Bible quiz

Dr T

Since the last one was the same person what about this question: Some of the disciples were known by more than one name. By what other two names were Thaddaeus known.

a. Simon and Peter

b. T-bone and T

c. Matthew and Levi

d. Lebbaeus and Simon

Dr.T:

I think this one has problems. I am familiar with Thaddaeus as Lebbaeus or St. Jude the brother of J-sus. I have heard of a connection between St. Jude and Simon the Zealot, but I can not be sure about it. This is a rather arcane area that I have not studied as well as some.

I cannot be sure that Lebbaeus and Simon the Zealot can even be grouped together, but Lebbaeus and Thaddaeus can be linked as the same person. I'm more, but I am not sure the two in (d) can be paired.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken Ogre-thank you for that. :) I thought it was but I was looking into it more and it looks like you're correct on that. Thanks again.

===

Easy one:Which of Jesus' disciples was identified as the one "who also betrayed Him?"

a. Moe

b. Judas Iscariot

c. Thomas

d. Peter

Dr. T:

This is tricky, but according to modern-Rabbinical tradition(it doesn't matter: Orthodox, Conservative, or even Reform), what would be the correct order of importance for the following biblical prophets (they list seventeen, unlike the sixteen most Chr-stians are familiar with)?

Give it the old-college try!

a) Nahum, Joel, Zechariah, Jeremiah, Daniel

b) Alma the Younger, Nephi the son of Lehi, Moroni, Samuel the Lamanite, Jacob

c) Isaiah, Hosea, Jonah, Habakkuk, Malachi

d) Baruch, Obadiah, Habakkuk, Malachi, Isaiah

Dr. T:

This is tricky, but according to modern-Rabbinical tradition(it doesn't matter: Orthodox, Conservative, or even Reform), what would be the correct order of importance for the following biblical prophets (they list seventeen, unlike the sixteen most Chr-stians are familiar with)?

Give it the old-college try!

a) Nahum, Joel, Zechariah, Jeremiah, Daniel

b) Alma the Younger, Nephi the son of Lehi, Moroni, Samuel the Lamanite, Jacob

c) Isaiah, Hosea, Jonah, Habakkuk, Malachi

d) Baruch, Obadiah, Habakkuk, Malachi, Isaiah

The question is a bit confusing, but I'd say that C is your most logical choice and fits best into Jewish tradition the best.

Was Baruch the 17th prophet or was it someone else? I know there's also the Book of Tobit in the Jewish Apocrypha.

Here's one for you: According to the Talmud and Rabbinical Tradition, the "window" mentioned in the Ark of Noah was not a window at all. What was it?

a.) A fish tank

b.) No such tradition, it was a window

c.) A breathing hole to get air

d.) A shining stone

e.) A nice piece of pottery that was a family heirloom in Noah's family.

I'd guess C also but that would only be a shot in the dark for me. :)

Yay . . . you used the old-college try (always pick 'c', statistically it yields better results). C is correct out of the following list: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Baruch, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.

Baruch, an apocryphal book, is actually the name of a text whose author is unknown, but who did attribute it to Jeremiah's scribe Baruch. This was common practise and is not looked down upon (some scholars actually think The Song of Solomon was written by a woman).

I think an LDS or Chr-stian list would be different. I think we would place Malachi a bit higher on the list. I also think it is interesting (fascinating even) that the order of prominence is also the same order as they fall in the KJV sans Baruch.

Here's one for you: According to the Talmud and Rabbinical Tradition, the "window" mentioned in the Ark of Noah was not a window at all. What was it?

a.) A fish tank

d.) A shining stone

The correct answer is D.

This is particularly interesting because by the description in the tradition, it sounds very similar to the shining stones that the Brother of Jared had while crossing the oceans.

"a shining stone"? Where did u get that information Faded? I've never read anything about it.

