Books on receiving what is promised us

Guest tomk

Interesting list...

I finished the Pontius's "Seek the Face of the Lord". Interesting to read it from another man's perspective. There are only a few notable errors but well worth the read to those who seek this. One that I had to step back was Seth denoting Shem. Shem was the son of Noah and not Seth. Shem is the Great High Priest - glad to see this for personally, I do believe this is correct.

I am still reading the other Tom.

While mortal? You'd pretty much have to have your calling and election made sure, be sealed up unto eternal life, living a celestial law, having your judgment advanced, etc. Bruce R. McConkie is the only person I know of that has written about this in his Doctrinal Commentary Books. I believe that this particular scripture refers to Christ's second Coming, though.

I could be wrong, but I do believe this calling and election made sure is reserved for our apostles and prophet, who are to be special witnesses of Christ, who's testimonies God will never suffer to fall.

Guest tomk

While mortal? You'd pretty much have to have your calling and election made sure, be sealed up unto eternal life, living a celestial law, having your judgment advanced, etc. Bruce R. McConkie is the only person I know of that has written about this in his Doctrinal Commentary Books. I believe that this particular scripture refers to Christ's second Coming, though.

I could be wrong, but I do believe this calling and election made sure is reserved for our apostles and prophet, who are to be special witnesses of Christ, who's testimonies God will never suffer to fall.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Ten Blessings of the Priesthood

Read Blessing 10 very carefully. Then come back. :)

Let's not siphon away the power of what D&C 93:1 is promising by believing that the promise is only for "Prophets and Apostles" or that it refers to some future Millenial day. The scriptures are for US -- TODAY!!

Guest tomk
"This principle"--that of having one's calling and election made sure and of being sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise--"ought (in its proper place) to be taught," the Prophet said, "for God hath not revealed anything to Joseph, but what he will make known unto the Twelve, and even the least saint may know all things as fast as he is able to bear them, for the day must come when no man need say to his neighbor, know ye the Lord; for all shall know him (who remain) from the least to the greatest. How is this to be done? It is to be done by this sealing power, and the other Comforter spoken of, which will be manifest by revelation." (Teachings, 149.)

Guest tomk

Let me clear.

Saints today can and do see the risen Lord in person. Not just in a dream or vision, but face to face. He can be seen and touched before we die.

That is the promise and pattern of the scriptures. Moses tried to lead his people right into the presence of God, but they were not ready. Think about the City of Enoch. Oh, that all cities could be blessed similarly. Trust me when I tell you it is not because of any hesitancy on the Lord's part. He wants everyone to have that Apostolic witness. That witness is offered to everyone - the "least Saint." We just need to distinguish between one's witness and one's calling.

This book was written by an obscure member of the Church in the year 2006. He claims to have seen the risen Lord, and I believe him:

Amazon.com: The Second Comforter:: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil: Denver C. Jr. Snuffer: Books

"Principles of Perfection" , The Second Comforter

by Hyrum L. Andrus

"Who Am I?", THE TWO COMFORTERS

by Alvin R. Dyer

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people." There will be a day when latter-day Israel will serve the Lord with all their hearts and make themselves worthy of the fulness of his glory. "And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." (Jer. 31:31-34.)

Joseph Smith tells us that Jeremiah's prophecy will be fulfilled during the Millennium. The Prophet speaks of making one's calling and election sure and of the sealing power whereby "we may be sealed up unto the day of redemption." Then he says: "This principle ought (in its proper place) to be taught, for God hath not revealed anything to Joseph, but what He will make known unto the Twelve, and even the least Saint may know all things as fast as he is able to bear them, for the day must come when no man need say to his neighbor, Know ye the Lord; for all shall know Him (who remain) from the least to the greatest." These are the very words of Jeremiah's prophecy; and they will find their complete fulfillment among those "who remain," those who abide the day, those who gain an inheritance on the new earth when it receives its paradisiacal glory again. "How is this to be done?" the Prophet asks. How shall men come to know the Lord and understand all the hidden mysteries of his kingdom without a teacher? His answer: "It is to be done by this sealing power, and the other Comforter spoken of, which will be manifest by revelation." (Teachings, p. 149.) Bruce R. McConkie, Millennial Messiah

I definitely agree with that. A dearly departed friend of mine about 16 years ago shared a wonderful experience he had in the temple about seeing the Savior. I shouldn't have qualified my post by saying that the privilege was "reserved" for the apostles and prophets, but we definitely need to have our calling and election made sure, etc.

