Promptings to get our houses in order

inspire

Thank you to everyone. I have been putting away a little bit here and there and have been able to can some fruits, just lately though it has become like a nagging wife. I need to take inventory so that I know what I have and need. These are terribly exciting times but very scary times.

I did get a 72 hour emergency kit put together, it is stuffed inside a Rubbermaid garbage can, I might add it is a new garbage can. Maybe I will start a compost pile, if seasoned right can make a nice pate' to go with green jello. :lol: Ok I am just joking.

Concur....something the Lord allows us to see in the near future on what to expect.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch both Iran and North Korea in the coming two years....:)

If something B-I-G concerning Iran doesn't happen on or before October this year, I'll buy y'all an Otterpop! Just my opinion, of course, legal mumbo-schmumbo, etc. etc.

HiJolly

A great place to store food storage when you have little room are the following (I've done them all in the past):

1. Assign one room as a storage room, and build shelves, etc.

2. Assign the bottom 1/3 - 1/2 of all closets for storage only

3. Replace your box springs with a few boxes/containers of storage. Place your mattress on top.

4. Place cloth over your storage and make end tables, etc., out of them.

5. Move your couch about 2-3 feet out from the wall, and fill in the space with storage (then cover it with a cloth).

I have several plastic barrels of water (both 55 and 100 gallon). But I know that cannot be transported, if I need to leave in a hurry. A filled 55 gallon barrel weighs 800 pounds!

So I also have a portable filtration system. Found a great one that not only eliminates bacteria in the water, but also metals, chemicals, etc. It uses a Gravidyn filter (Katadyn brand), and the three filters are good for 6 months. They also have a Ceradyn filter for bacteria that will do up to 39,000 gallons.

Katadyn TRK Drip Water Filter (Gravidyn)

I had 2 that I got from someone at church but we moved and couldn't take it with us :(

Do you know if milk jugs will deteriorate over time? I love the water filter idea and have book marked the website, and my goodness, that is a great price too.

Adding to Ram's comment, plastic storage containers are probably one of the best materials for a beginner storage. The only side-effect that is notable over a period of time, they tend to degrade under UV light. So you want to make sure, if you're buying a material or an item that's made of plastic and it's going to be exposed to your lights for long periods of time, make sure the plastic is labeled "UV resistant" and use for water. Typically plastics are very resistant to any corrosion as long its place into the appropriate paltsic container. Now, some forms of plastic may over time become brittle but in general, the plastics manufactured with polyethylene, are sound and could be used for long term storage.

Most Milk containers [gallon version] are manufactured in using a 'High Density Polyethylene' (HDPE) and while most water containers are manufactured with 'Polyvinyl Chloride' (PVC). This is the same common used for plastic plumbing pipes, outdoor furniture, shrink wrap, salad dressing and liquid detergent containers and so on.

Some tidbits of chemical leaching: http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/03/29/plastic_water_bottles

Half gallon and gallon juice jugs are good too. Not the milk jug kind of juice that is refrigerated though.

Wash them with soapy water, rinse very well, then add a few drops of regular household bleach, add some warm water, swish around and pour on the lid as you empty the jug. Now fill with water. If you fill from your tap, you may not need to add a few drops of household bleach. If you filter your water, add a few drops of bleach.

Replace your water after 6 months. Use the water to wash your dishes - if you do them by hand. Dump them into your washing machine as it is filling with water for a load, or water your plants inside and/or outside.

Wash the jugs again and fill with water.