I saw the thread asking about how to address prayer, and I got to thinking...

(excuse my ignorance please!)

Is there a proper way to pray in terms of the "content" of the prayer?

What I mean is...for example...is there a proper way to give a blessing before a meal? A proper content for family prayers, etc?

For example, is it "proper" to thank Heavenly Father first before asking for his help with things?

Is this addressed in scripture?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask...lol.

Thanks!

:)

Hi there I've been doing a lot of study in the last few months into this very topic and my conclusions are as follows:

• We should always be reverant to our Heavenly Father
  • If we are praying in public or for a group of people we should use "thee", "thou" and "thine" etc if we speak English, however these don't always translate into other languages.
  • Personal prayer is exactly that, personal, and can be like we are talking to our best friend, our dad, which of course we are.
  • I don't think there's any 'wrong' way to pray, and Heavenly Father is probably just happy that we are talking to Him at all!
:cool: A

Prayer is asking God or Praising God or Thanking God-at least for me that is what Prayer means as a Catholic Christian.

It is not the exact words that are as important as my reverent attitude and sincerity.

Jesus is our example with The Lord's Prayer-I use that prayer often.

I like to kneel in prayer when possible-to show my reverant attitude and focus on what I am saying and feeling. I am also open to God's response.

Prayer can be a community of faith event also-and with that go with the dictates of your faith commmunity.

-Carol

I would read the links to those conference talks.

Publicly, I think there is a proper way to pray. We address our Father in Heaven. We thank Him for our blessings. We ask Him for what we (or others) stand in need of. We close in the name of Jesus Christ.

Privately, any thougths directed "heavenward" are proper, in any order, about any issue. Deep honesty is the key.

I have heard it said that prayer is not to inform God of our wants and needs. That makes sense. He already knows everything before we speak. The purpose of prayer then becomes to discover and align ourselves with His will for us. For me, my prayers are focused on pleading for safety and strength to withstand the temptations of the adversary -- particularly with the commandments He has revealed to me that I struggle with keeping.

Sometimes my prayer is a heart-felt cry unto the Lord that is very short, like "I find myself in a situation that makes me feel I am in danger...please help me get out of this situation." Then I do MY part...which is to focus on the Lord. Often I find myself humming "More Holiness Give Me" -- this song helps my mind to change focus and gives me the ability to flee the situation. I am so thankful to my Jesus for the protection He extends to me each day.

I would say to follow the pattern of The Lord's Prayer. Not the words but the pattern.

Addresses Father in Heaven

Gives thanks first

Asks for needs next.

I think it would be selfish in pattern to ask, ask, ask and then give thanks. I would hope that our thanks exceeds our wants or needs.

Often my prayers are only prayers of thanks.

Ben Raines

I know that in the church, we are generally encouraged to use the words, Thee, Thou, and Thy. However, I've not really been able to figure out why.

Recently there was a VERY good blog about this over at Mormon Matters that was just excellent. Of Thee’s and Thou’s at Mormon Matters

I highly encourage a look at it to get more understanding of the various things around our language of prayer.