Elder Willard Richards, Diary entry:

27 June 1839 (Thursday). Commerce, Hancock County, Illinois

The Doctrine of Election

St Paul exhorts us to make our Calling & Election shure. 6 This is that sealing power spoken of by Paul in other places (See Eph I. 13.14. In whom ye also trusted, that after ye heard the word of truth; the gospel of your salvation, in whom also after that ye believed ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise. Which is the earnest of our inheritance, until the redemption of the purchased possession unto the praise of his glory.) That we may be sealed up unto the day of redemption, this principle ought. (in its proper place 7) to be taught, for God hath not revealed any thing to Joseph, but what he will make known unto the Twelve 8 & even the least Saint may know all things as fast as he is able to—bear them. for the day must come when no man need say to his neighbor know ye the Lord for all shall know him (who Remain) from the least to the greatest, How is this to be done? It is to be done by this sealing power & the other comforter spoken of which will be manifest by Revelation. 9 There is two Comforters spoken of is the Holy Ghost the same as given on the day of pentecost and that all Saints receive after faith. Repentance & Baptism. This first comforter or Holy Ghost has no other effect than pure inteligence. It is more powerful in expanding the mind enlightening the understanding & storeing the intellect with present knowledge of a man who is of the literal Seed of Abraham than one that is a gentile though it may not have half as much visible effect upon the body for as the Holy Ghost falls upon one of the Literal Seed of Abraham it is calm & serene & his whole soul & body are only exercised by the pure spirit of Inteligence; while the effect of the Holy Ghost upon a Gentile is to purge out the old blood & make him actually of the seed of Abraham. That man that has none of the blood of Abraham (naturally) must have a new creation by the Holy Ghost, 10 in such a case there may be more of a powerful effect upon the body & visible to the eye than upon an Israelite, while the Israelite at first might be far before the Gentile in pure inteligence

The other Comforter spoken of is a subject of great interest & perhaps understood by few of this generation, After a person hath faith in Christ, repents of his sins & is Baptized for the remission of his sins & received the Holy Ghost (by the laying on of hands) which is the first Comforter then let him continue to humble himself before God, hungering & thirsting after Righteousness. & living by every word of God & the Lord will soon say unto him Son thou shalt be exalted. 11 &c When the Lord has thoroughly proved him & finds that the man is determined to serve him at all hazard. then the man will find his calling & Election made sure 12 then it will be his privilege to receive the other Comforter which the Lord hath promised the saints as is recorded in the testimony of St John in the XIV ch from the 12th to the 27 verses Note the 16. 17. 18. 21. 23. verses. (16.vs) & I will pray the father & he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; (17) Even the Spirit of Truth; 13 whom the world cannot receive because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him; but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you & shall be in you. 14 (18) I will not leave you comfortless. I will come to you (21) He that hath my commandments & keepeth them, he it is that loveth me. & he that loveth me shall be loved of my father. & I will love him & will manifest myself to him (23) If a man Love me he will keep my words. & my Father will love him. & we will come unto him, & make our abode with him.

