A Question

jeffreylees

So, I'm a only-in-a-Baptist-family member, of about a year and a half, I'm about 21, married, and just called to be my branch's Executive Secretary. I've got a daughter on the way and am in college, etc.

My wife's grandfather wishes me to join the local Masonic Lodge. I know that a decent amount of LDS men go to Lodge, as do a lot of other Christians. But I also hear that it's anti-Christian in some ways.

What do you all think? Is it a good idea? I know that it's a good social step, especially around here, as far as jobs and 'strings' go. But is it doctrinally ok, and does it take huge amounts of time?

Thanks

Jeff S

So, I'm a only-in-a-Baptist-family member, of about a year and a half, I'm about 21, married, and just called to be my branch's Executive Secretary. I've got a daughter on the way and am in college, etc.

I remember those days... Busy, but it's what life is all about.

My wife's grandfather wishes me to join the local Masonic Lodge. I know that a decent amount of LDS men go to Lodge, as do a lot of other Christians. But I also hear that it's anti-Christian in some ways.

Not anti-Christian, but equally open to all religions. ANY religion. That's a good thing. Got any specific examples? Due to certain Illinois difficulties in the 1840's, the Utah LDS Church and Utah freemasons didn't get along for many years. They buried the hatchet back in the 1970's or 80's. All is well now.

What do you all think? Is it a good idea? I know that it's a good social step, especially around here, as far as jobs and 'strings' go. But is it doctrinally ok, and does it take huge amounts of time?

I am a member of the Scottish Rite Research Society, but am not a 'Blue Lodge' Freemason. I think if you want brotherly friendship, and are willing to give aid and not only receive aid, then you ought to go for it.

Here's an interesting .PDF on Joseph Smith and the three grand fundamental principles: http://www.sunstoneonline.com/magazine/issues/141/141-32-41.pdf

It seems that back in the 1800's many Freemasons did a lot of studying about mystical or 'secret' teachings, and today most Freemasons don't give a fig for that stuff. If your testimony is strong and the Spirit is with you, I think you might find it beneficial to study up on the esoterics. That has been my path. You might have to search about a bit for someone who is like minded, though. I think joining the York rite would be helpful, though I know some Freemasons that did both the York and the Scottish, and benefitted.

Follow the spirit.

HiJolly

For me, there is no conflict between being a Freemason and being a member of the LDS Church.

It is my understanding that the LDS Church position expresses that it has no quarrel with Freemasonry or any other organization formed for righteous purposes. It does caution its members against joining secret oath bound organizations or groups that would take such time as to prevent a member from performing his Church duties. If you serve in leadership positions in either organization, this can be an issue.

Now, simply because membership in the Masonic fraternity is not a problem for me as an individual, does not mean it is right for you as an individual. Further, our first loyalty is to the Church. We must ensure that our community/fraternal activities do not affect our Church callings. Should family members have concerns regarding the fraternity, our relationship with them is far more important than any fraternal group.

You should not join the Fraternity for financial gain. Indeed, in many jurisdictions you specifically state you are not doing so. Should you do so, you will likely find disappointment.

G.A. Cook