===

Yes d. is correct They were in the genealogy of Jesus (Matt. 1:3, 5, 16) Tamar, Rahab, and Ruth were Gentiles; and Tamar and Rahab were involved in immoral activities (Gen 38:14-26; Josh 2:1) Good job Faded!

a.) A fish tank

d.) A shining stone

Tricky tricky. It depends on which translation you use and which one can be used to verify the Jaredite tradition. I think 'C' (nappashu) as opposed to 'D' (tsohar) (though both probably were present), because (1) it is more practical and (2) more contextual.

I know of several references to polished stones and/or shining stones as per reference Noah's Ark, but I still think they had to provide loads of air for the animals to breath and the Noah account nowhere mentions the need to submerge. I think it is a possibility that the Brother of Jared knew of Noah's stone and used it as inspiration, but this is all speculation and based on the work of dirty apologetics, so bah: C.

"a shining stone"? Where did u get that information Faded? I've never read anything about it.

If you read your footnotes in your LDS copy of the Bible, in the footnotes for Genesis 6:16, you will find the following:

16a HEB tsohar; some rabbis believed it was a precious stone that shone in the ark.

We do have some very cool footnotes, wouldn't you say? Ogre is likely correct, both were probably present.

If you read your footnotes in your LDS copy of the Bible, in the footnotes for Genesis 6:16, you will find the following:

16a HEB tsohar; some rabbis believed it was a precious stone that shone in the ark.

We do have some very cool footnotes, wouldn't you say? Ogre is likely correct, both were probably present.

I got my answer from an old BYU Studies Journal. I subscribe, but don't tell anyone (do you want to know silly: I yell at it all the time for missing the point -- yelling at a book, oh my). Edited by the Ogre

I discovered that detail in the footnotes. Of course the footnotes of the LDS Bible only tells the tiniest bit of the story. There's a lot more to know. But it's a decent summary of the fact that the tradition of a "shining stone" existed in the Ark.

New question: All of the Epistles are Paul are listed in order of size (with letters to the same person or place kept together of course.) Which of the Epistles of Paul is an exception to this rule of biggest to smallest?

A.) Jude because Paul didn't write it.

B.) Hebrews because Paul might not have written it.

C.) Galatians because it was actually written by Peter.

D.) 1 Timothy because it was written to an individual and not a city.

E.) Romans because it was more important, doctrinally.

-Jude was written by Jude, the brother of James so not that one.

-The writer of Hebrews is a mystery and stands alone among the NT epistles in its style and approach.

-Galatians is said to be written by Paul and it is virtually unchallenged.

-1 Tim is a Pastoral Epistle and has been attacked more than any other Pauline epistle of the issue of authenticity

-Roman is Paul's greatest work of his 13 epistles in the New Testament. It explores the sinificance of Jesus' sacrificial death.

With the exception of the ones names above I'd have to get a clearer understanding of what u mean by "size" I guess.

Dr T noted all the information that makes B the correct answer.

To explain further, the order of the New Testament is not chronological as everyone assuredly knows, but there was some rhyme and reason going into the order them:

New Testament Canon

(Numbers in parentheses after each book indicate the total number of chapters / verses / words in the Greek version; for more details, see my NT Statistics page)

I) Four "Gospels": "Good News" about Jesus Christ; authorship attributed to the four "Evangelists"; narrative portraits of Jesus written for various early Christian communities; similar to ancient biographies in form (but rather different from modern biographies!):

The Synoptic Gospels:

Matthew (28 / 1071 / 18345)

Mark (16 / 678 / 11304)

Luke (24 / 1151 / 19482)

The Fourth Gospel:

John (21 / 879 / 15635)

II) One "Acts": a partial narrative account of the growth of the Early Church; a continuation of Luke's Gospel; contains historical materials, but is not a complete "history" of apostolic Christianity (at least not by modern historical standards):

The Acts of the Apostles (28 / 1005 / 18451)

III) Twenty-One "Letters" or "Epistles": written by (or attributed to) various early Christian leaders, known as “apostles”

