What Do You All Think About This?

Amillia

Originally posted by shanstress70@Sep 10 2004, 12:07 PM

Oh come on! No decorating cars with a 'just married' poster? Way to take the fun out of something.

Someone needs to pull the stick out!

Us Mormons believe that the Temple is a Sacred edifice where sacred covenants are made with God. Actions and/or an attitude of reverence on what we believe to be holy ground is hardly being a stick-in-the-mud. IF you have a problem with it, nobody is forcing you (you in the general sense) to be there. Hopefully you (again in the general sense) will have a enough respect for the beliefs of others to respect their wishes.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kevin+Sep 10 2004, 08:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kevin @ Sep 10 2004, 08:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--shanstress70@Sep 10 2004, 12:07 PM

Oh come on!  No decorating cars with a 'just married' poster?  Way to take the fun out of something.

Someone needs to pull the stick out!

Us Mormons believe that the Temple is a Sacred edifice where sacred covenants are made with God. Actions and/or an attitude of reverence on what we believe to be holy ground is hardly being a stick-in-the-mud. IF you have a problem with it, nobody is forcing you (you in the general sense) to be there. Hopefully you (again in the general sense) will have a enough respect for the beliefs of others to respect their wishes.

I know what 'you Mormons' believe, as I was one myself.

I guarantee you that Jesus wouldn't have a problem with a little celebrating when two people choose to spend their lives/eternity together.

AND I guarantee you that there are Mormons who wish they could participate in a little celebration.

But yeah, I guess it's disrespectful to have a poster that reads, 'Just Married' on your car. ;)

Originally posted by Kevin@Sep 10 2004, 06:03 PM

If this rule (decorating wedding cars) is so well known why didn't anyone say something. No one ever told us we weren't allowed to decorate the car while we waited. I'm pretty sure no one even knew it was against the rules.

M

Originally posted by shanstress70@Sep 10 2004, 06:32 PM

I guarantee you that Jesus wouldn't have a problem with a little celebrating when two people choose to spend their lives/eternity together.

AND I guarantee you that there are Mormons who wish they could participate in a little celebration.

But yeah, I guess it's disrespectful to have a poster that reads, 'Just Married' on your car. ;)

Tell us more about this guarantee. How is it that you are privy to the mind and will of Christ?

Originally posted by Snow+Sep 12 2004, 08:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Sep 12 2004, 08:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--shanstress70@Sep 10 2004, 06:32 PM

But yeah, I guess it's disrespectful to have a poster that reads, 'Just Married' on your car.  ;)

Tell us more about this guarantee. How is it that you are privy to the mind and will of Christ?

Yes, good question. Please share Shantress.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Snow@Sep 12 2004, 08:04 AM

How is it that you are privy to the mind and will of Christ?

I imagine she's refering the example of the wedding in Cana where Jesus turned the water to wine. Even the devout Jews enjoyed celebrating a wedding in drunken bliss--for an entire week! I think it's a sensible conclusion that Jesus approves of celebrating.

The supposition being that tying tin cans to your bumper and globing your windows with shaving cream and parking it all close to the temple is analogous to providing wine at a Jewish wedding.

Sorry -- don't buy it. But what about the guarantee part. If she is wrong do we get our tithing money back?

It seems to me that a little sign that reads "just married" is probably not the problem ... however, having cans dragging, and shaving cream all over the car is just a bit tacky in light of the sacred covenants made in the temple. They aren't saying "don't go out an celebrate afterwards" they are just saying, IMO, to respect the sacred moment and the sacred place where you have just made eternal ties... leave the grounds with dignity. I'm not sure they really care, within reason of course, what you do afterwards ... what's the problem with decorating the car as you leave the reception ???

Shantress< "I know what 'you Mormons' believe, as I was one myself."

Shantress, just because you have been a member does not mean you understand what we believe ... I'm not saying that you, personally, do not but there are many people in and out of the church who totally misunderstand the doctrine of the LDS church so having been a member at one time is not a credential of truth.

Originally posted by Snow@Sep 12 2004, 07:59 PM

The supposition being that tying tin cans to your bumper and globing your windows with shaving cream and parking it all close to the temple is analogous to providing wine at a Jewish wedding.

Sorry -- don't buy it. But what about the guarantee part. If she is wrong do we get our tithing money back?

Hence I said, "...a poster that reads, 'Just Married' on your car." I wasn't speaking of cans, shaving cream, etc.

And sorry about the 'guarantee' statement. I guess everything is taken literally here. Didn't know hyperboles aren't allowed here.

Just like you guys have your beliefs, I have mine. I tend to believe that Jesus/God has a sense of humor and likes people to celebrate and be happy - especially when two people join together in marriage!

Originally posted by shanstress70@Sep 13 2004, 04:01 AM

And sorry about the 'guarantee' statement. I guess everything is taken literally here. Didn't know hyperboles aren't allowed here.

No problem - I just took it as an open invitation to say something snide. I always appreciate the opening.

shan i agree, however..there's a time and a place for everything...in all the weddings i've been to (civily), the hooplah and celebration doesn't take place until after the reception...the church grounds are respected by not trashing the grounds w/ confetti/shaving cream/etc...

although: it's funny that most LDS receptions are at LDS church buildings...hmmm...lol

i think it's a matter of respect for the holiness and sanctity of the temple, not whether we're allowed to celebrate an eternal union...just as one is not allowed to take cameras into a chapel and videotape a sacrament meeting...it's about respect for things sacred...

Unless a young man or woman are going on a mission or are getting married, they are not allowed to take their endowments until they are in their late twenties.

I'd like to chime in and say that when my Bishop learned I was desirous to join the Army that he met with me and explained that he would like me to get my Endowments before I went, as I'm 20 either my Bishop is out of the loop, or the quoted statement is incorrect.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Snow@Sep 12 2004, 05:59 PM

Well, last time I checked our doctrines, decorating cars wasn't considered a sin but wine consumption was. I think it's very reasonable that the church doesn't want people decorating cars that are on temple property. I think it's a stretch to extend that to cars parked "near" the temple though.

BTW: are guests allowed to throw birdseed instead of rice? It's actually against many city ordinances to throw rice at weddings anyway.

Originally posted by Snow@Sep 12 2004, 05:59 PM

The supposition being that tying tin cans to your bumper and globing your windows with shaving cream...

Now that may explain it. The difference between the tacky "American" wedding car decorations as compared to the sophisticated "Canadian" style of decorating a wedding car with flowers. Makes sense. ;)

M.

Originally posted by Maureen+Sep 15 2004, 01:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Sep 15 2004, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Sep 12 2004, 05:59 PM

The supposition being that tying tin cans to your bumper and globing your windows with shaving cream...

Now that may explain it. The difference between the tacky "American" wedding car decorations as compared to the sophisticated "Canadian" style of decorating a wedding car with flowers. Makes sense. ;)

M.

I couldn't agree more. Tacky, tacky tacky.

Guest curvette
Originally posted by Maureen+Sep 15 2004, 01:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Sep 15 2004, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Sep 12 2004, 05:59 PM

M.

And then there's the "Steel Magnolias" tradition of decorating cars with inflated condoms...