Now what is this other Comforter? It is no more or less than the Lord Jesus Christ himself & this is the sum & substance of the whole matter, that when any man obtains this last Comforter he will have the personage of Jesus Christ to attend him or appear unto him from time to time. & even he will manifest the Father unto him & they will take up their abode with him, & the visions of the heavens will be opened unto him & the Lord will teach him face to face & he may have a perfect knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God, & this is the state & place the Ancient Saints arrived at when they had such glorious vision Isaiah, Ezekiel, John upon the Isle of Patmos, St Paul in the third heavens, & all the Saints who held communion with the general Assembly & Church of the First Born &c. [15]

The Spirit of Revelation [16] is in connection with these blessings. A person may profit by noticing the first intimation of the Spirit of Revelation for instance when you feel pure lnteligence flowing unto you it may give you sudden strokes of ideas that by noticeting it you may find it. fulfilled the same day or Soon. (I.E.) those things that were presented unto your minds by the Spirit of God will come to pass and thus by learning the Spirit of God. & understanding it you may grow into the principle of Revelation. until you become perfect in Christ Jesus

References:

6. It is possible that Joseph Smith said, "St Peter exhorts us to make our Calling and Election sure": the phraseology is Peter's not Paul's (2 Peter 1:10). On the other hand, Joseph does say in the next sentence that when Paul speaks of the sealing power (2 Corinthians 1:20-22; Ephesians 1:13-14; 4:30), he is speaking of the doctrine of making our calling and election sure. More significant, however, is the fact that this is the first record we have of discourse by the Prophet Joseph on this doctrine using Peter's words "calling and election sure." To be sure the general concept was taught as early as 1834 because Oliver Cowdery says that the Saints "make their calling and election sure" when they "obtain the promise from the Lord of glory ('hear his voiceÂ[and receive] a promise from his mouth') that their salvation was sealed that their election was sure" (see The Evening and The Morning Star 2 [June 1834]: 167). Furthermore, in 1835 Joseph Smith wrote to his uncle Silas to convince him that revelation was still necessary, reasoning that the modern Saints had to hear an audible voice from the Lord by revelation to know that their salvation was secure, just as their ancient counterparts had received such assurances by revelation. However, in this letter Joseph Smith made no allusion to Peter's "calling and election" wording (Oliver R. Smith, ed., Six Decades in the Early West: The Journal of Jesse Nathaniel Smith; Diaries of a Mormon Pioneer, 1834-1906. 3d ed. [Provo, Utah: Jesse N. Smith Family Association, 1970], pp. 3-4). These instructions by the Prophet Joseph on making one's calling and election sure reminded Heber C. Kimball (who undoubtedly was present at this meeting) of an experience just two months previous. He recorded in his journal, "[On 6 April 1839] the following words came to my mind, and the Spirit said unto me, 'write,' which I did by taking a piece of paper and writing on my knee as follows:Â'Verily I say unto my servant Heber, thou art my son, in whom I am well pleased; for thou art careful to hearken to my words, and not transgress my law, nor rebel against my servant Joseph Smith, for thou hast a respect to the words of mine anointed, even from the least to the greatest of them; therefore thy name is written in heaven, no more to be blotted out for ever, because of these things" (Heber C. Kimball, Journal, Library-Archives, the Historical Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah [hereafter referred to as Church Archives]).

7. As Joseph Smith here defines it, making one's calling and election sure is the crowning achievement of a life of righteous devotion. However, the Prophet apparently senses that if this concept is too commonly taught it could easily generate within the Church a misguided devotion to a principle that could divert the Saints' energy from the equally important principle of selfless devotion to others. Seeking blessings for oneself only is contrary to the principle that "He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it" (Matthew 10:39).

8. The nature of the presiding authority of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles developed over several years. In 1835, when they were first organized, they were recognized as special missionaries with jurisdiction limited to the areas where there were no organized stakes. In 1841, after their return from Great Britain, the Twelve were appointed a position next to the First Presidency in settling the Saints in the stakes of Zion. Given the roles of Brighan Young and Heber C. Kimball (senior members in the Twelve) in organizing and moving the Saints from Missouri to Quincy, Illinois, when the Prophet was in Liberty Jail, this statement (in 1839) seems to foreshadow the later development.

