Life Outside of Utah

Guest bren1975

If you don't mind me asking LM, why are you glad you left Utah? Was there something in the Jello? J/K. Seriously I would really like to know.

Naw, I think I actually made and ate jello with carrot strips in it once, just to see what it was like.

We're glad we left Utah because of all my wife's baggage there. It's really bad baggage. Nothing really specific to Utah or Mormons, only that all the bad guys were outwardly observant LDS, and ravening wolves behind closed doors. It's the kind of baggage that removes testimonies from people who lived through it. My wife keeps hers with a healthy dose of distance between us and Utah.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Naw, I think I actually made and ate jello with carrot strips in it once, just to see what it was like.

We're glad we left Utah because of all my wife's baggage there. It's really bad baggage. Nothing really specific to Utah or Mormons, only that all the bad guys were outwardly observant LDS, and ravening wolves behind closed doors. It's the kind of baggage that removes testimonies from people who lived through it. My wife keeps hers with a healthy dose of distance between us and Utah.

LM

I'm not so sure about calling Utah a "healthy dose of distance" ;)

As the election draws near, I am struck with another frustrating thought about the overly-high concentration of conservative LDS in Utah/Idaho. We need those votes elsewhere! Utah/Idaho is strongly conservative, so many of those votes are useless, in a national election due to the electoral college. We need more voting power in pretty much every other state. We need the conservative LDS vote to strengthen in California where they're fighting for Prop. 8. We need it on the "left" coast. We need it in the Northeast.

Come on, we need you out here!

I'm not so sure about calling Utah a "healthy dose of distance" ;)

Whoops - let me clarify. I'm not calling Utah that. I'm saying that we live 663.8 miles away from bad people who happen to live in Utah, and those miles are the healthy dose of distance I'm talking about.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Whoops - let me clarify. I'm not calling Utah that. I'm saying that we live 663.8 miles away from bad people who happen to live in Utah, and those miles are the healthy dose of distance I'm talking about.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

I'm sorry, I wrote that much to early in the morning. I meant to say that I'm not sure we can call COLORADO a healthy distance from Utah. They do share a border after all.

But yes, I do understand what you were getting at. Sorry for my blunder.

As the election draws near, I am struck with another frustrating thought about the overly-high concentration of conservative LDS in Utah/Idaho. We need those votes elsewhere! Utah/Idaho is strongly conservative, so many of those votes are useless, in a national election due to the electoral college. We need more voting power in pretty much every other state. We need the conservative LDS vote to strengthen in California where they're fighting for Prop. 8. We need it on the "left" coast. We need it in the Northeast.

Come on, we need you out here!

Or is it that we need a stronger presence of liberal voters in Utah/Idaho?

I know this thread is very old, but seems to be getting more activity. I'll add some thoughts.

I grew up in Orem and was never tested in my testimony building. While it was fun to have great skiing and water sports, I led quite a wayward lifestyle in highschool along side many of my priest and laurel friends. There was so much grey going on between the black and white it was amazing.

My folks never did anything with "friends". It was all about the family we have in the area, which we have in great abundance. I concur with those who mention doing things with family and not really developing friends.

I moved away and have never looked back. I come back on a fairly regular basis. I can't stand being here. It is haughty and all social events are built around family, or ward. I went skiing last winter with a guy from here. As we would ride up the lifts with complete strangers, he'd ask where they were from and if they were Mormon. This was at Park City. I'm guessing, but I'll estimate that <5% of the people skiing that day were members. The church simply enters the realm of every conversation, and unless you toe the party line, get out of town.

I'm glad I left. I would never move back. The attitude of the people (especially Utah County) far outweighs the positives of weather, the mountains, the economy. I'm so glad I left.

And. now that I'm going. What is the deal with the left hand turns on a red light??? The light turns red and 3-4 more cars figure they can make it through.... What is that about? This deserves a thread all on its own.