Help A Sunday School Pres. With A Lesson

kroboz

Okay, I'm the Sunday School president for my family ward. I have to prepare a lesson by tomorrow for the Gospel Principles (New Member) class. The topic is Exaltation, Lesson 47. Problem is, I'm 18 and I don't have much experience with preparing lessons.

Anyone got any tips or links that will help with this particular lesson? I don't want to just read from the book.

Thanks a lot! :D

Originally posted by Jenda@Jul 10 2004, 08:43 PM

Maybe you should have posted this question a week ago instead of waiting till the last moment. :o

Very good Jenda. That was extremely helpful. Kroboz, what help do you need more than that?

Jenda, did you perhaps consider that the Sunday School President is often called to teach upon when others skip out on their lesson at the last minute??

Kroboz, here are my suggestions:

1. Read the lesson thouroughly.

2. While reading the lesson note the topics you think would be most important to discuss.

3. Once you have a list of topics, find the scripture passages which support those particular doctrines and become familiar with them.

4. Identify the passages in the lesson that you think would be best read in class.

5. Prepare a list of good questions that will elicit discussion concerning the selected topics.

6. Prepare an outline which will include reading of the passages from the manual, reading of scripture passages and you asking questions. Try to put together a logical progression of those three in your outline.

When you ask questions make sure that you give people time to think about the question. A good question will require people to think and may take 15 - 30 seconds to begin getting responses. Don't make the mistake of not waiting for somebody to respond right away. Avoid yes/no questions as much as you can. I hope this helps.

Two points to ponder. Through the atonement of Jesus Christ we can receive forgiveness of our sins. In the great plan of our G-d this a demonstration of his love and grace. But the atonement does one other thing - it makes it possible that we can also receive of the justice and blessings of G-d. This is known as exaltation. That we may be saved from sin in one important concept but we can also be blessed of G-d. But because G-d is just he can only give blessings to those that covenant with him and demonstrate their loyalty or obedience to the covenants.

Only by obedience to covenants can anyone be exalted. Therefore it is important to covenant - the first covenant is baptism - and be loyal to you covenants with G-d. I would also suggest that one consider tithing, the word of wisdom, keeping the Sabbath holy, and the use of G-d’s name and title all as part of their covenants. Therefore we should ask ourselves not what is okay or not okay to do on the Sabbath but rather - what are my covenants. What have I promised the L-rd?

You may even consider your lesson as part of your loyalty to your covenants and those that are in attendance of your class as a part of their loyalty to their covenants.

I wish you well in your efforts.

The Traveler

Guest JLHyde

Originally posted by kroboz@Jul 10 2004, 09:04 PM

Okay, I'm the Sunday School president for my family ward. I have to prepare a lesson by tomorrow for the Gospel Principles (New Member) class. The topic is Exaltation, Lesson 47. Problem is, I'm 18 and I don't have much experience with preparing lessons.

Anyone got any tips or links that will help with this particular lesson? I don't want to just read from the book.

Thanks a lot! :D

A second input, here:

I have to chuckle (good-naturedly) after reading your header:

Exaltation by tomorrow.

Well, did it happen? (Your exaltation, I mean)

Just ribbing you, good-naturedly.

Jenda is too serious, sometimes: it would do well to remind him to "lighten up", once in awhile.

(I'm sure that God, herself, has a sense of humor!)

(Just joking!)

Best advice to teachers: just stay loose! Avoid "formalism" and other rigid forms: Bod (I mean God) is not rigid!

Seacrest OUT!

Guest JLHyde

Originally posted by Traveler@Jul 16 2004, 10:21 PM

Two points to ponder.  Through the atonement of Jesus Christ we can receive forgiveness of our sins.  In the great plan of our G-d this a demonstration of his love and grace.  But the atonement does one other thing - it makes it possible that we can also receive of the justice and blessings of G-d.  This is known as exaltation.  That we may be saved from sin in one important concept but we can also be blessed of G-d.  But because G-d is just he can only give blessings to those that covenant with him and demonstrate their loyalty or obedience to the covenants.

Only by obedience to covenants can anyone be exalted.  Therefore it is important to covenant - the first covenant is baptism - and be loyal to you covenants with G-d.  I would also suggest that one consider tithing, the word of wisdom, keeping the Sabbath holy, and the use of G-d’s name and title all as part of their covenants.  Therefore we should ask ourselves not what is okay or not okay to do on the Sabbath but rather - what are my covenants.  What have I promised the L-rd?

You may even consider your lesson as part of your loyalty to your covenants and those that are in attendance of your class as a part of their loyalty to their covenants.

I wish you well in your efforts.

The Traveler

I cannot believe that there are so many ham-strung people in this here religion: you Utahns--one and all?--never cease to amaze (and amuse) me for using that should word all the time!

I mean, I know some of the General Authorities. And, I know that the some that I know use this dog-ugly word "should" a whole lot. And, I know that using that word "should" should be reserved for use by those men in the highest authority; because, it is only they who do well in getting the people to squirm by the former's use of the should-word: in addition, of course, to the other "squirm" words, like should-a;would-a; could-a and ought-a!

Their speech "betrayeth" them, as the Old Testament testifies!

(Caveat: You can take the speech out of the man, but one cannot take the dolt out of the now speechless fool!) In other words, correcting the "speech" will not correct the problem: it's not as simple as that! You can put a princess's clothes on a chimp, and that will not change the chimp in any way!

Don't you think so?

Atta boy!