9. Joseph Smith asked rhetorically how the Lord's restatement (D&C 84:98) of Jeremiah's great prophecy on the last days (Jer. 31:31-34) was to be fulfilled. He answered that it will be fulfilled when the Saints' callings and elections are made sure and when they receive the Second Comforter.

10. 2 Corinthians 5:17.

11. John 6:27, 66-71 (cf. JST John 6:27); 14:12-15; 17:2-3; Acts 13:48; Romans 6:23; 2 Corinthians 1:20-22; 1 Timothy 6:12; 2 Timothy 4:6-8; Titus 1:1-3; Hebrews 11:2, 4-6, 13, 26-27, 33, 39-40; 2 Peter 1:10-11, 19; 1 John 1:1-3; 2:25 (20-27); 3:15; 5:11-13 (1-20); Revelation 7:1-3; 14:1-5; 2 Nephi 31:20; Enos 5-8, 27; Mosiah 5:15; 26:20; Helaman 10:4-10; 3 Nephi 28:3, 10 (1-15); Mormon 2:19; Ether 12:37 (19-40); Moroni 10:34; D&C 53:1; 59:23; 68:12; 76:50-53, 58, 70 (50-70); 77:8-9, 11; 131:5-6; 132:7, 19-24, 26-27; 46-50, 59-60; Moses 1:4, 25-26; 5:4-11; 6:34 (26-36), 52-68; 7:27, 62-64; Abraham 2:6-11 (cf. Genesis 22); JST Genesis 9:21-23; JST Genesis 14:26-35 (cf. Alma 13); and, JST 1 John 3:9. See also the Apocrypha, 2 Esdras 2:33-48.

12. 2 Peter 1:10.

13. D&C 93:26 also identifies Jesus Christ with the title normally assigned to the Holy Ghost, namely, the Spirit of Truth.

14. Verse 20 of this chapter of John indicates that when a man receives the blessings of the Second Comforter, as Joseph Smith defines them in this discourse, then, "At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you." See the same idea in D&C 88:49-50, 66-69.

15. Isaiah 6; Ezekiel 1, 40-47; the book of Revelation; 1 Corinthians 12:1-4; and Hebrews 12:22-24. Regarding the last passage on the "Church of the Firstborn," see also D&C 76:50-54, 67, 94, 102, and 118 (114-119); 78:20-21; 88:3-5; 93:21-22; and 129.

The theme of the "other Comforter" as the personal appearance of the Savior to those faithful saints after they have made their calling and election sure was a prevalent theme not only in Joseph Smith's discourses throughout the remainder of his life, but also in the scriptures he previously recorded. See 2 Nephi 1:15; 2:3; 10:2-3; 25:13; Mosiah 27:30; 3 Nephi 19:14-36; Mormon 1:15; Ether 3:6-16; 9:22; 12:39; D&C 67:10; 76:5-10, 22-25, 114-19; 84:18-27; 88:3-5, 67-69, 75; 93:1; 97:16; 101:23, 38; 103:20; 107:18-20, 49, 53-57; 109:5, 12; and 110:1-10. See also D&C 130:3.

16. D&C 8:2-3.* See scriptural references listed in note 3, this discourse. In regard to the assertion that the Spirit of Revelation is in connection with the blessings of Calling and Election and the Second Comforter, Joseph Smith later stated that making one's calling and election sure was "by revelation and the spirit of prophecy" (D&C 131:5).

Guest tomk

"Principles of Perfection" , The Second Comforter

by Hyrum L. Andrus

"Who Am I?", THE TWO COMFORTERS

by Alvin R. Dyer

Certainly -- it would seem that it will happen to MORE people, MORE often in the Millenium.

The brother of Jared did not live during the Millenium. Joseph Smith did not live during the Millenium.

Let's focus on the fact that it is possible, now, today, for anyone.

