New

Rekhyt2238

Rekhyt2238,

I haven't read all of the posts here, I've just skimmed the last page. I wonder if you are not getting hung up in 2 Nephi and the Isaiah chapters. May I suggest the you try reading the BoM from Alma. Alma is a great starting place and he has a wonderful message for all who wish to know it. Anyways, this was a tought that came to me while I was skimming over these posts. Best wishes

Hello Rekhyt! I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with your ward disolving. :( Changes like that can be especially difficult, especially as a youth.

My testimony on Christ and Christianity came from God obviously. ;) On the body part, I don't know. On the Trinity, it is what I have always been taught, and it makes sense.

I'm curious about how you said the Trinity is what you've always been taught. Is your family new in the church, or were you born-and-raised LDS?

ETA: And I agree with starting the BoM after 2nd Nephi, maybe start in Mosiah, and try to read a few chapters at a time so that you can get the flow of the story. I find my Scripture reading (both Bible and BoM) is much more enriching when I give myself time to become immersed in a particular story-line, such as Alma and Amuleck, or Elijah and the Priests of Baal.

Rekhyt2238,

I haven't read all of the posts here, I've just skimmed the last page. I wonder if you are not getting hung up in 2 Nephi and the Isaiah chapters. May I suggest the you try reading the BoM from Alma. Alma is a great starting place and he has a wonderful message for all who wish to know it. Anyways, this was a tought that came to me while I was skimming over these posts. Best wishes

Thank you. When I try reading it again, I will start at that point.

I'm curious about how you said the Trinity is what you've always been taught. Is your family new in the church, or were you born-and-raised LDS?

We have been mormon for a few generations. That is what my parents, church teachers, and seminary teachers have always taught me. Is that not what the church teaches?... Maybe I have simply misunderstood them.

We don't believe in the trinity. We believe in the Godhead. God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are three separate beings. Father and Son have glorified bodies of flesh and bone. The Holy Ghost does not. His body is one of spirit matter.

This is one reason why Joseph Smith's first vision is so crucial to the LDS belief system. He saw God and Jesus standing separately and in bodily form, thus revealing the true nature of God.

Of course most of Christianity differs in their beliefs about the nature of God. The Trinity is one such belief and is found in many protestant belief systems and is basically the idea that the F, S, and HG are one person that changes form. So Jesus and the Father are seen as the same being.

Others I am sure can describe the Trinity better than I. I believe the origins of the Trinity doctrine comes from conclusions made by theologians at the Council of Nicea and is called the Nicean Creed.

And one thought about reading the book of Mormon. I really like the advice of UTcowboy. I wonder if you just read a few key doctrinal chapters or a few key bofm stories. The missionaries often have people read certain sections and kinda build from there. It might be less daunting than tackling the who thing at once.

The missionaries (at least they used to. I am revealing my age here. :) ) would recommend reading the Introduction to the book. It contains a brief description of what the book is and the story of the First Vision and the visit of the angel Moroni and how he appeared to Joseph and told him about the ancient record. You could then read 3 Nephi 11 where Christ comes to America and perhaps the last chapter of Moroni.

We don't believe in the trinity. We believe in the Godhead. God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are three separate beings. Father and Son have glorified bodies of flesh and bone. The Holy Ghost does not. His body is one of spirit matter.

This is one reason why Joseph Smith's first vision is so crucial to the LDS belief system. He saw God and Jesus standing separately and in bodily form, thus revealing the true nature of God.

Of course most of Christianity differs in their beliefs about the nature of God. The Trinity is one such belief and is found in many protestant belief systems and is basically the idea that the F, S, and HG are one person that changes form. So Jesus and the Father are seen as the same being.

Others I am sure can describe the Trinity better than I. I believe the origins of the Trinity doctrine comes from conclusions made by theologians at the Council of Nicea and is called the Nicean Creed.

Interesting. I think the trinity is what I have always been taught, but I may have just been misunderstanding them the whole time.

I am finally back to reply on what you could be doing along with your praying. Many of these have already been mentioned. First, be praying about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon but you must also be diligently reading it. You also may find answers to other questions you have as you read. You could even study the scriptures by topic such as faith or whatever else may help. Talking to your bishop may help. Reading talks in the Ensign or at lds.org may help. Try attending church again, without the expectation of socialness, go to feel the spirit and try not to focus on how people interact with you but on what you get out of the messages spoken. You may even try to go to another ward besides your own to have a low key first experience back but I wouldn't make it a long term habit - going to your home ward is always best. You could sign up for one more year of seminary and try to have a very open mind. Try reading the book, True to the Faith, you can get it at the Distribution Center online or at an actual store. It has a lot of good info about the Gospel and may help clarify things like the Godhead or other questions you may have. Basically, just keep acting and doing things that will answer questions, clarify things, etc. If you just pray it is harder to find answers, many times your answers will come while reading the scriptures, while reading a talk, while attending a meeting, etc. Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any more questions. Good Luck with all!

going to your home ward is always best.

