of the bible said "God" the hebrew was "Elohim" with is the hebrew plural of god. Where is says "LORD" the hebrew says, "Yaweh" or "YHWH" which is Jehovah in English. So God=Gods and LORD=Jehovah.

With that in mind, the account in Genesis and Abraham are nearly identical. (see Abraham 5-6 and Genesis 1-2) The sequence of event are the same. One minor difference is Genesis call the firmament Heaven, but Abraham calls the expanse heaven. Which is fine. I have seen the word "vault" used instead of "firmament" in one English translation of the Bible. So vault=firmament=expanse=heaven. "Day" in the Genesis is rendered "Time" in Abraham. I think that "time" is the better word because "day" makes one think of a 24 hour day and since the sun, moon, and stars weren't set apart for reckoning days, months, and seasons until the forth "time" or "day" (see Abraham 5:14-19 and Genesis 1:14-19).

I Have Many Questions.

If Yes Then,

If NO Then.

What point are you trying get across to the forum? Is your intent in searching for the truth?

• 2 weeks later...