I can't find the quote -- but those who live as if the Millenium were already here - can receive all the promised blessings - including a personal "Second Coming" of the Lord to them personally -- before it happens worldwide.

Guest tomk

I definitely agree with that. A dearly departed friend of mine about 16 years ago shared a wonderful experience he had in the temple about seeing the Savior. I shouldn't have qualified my post by saying that the privilege was "reserved" for the apostles and prophets, but we definitely need to have our calling and election made sure, etc.

More books on that topic would be great to have.

Does anyone have any links?

Last referred book, chapter 24, Blaine has this to say:

Feeling the Savior's Wounds

When the Savior appeared to his disciples in the upper room shortly after his resurrection, one of his first actions was to invite them to step forward and feel for themselves the wounds in his hands and feet. Luke records:

"Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. And when he had thus spoken, he showed them his hands and his feet" (Luke 24:36-40).

To the Nephites at the temple in Bountiful, the message was the same:

"Arise and come forth unto me," the resurrected Lord declared, "that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world. And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come" (3 Nephi 11:14-15).

It was with this in mind—the necessity of feeling for ourselves the Savior's wounds as He brings us through the true veil—that Joseph Smith declared on Sunday, May 1, 1842:

"No one can truly say he knows God until he has handled something, and this can only be in the holiest of holies" (History of the Church, 4:608; see also John 17:3; 1 John 1:1-3; D&C 45:51-53; 50:45; 67:10; 84:98; 132:22-24).

It is in connection with this transcendent experience that individuals are given what Joseph Smith called the grand key word of the priesthood. As the Prophet explained: "The g[rand] key word was the first word Adam spoke and is a word of supplication. He found the word by the Urim and Thummim—it is that key word to which the heavens [are] opened" (William Clayton, "Journal," 15 June 1844, Private Custody).

Another interesting quote by Joseph Smith, Blaine talks about:

Joseph Smith taught that "when any man obtains this last Comforter he will have the personage of Jesus Christ to attend him or appear unto him from time to time. And even he will manifest the Father unto him and they will take up their abode with him, and the visions of the heavens will be opened unto him and the Lord will teach him face to face and he may have a perfect knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of God, and this is the state and place the Ancient Saints arrived at when they had such glorious visions Isaiah, Ezekiel, John upon the Isle of Patmos, St. Paul in the third heavens, and all the Saints who held communion with the general assembly and Church of the First Born." (Words, p. 5; emphasis mine; spelling and punctuation standardized).

Joseph Smith said in regards to Peter's epistle statement concerning the Second Comforter:

"Now, there is some grand secret here, and keys to unlock the subject. Notwithstanding the apostle exhorts them to add to their faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, etc., yet he exhorts them to make their calling and election sure. And though they had heard an audible voice from heaven bearing testimony that Jesus was the Son of God; yet he says we have a more sure word of prophecy, whereunto ye do well that ye take heed as unto a light shining in a dark place. Now, wherein could they have a more sure word of prophecy than to hear the voice of God saying, This is my beloved Son.

"Now for the secret and grand key. Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their election and calling was made sure, that they had part with Christ, and were joint-heirs with him. They then would want that more sure word of prophecy, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promise sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation. Then knowledge through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

"Compare this principle once with Christendom at the present day, and where are they, with all their boasted religion, piety and sacredness while at the same time they are crying out against prophets, apostles, angels, revelations, prophesying and visions, etc. Why, they are just ripening for the damnation of hell. They will be damned, for they reject the most glorious principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and treat with disdain and trample under foot the key that unlocks the heavens and puts in our possession the glories of the celestial world. Yes, I say, such will be damned, with all their professed godliness. Then I would exhort you to go on and continue to call upon God until you make your calling and election sure for yourselves, by obtaining this more sure word of prophecy, and wait patiently for the promise until you obtain it." (Teachings, pp. 298-299.)

Joseph pointed out that by hearing the voice of the Savior is not ensuring your election is called for sure. We must asked for the veil to be parted to witnessed the Godhead.