IIIa) Thirteen Letters attributed to Paul: real letters written by Paul (or his associates) to particular communities or individuals, concerning various local problems and issues:

Letters sent to Christian communities in the following cities:

Romans (16 / 433 / 7111)

1 Corinthians (16 / 437 / 6829)

2 Corinthians (13 / 256 / 4477)

Galatians (6 / 149 / 2230)

Ephesians (6 / 155 / 2422)

Philippians (4 / 104 / 1629)

Colossians (4 / 95 / 1582)

1 Thessalonians (5 / 89 / 1481)

2 Thessalonians (3 / 47 / 823)

Letters addressed to individual Christian leaders:

1 Timothy (6 / 113 / 1591)

2 Timothy (4 / 83 / 1238)

Titus (3 / 46 / 659)

Philemon (1 / 25 / 335)

IIIb) One Biblical Sermon: interprets Jesus in light of the OT; in the past sometimes attributed to Paul, but neither the author nor the audience is explicitly mentioned:

Hebrews (13 / 303 / 4953)

IIIc) Seven Catholic Epistles or General Letters: authorship attributed to other apostles (for whom they are named!); most not written to individual communities, but to broader audiences ("catholic" = "general, universal"):

James (5 / 108 / 1742)

1 Peter (5 / 105 / 1684)

2 Peter (3 / 61 / 1099)

1 John (5 / 105 / 2141)

2 John (1 / 13 / 245)

3 John (1 / 15 / 219)

Jude (1 / 25 / 461)

IV) One "Apocalypse": a highly symbolic narrative that interprets a historical crisis and provides hope for a better future:

The Book of Revelation (22 / 404 / 9825)

This link doesn't use the same verbiage for things that I would, but it demonstrates how the Epistles of Paul in the Bible are all consistently ordered. Dr T nailed most of the points. Ogre got the last bit. You're absolutely right, it's word count. But not English word count. Original Greek word count.

The question relates to the Epistles of Paul, and I did neglect to include the division between "letters to communities" and "letters to individuals." But notice that the order within those divisions consistently lines up with word count.

I was asking the question based upon what I knew off the top of my head, so I had to go look it up to demonstrate my point. I was surprised to find that there was an additional "odd man out." By both word count and verse count, Galatians should come after Ephesians, not before. It is a minor deviation in ordering but it makes me curious why it happened.

Ultimately, there are two books in the New Testament that are placed where they are placed because they are the "odd men out" and their logical placement was unclear. Hebrews is placed at the very end of all Pauline Epistles because it is traditionally attributed to Paul, but it is not certain that he wrote it. This way, it is either the first non-Pauline Epistle or the last Pauline Epistle, which makes it's placement correct either way. The Revelation of John rests in a category all by itself. There were certainly books written by the same author at a later date, but the placement of the Revelation is because it doesn't fit into any other category.

I find it is highly useful to know why the books of the New Testament are placed in the order that they are, and more importantly that they were not ordered Chronologically. For one thing, many Christians make the incorrect assumption that the Revelation of John was written last just because it show up last in their Bible. The fact that this is absolutely not true effectively negates the validity of using Revelation 22:18-19 to "prove" that the Bible teaches that there can never be any more written words of Revelation/Doctrine of equal authority to the Bible. The bit about Hebrews is an interesting extra bit of information that was nice to know.

Anyways, correct answer is B. Since I missed some of my details I think I'll forgo asking anymore questions for awhile.

Edited by Faded

Tree of Life...

Do you know which direction they expelled Adam? LOL

I would like to answer this question as I do not think it has been answered yet (I have not gone through the entire thread though).

Adam and Eve were sent East of Eden, this is because East was seen symbolically as traveling away from God while traveling West was seen symbolically as traveling toward God.

...traveling West was seen symbolically as traveling toward God.

Hahahaha, yes that's true! West-L.A. (LAKERS) symbolic as traveling toward divinity... ;)

===

Faded, thats good information. Thank you for that :)