Were Adam And Eve Held Accountable?

broadway

1.) God didn't create Evil, right?

2.) God did create the tree of knowledge and put it on earth with our First Parents.

3.) God gave them free agency which they used to eat of the tree.

4.) They gained a knowledge of good and evil, making themselves accountable for their choices.

..................................................................................................................................................

Does that mean that they aren't held accountable for eating of the tree? Does that mean that God put an obstacle in their way that they were not properly prepared for?

Perhaps this may be why God felt it was fair to give them contradicting commandments,...it wouldn't matter because they wouldn't be held accountable for it anyways. But, they WERE held accountable, weren't they...they WERE cast out of the garden.

Interesting thoughts. What are yours on this issue?

Broadway

free agency came before they ate from the tree. and after all how do we know that the tree (litteral form) even existed? Perhaps "eating of the tree of good and evil" meant something other than plucking an apple (no actual fruit is named) from a tree? They were told what they could and couldn't do and they chose to do what they had been told not to do. This requires no knowledge of good and evil. When you were little and your parents told you to put your toys in their place you didn't need to know good and evil did you to accomplish this task?

And yes God did give them two commandments that they could not fulfill without falling. 1 multiply and replinish the earth. 2 don't eat from that darn tree! ;)

That was the beauty of it though because Satan 'knew not the mind of God' and in his attempt to bring the whole plan crashing down he actually helped start it in full force. :lol:

Originally posted by Setheus@Jul 22 2004, 06:45 AM

free agency came before they ate from the tree. and after all how do we know that the tree (litteral form) even existed? Perhaps "eating of the tree of good and evil" meant something other than plucking an apple (no actual fruit is named) from a tree? They were told what they could and couldn't do and they chose to do what they had been told not to do. This requires no knowledge of good and evil. When you were little and your parents told you to put your toys in their place you didn't need to know good and evil did you to accomplish this task?

And yes God did give them two commandments that they could not fulfill without falling. 1 multiply and replinish the earth. 2 don't eat from that darn tree! ;)

That was the beauty of it though because Satan 'knew not the mind of God' and in his attempt to bring the whole plan crashing down he actually helped start it in full force. :lol:

When I was little, sure I made the choice to disabey, but I wasn't held accountable.

James 4:17 "Therefore, to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin"

so, is it not sin, otherwise?

I always understood that the two commandments didn't actually conflict until Eve ate from the tree. At that point did the two commandments conflict. For eating from the tree Eve was surely going to be cast out and Adam and Eve would be seperated. Adam had to decide whether to eat of the tree so he could be cast out with Eve and multiply or he could not eat of the tree, but fail to multiply because he'd be seperated from Eve.

Originally posted by broadway+Jul 22 2004, 08:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (broadway @ Jul 22 2004, 08:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Setheus@Jul 22 2004, 06:45 AM

free agency came before they ate from the tree.  and after all how do we know that the tree (litteral form) even existed?  Perhaps "eating of the tree of good and evil" meant something other than plucking an apple (no actual fruit is named) from a tree?  They were told what they could and couldn't do and they chose to do what they had been told not to do.  This requires no knowledge of good and evil.  When you were little and your parents told you to put your toys in their place you didn't need to know good and evil did you to accomplish this task?

And yes God did give them two commandments that they could not fulfill without falling.  1 multiply and replinish the earth. 2 don't eat from that darn tree! ;)

When I was little, sure I made the choice to disabey, but I wasn't held accountable.

James 4:17 "Therefore, to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin"

so, is it not sin, otherwise?

sure you were. After all when you disobeyed you were told "No no!" or "stop that" or "I said pick up your toys, now" That is being held accountable. And for a very young child that is even punishment.