Next to Denver's book, Elder McConkie's "Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, vol. 3", chapter 34, Making Your Calling and Election [The Second Epistle General of Peter] answers every question that anyone would ask about this subject. Heavily referenced and outlined. Suggested reading for those who are seeking

Posted Image

Monte S. Nyman & Charles D. Tate book titled "Helaman through 3 Nephi 8", chapter "Nephi's Ultimate Encounters with Deity", he states:

NPosted Imageephi's Ultimate Encounter with Deity: Some Thoughts on Helaman 10

Now what is this other Comforter? It is no more nor less than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself; and this is the sum and substance of the whole matter; that when any man obtains this last Comforter, he will have the personage of Jesus Christ to attend him, or appear unto him from time to time, and even He will manifest the Father unto him, and they will take up their abode with him, and the visions of the heavens will be opened unto him, and the Lord will teach him face to face, and he may have a perfect knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of God; and this is the state and place the ancient Saints arrived at when they had such glorious visions—Isaiah, Ezekiel, John upon the Isle of Patmos, St. Paul in the three heavens, and all the Saints who held communion with the general assembly and the Church of the Firstborn. (TPJS 150-151)

However, we must note that not every vision of the Savior is associated with his appearance as the Second Comforter. Three illustrations of this point are to be found in the lives of Nephi, Joseph Smith, and King Lamoni. Both Nephi and Joseph, who had seen the Lord in vision, were given their unconditional guarantee of exaltation only after long years of devoted service, through hazardous times and life-threatening situations.

What we learn from this seeming paradox is that receiving a glorious vision is not an automatic guarantee of exaltation nor are marvelous manifestations given only to those who have had their calling and election made sure. The revelation of Jesus Christ is not synonymous with the seal of exaltation or the unconditional promise of the Second Comforter. Thus a person like King Lamoni could receive a vision of his Redeemer and not necessarily have his calling and election made sure (Alma 19:13).

Guarantees of exaltation along with receiving the Second Comforter are given to those who are proven to be thoroughly loyal to the Lord at all hazards. The nature of those hazards may change from dispensation to dispensation and may even be different from individual to individual.

However, according to Joseph Smith hazards must come and one must stand loyal to God in the face of those hazards while continuing to hunger and thirst after righteousness. This statement implies, as do the very lives of Joseph Smith and Nephi, the son of Helaman, that the guarantee of exaltation comes only after a significant period of testing, and that glorious spiritual experiences can come prior to the giving of that guarantee.

We also need to note that people may receive exaltation without having the Savior appear to them in mortality. Many who obtain eternal life will do so by enduring to the end of mortality in faithfulness. In Doctrine and Covenants 50:5 we read: "But blessed are they who are faithful and endure, whether in life or in death, for they shall inherit eternal life" (see also 2 Nephi 31:20; D&C 14:7; 46:14).

So in essence, the Savior Himself or one of His ministering Spirits, based on how busy the Savior will need to confirmed the Election principle in person or through a vision.

Elder McConkie warning for those who sin after accepting this calling:

What if those whose calling and election has been made sure thereafter commit grievous sins? Suppose they backslide and walk in the ways of wickedness? Or fight the truth and rebel against God—what then?

That all men commit sin, before and after baptism, and for that matter, before and after their calling and election is made sure, is self-evident. There has been only one Sinless One—the Lord Jesus who was God's own Son.

Thus in the revelation announcing the setting up of the restored church in this day, the Lord says: "There is a possibility that man may fall from grace and depart from the living God; Therefore let the church take heed and pray always, lest they fall into temptation; Yea, and even let those who are sanctified take heed also." (D. & C. 20:32-34.)

The prophets and apostles from Adam and Enoch down, and all men, whether cleansed and sanctified from sin or not, are yet subject to and do in fact commit sin. This is the case even after men have seen the visions of eternity and been sealed by that Holy Spirit of Promise which makes their calling and election sure. Since these chosen ones have the sure promise of eternal life, and since "no unclean thing can enter into" the Father's "kingdom" (3 Ne. 27:19), "or dwell in his presence" (Moses 6:57), what of sins committed after being sealed up into eternal life?