Why?...I have always been curious about this. As far as I know, this is the only church that wants to control which ward/Parish/etc you attend. All the other ones I know of are simply happy you are going, regardless of when or which building.

You could sign up for one more year of seminary and try to have a very open mind.

Unfortunately even if I wanted to, I do not have room in my school schedule. I'm already behind 2.5 credits because of seminary. I also have so many AP classes(I have three periods for AP Chemistry alone!), internships, etc that I simply do not have room for it. If it was really making an improvement in my faith, I would never have dropped it in the first place. And--I'm simply stating my experience here, not being rude--most seminary teachers are really bad. I know they try hard, mean well, and some are the nicest people, but they still are not very good. They are wonderful people, but still....

QUOTE: Why?...I have always been curious about this. As far as I know, this is the only church that wants to control which ward/Parish/etc you attend. All the other ones I know of are simply happy you are going, regardless of when or which building.

Well, there are a few reasons that I am aware of but I am not an expert on this. One is that your church records are in that ward therefore you can have a calling there, etc. Also, the bishop in your home ward has the ability to receive revelation for those he is over. Just like the prophet receives revelation for the entire church or a father for his family. Those are just a few that I know of.

In response to seminary, I grew up in Utah as well and I am pretty sure that seminary is just part of the curriculum meaning if you don't take it you are getting extra credits and if you do it doesn't mean that you lose out on credits. Secondly, I know that most schools offer an early morning class for students in your situation. Some even offer summer classes that happen only once a week. I think it would be worth a shot. This next year is the New Testament and so you would be learning a lot about Christ's life. Once again, try focusing on the things you could learn there not on how the teacher's teach. The scriptures should be the real teacher.

Once again answers will come more readily when you act. Sorry I am probably banging that idea into the ground but I think it is crucial. Any more questions...shoot them my way or better yet missionaries or your bishop could be a very good route.

In response to seminary, I grew up in Utah as well and I am pretty sure that seminary is just part of the curriculum meaning if you don't take it you are getting extra credits and if you do it doesn't mean that you lose out on credits. Secondly, I know that most schools offer an early morning class for students in your situation. Some even offer summer classes that happen only once a week. I think it would be worth a shot. This next year is the New Testament and so you would be learning a lot about Christ's life. Once again, try focusing on the things you could learn there not on how the teacher's teach. The scriptures should be the real teacher.

Seminary is not part of the curriculum. On my transcript, it shows a big zero for credit under seminary. I have friends that because they did not take it, are about 2.5 credits in front of me. Yes, you can graduate with seminary, but you are pretty much scraping up credits until the very end. Early morning seminary?...I'm sorry, but I already wake up at five am just to get to school on time. I can't wake up much earlier than that. Also, if it doesn't matter how badly the teachers teach, then why can't I just study the bible on my own?

I am sorry I didn't mean to strike the wrong chord. You are right about it not giving you any credit but I was able to get plenty of credits to graduate without any problem. I don't know. I guess I just have fond memories of seminary. It taught me a lot. I remeber having a teacher that everyone referred to as "boring", although I could see where they were coming from I still gleaned a lot from the class and enjoyed it. Maybe I have too optimistic of a view but I felt that seminary was a wonderful boost to school days that were sometimes filled with much gunk (bad language in the hallways, etc.). About studying it on your own - with seminary you are supposed to do a lot of scripture reading on your own the teacher is there to help clarify and deepen your understanding. There can be things that are hard to understand or are misunderstood about the scriptures or what our church believes in general and seminary teachers are there to help. Sorry I didn't mean to go on and on I guess I just have a love for my seminary experience. Anyway, good luck in all of your other endeavors. Read, Pray, and Ponder.

Oh and what time does your school start? That is crazy that you already get up that early.

I'm just curious, when did you graduate? They have probably raised the graduation requirements. I know between when I graduate('09) and my brother('12), they are raising the requirements a couple credits.

I wish I had as nice of experience in seminary as you did. I liked two out of my five teachers, and only one of them was any good at teaching.

Oh and what time does your school start? That is crazy that you already get up that early.

Seven-thirty, though I have to be leaving my house at seven at the absolute latest. I have about a twenty minute drive, which includes passing another high school...lol Screwed up boundaries...

I just wanted to write back and wish you good luck in all of your endeavors to come to know the truth for yourself. The Gospel is true. The Book of Mormon is true. Joseph Smith truly did translate the book and restored the Gospel to the Earth. President Thomas S. Monson is a living prophet who guides us today . Jesus Christ lives and He atoned for us so that we could make it back to Him and our Father in Heaven. Heavenly Father is real and he does answer our prayers. The Holy Ghost helps us to hear those answers and guides us to make correct choices. I just wanted to bear this testimony to you. Again, good luck with all and write with any more questions.