Obviously the laws of repentance still apply, and the more enlightened a person is, the more he seeks the gift of repentance, and the harder he strives to free himself from sin as often as he falls short of the divine will and becomes subject in any degree to the Master of Sin who is Lucifer. It follows that the sins of the god fearing and the righteous are continually remitted because they repent and seek the Lord anew every day and every hour.

And as a matter of fact, the added blessing of having one's calling and election made sure is itself an encouragement to avoid sin and a hedge against its further commission. By that long course of obedience and trial which enabled them to gain so great a blessing the sanctified saints have charted a course and developed a pattern of living which avoids sin and encourages righteousness. Thus the Lord said: "I give unto you Hyrum Smith to be a patriarch unto you, to hold the sealing blessings of my church, even the Holy Spirit of promise, whereby ye are sealed up unto the day of redemption, that ye may not fall notwithstanding the hour of temptation that may come upon you." (D. & C. 124:124.)

But suppose such persons become disaffected and the spirit of repentance leaves them—which is a seldom and almost unheard of eventuality—still, what then? The answer is—and the revelations and teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith so recite!—they must then pay the penalty of their own sins, for the blood of Christ will not cleanse them. Or if they commit murder or adultery, they lose their promised inheritance because these sins are exempt from the sealing promises. Or if they commit the unpardonable sin, they become sons of perdition.

As we have already seen, making one's calling and election sure comes after and grows out of celestial marriage. Eternal life does not and cannot exist for a man or a woman alone, because in its very nature it consists of the continuation of the family unit in eternity. Thus the revelation on marriage speaks both of celestial marriage (in which the conditional promises of eternal life are given) and of making one's calling and election sure (in which the unconditional promise of eternal life are given) in one and the same sentence—which sentence also says that those who commit sins (except "murder whereby to shed innocent blood") after being sealed up unto eternal life shall still gain exaltation. This is the language: "Then"—that is, after their calling and election has been made sure—"shall it be written in the Lamb's Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever. Then shall they be gods," because they have eternal life. (D. & C. 132:19-20.)

Then the revelation speaks of that obedience out of which eternal life grows, and still speaking both of celestial marriage and of making one's calling and election sure says: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man marry a wife according to my word, and they are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, according to mine appointment"—that is, if they are both married and have their calling and election made sure—"and he or she shall commit any sin or transgression of the new and everlasting covenant whatever, and all manner of blasphemies, and if they commit no murder wherein they shed innocent blood, yet they shall come forth in the first resurrection, and enter into their exaltation; but they shall be destroyed in the flesh, and shall be delivered unto the buffetings of Satan unto the day of redemption, saith the Lord God." (D. & C. 132:26.)

This matter of being destroyed in the flesh and delivered over to the buffetings of Satan until the day of redemption is the doctrine of blood atonement, whereunder those here involved are not cleansed by the blood of Christ, but must pay the penalty for their own sins. This principle can only operate in a day, as that of Moses, when there is no separation of Church and state and when the Church has power to take life. Of conditions in our day, and as to how this law applies to us, President Joseph Fielding Smith says: "We cannot destroy men in the flesh, because we do not control the lives of men and do not have power to pass sentences upon them which involve capital punishment. In the days when there was a theocracy on the earth, then this decree was enforced. What the Lord will do in lieu of this, because we cannot destroy in the flesh, I am unable to say, but it will have to be made up in some other way." (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 2, p. 97.)

As to the shedding of innocent blood, within the meaning of this revelation, the Lord says: "The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall not be forgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit murder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be damned, saith the Lord." (D. & C. 132:27.) That is, the innocent blood is that of Christ; and those who commit blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which is the unpardonable sin (Matt. 12:31-32), thereby "crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." (Heb. 6:6.) They are, in other words, people who would have crucified Christ, having the while a perfect knowledge that he was the Son of God.

Following the pattern set by the Lord of speaking both of celestial marriage and of being sealed up unto eternal life in the same context, Joseph Smith said: "Putting my hand on the knee of William Clayton, I said: Your life is hid with Christ in God, and so are many others. Nothing but the unpardonable sin can prevent you from inheriting eternal life for you are sealed up by the power of the priesthood unto eternal life, having taken the step necessary for that purpose. Except a man and his wife enter into an everlasting covenant and be married for eternity, while in this probation, by the power and authority of the Holy Priesthood, they will cease to increase when they die; that is, they will not have any children after the resurrection. But those who are married by the power and authority of the priesthood in this life, and continue without committing the sin against the Holy Ghost, will continue to increase and have children in the celestial glory. The unpardonable sin is to shed innocent blood, or be accessory thereto. All other sins will be visited with judgment in the flesh, and the spirit being delivered to the buffetings of Satan until the day of the Lord Jesus." (History of Church, vol. 5, pp. 391-392.)

Perhaps this matter of being "visited with judgment in the flesh"—whatever it may be in an individual case—is the Lord's way of handling things when it is not possible for a person to be "destroyed in the flesh." (D. & C. 132:26.) In this connection, also—and having in mind that the sealing power was given by Elijah to Peter, James, and John on the Mount of Transfiguration (Teachings, p. 158), and again to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple (D. & C. 110:13-16)—we should note these words of the Prophet: "This spirit of Elijah was manifest in the days of the Apostles, in delivering certain ones to the buffetings of Satan, that they might be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. They were sealed by the spirit of Elijah unto the damnation of hell until the day of Lord, or revelation of Jesus Christ." (Teachings, p. 338.)

As to the fact that the sealing power cannot seal a man up so as to keep him from being a son of perdition, if that is the course he chooses to follow, the Prophet says: "The doctrine that the Presbyterians and Methodists have quarreled so much about—once in grace, always in grace, or falling away from grace, I will say a word about. They are both wrong. Truth takes a road between them both, for while the Presbyterian says: 'Once in grace, you cannot fall;' the Methodist says: 'You can have grace today, fall from it tomorrow, next day have grace again; and so follow on, changing continually.' But the doctrine of the scriptures and the spirit of Elijah would show them both false, and take a road between them both; for, according to the scripture, if men have received the good word of God, and tasted of the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, it is impossible to renew them again, seeing they have crucified the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame; so there is a possibility of falling away; you could not be renewed again, and the power of Elijah cannot seal against this sin, for this is a reserve made in the seals and power of the priesthood." (Teachings, pp. 338-339.) Thus, even though a man's calling and election has been made sure, if he then commits blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, he becomes a son of perdition, because when he was sealed up unto eternal life it was with a reservation. The sealing was not to apply in the case of the unpardonable sin.

As to the fact that the sealing power cannot seal a man up unto eternal life if he thereafter commits murder and thereby sheds innocent blood (not in this case the blood of Christ, but the blood of any person slain unlawfully and with malice) the Prophet says: "A murderer, for instance, one that sheds innocent blood, cannot have forgiveness. David sought repentance at the hand of God carefully with tears, for the murder of Uriah; but he could only get it through hell; he got a promise that his soul should not be left in hell.

"Although David was a king, he never did obtain the spirit and power of Elijah and the fullness of the priesthood; and the priesthood that he received, and the throne and kingdom of David is to be taken from him and given to another by the name of David in the last days, raised up out of his lineage." (Teachings, p. 339.) Thus, even though a man's calling and election has been made sure, if he then commits murder, all of the promises are of no effect, and he goes to a telestial kingdom (Rev. 21:8; D. & C. 76:103), because when he was sealed up unto eternal life, it was with a reservation. The sealing was not to apply in the case of murder.