TODAY IN CHURCH HISTORY: November

Hemidakota

TODAY IN CHURCH HISTORY: 01 November

1808 - John Taylor, third President of the Church, is born in Milnthorpe, England.

1831 - The Prophet Joseph Smith received the revelation known as Doctrine and Covenants 1, also known as the "Lord's Preface" to the Doctrine and Covenants. It declares a voice of warning to all people, the calling of Joseph Smith as a Prophet to restore the truth to the earth, the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, and a commandment to search and study the revelations contained in the Doctrine and Covenants. (History of the Church, 1:221-224)

1833 - The mobs began to harass the Saints living in Independence, Missouri. Several businesses owned by members of the Church were broken into with merchandise thrown into the street. Windows were broken and buildings partially destroyed. Homes also had damage done as long poles were thrust through the shutters and sash into rooms of defenseless women and children. (History of the Church, 1:426-429)

1838 - Near midnight, General Samuel Lucus holds a court martial and orders General Alexander Doniphan to execute the Prophet Joseph Smith and other leaders of the Church in the public square of Far West, Missouri this morning. General Doniphan refuses stating, "It is cold-blooded murder. I will not obey your order. My brigade shall march for Liberty tomorrow morning, at 8 o'clock; and if you execute these men, I will hold you responsible before an earthly tribunal, so help me God." General Lucus reconsiders and lifts the order to execute the Prophet and others. The militia enters Far West and began to plunder houses, injuring several people and leaving many destitute. They entered into the Prophets home, drove his family out and then carried away most of his property. They then demanded the Saints give up all their arms, forced some to sign over their property to pay the expenses of the militia-mob, raped several women, took more prisoners, and then ordered them to leave the State of Missouri. (History of the Church, 3:190-192)

1839 - The Prophet Joseph and other leaders of the Church left Quincy, Illinois, and continued on their journey towards Washington D. C. to seek redress for the wrongs of Missouri.

1842 - The Prophet Joseph spent some time with his wife Emma, taking her on a ride to the Temple "for the benefit of her health." She had been ill for several days. In the afternoon he visited Dr. Willard Richards, who was very ill and staying at Wilford Woodruffs. Later in the day, the Prophet along with three of his children and William Clayton, were riding in a carriage to his farm outside of Nauvoo when it overturned, throwing the Prophet some distance and nearly rolling on top of the three children. The Prophet records it was a miracle that no one was seriously hurt and that his son Frederick had the worst injury, a bruised cheek. In the evening he rode with two of his children to the Temple site. (History of the Church, 5:182-183)

1851 - Elder John Taylor begins publication of Zion's Panier in Germany.

1853 - George D. Watts releases the first issue of the Journal of Discourses in England with an introduction by the First Presidency.

1993 - Church member Richard A. Searfoss successfully lands the space shuttle Columbia after a fourteen-day voyage, the shuttle's longest flight to date.

1997 - On or near this date, the Church membership reaches ten million.

1999 - Church member Jane Clayson, a BYU graduate in broadcasting and communications, becomes a co-host of the Early Show on CBS television.

Edited by Gwen

1831 - The Prophet Joseph Smith receives the revelation known at Doctrine and Covenants 67. It challenges the wisest person to duplicate the least of the revelations through the Prophet Joseph Smith and declares that if they would be faithful they would see that face of God. After this revelation was received, Joseph writes that William E. McLellin, "as the wisest man, in his own estimation, having more learning than sense, endeavored to write a commandment like unto one of the least of the Lord's, but failed . . . The Elders and all present that witnessed this vain attempt of a man to imitate the language of Jesus Christ, renewed their faith in the fulness of the Gospel, and in the truth of the commandments and revelations which the Lord had given to the Church through my instrumentality." Those present then wrote a testimony of the truthfulness of the revelations contained in this book of scripture in obedience to the this revelation. (History of the Church, 1:226).

1836 - The Brethren at Kirtland, Ohio, draw up articles of agreement preparatory to organizing a banking institution that will later be known as the Kirtland Safety Society. Oliver Cowdery is sent to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to procure plates to engrave the money, and Orson Hyde is sent to Columbus, Ohio, to petition the state legislature for a charter. (History of the Church, 2:467)

1838 - At Far West, Missouri, the Saints sign away their property to pay for the cost of the "Mormon War." After a brief visit with their families, Joseph Smith and his fellow prisoners, Sidney Rigdon, Hyrum Smith, Parley P. Pratt, Lyman Wight, Amasa Lyman, and George W. Robinson, begin their journey under guard to Independence, Missouri, for trial. (History of the Church, 3:192-195)

1843 - The Prophet Joseph Smith and some of the brethren agree to write to five of the leading candidates for the Presidency of the United States to inquire "what their course of action would be in relation to the cruelty and oppression that we have suffered from the State of Missouri, if they were elected." (History of the Church, 6:63)

1851 - Elders John Murdock and Charles W. Wandell hold the first Church meeting in Sydney, Australia.

1966 - Elder Gordon B. Hinckley dedicates Thailand for the preaching of the gospel in Bangkok's Lumpini Park.

1996 - The Church announces the formation of Latter-day Saint Charities, an entity created to deliver humanitarian aid to individuals and nations throughout the world. Also, the Church releases a 160-page book entitled Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, emphasizing "the spiritual legacy of all members."

1997 - The Vernal Utah Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley.

1831 - The Prophet Joseph Smith receives the revelation known at Doctrine and Covenants 67. It challenges the wisest person to duplicate the least of the revelations through the Prophet Joseph Smith and declares that if they would be faithful they would see that face of God. After this revelation was received, Joseph writes that William E. McLellin, "as the wisest man, in his own estimation, having more learning than sense, endeavored to write a commandment like unto one of the least of the Lord's, but failed . . . The Elders and all present that witnessed this vain attempt of a man to imitate the language of Jesus Christ, renewed their faith in the fulness of the Gospel, and in the truth of the commandments and revelations which the Lord had given to the Church through my instrumentality." Those present then wrote a testimony of the truthfulness of the revelations contained in this book of scripture in obedience to the this revelation. (History of the Church, 1:226).

The Koran includes the same challenge to prove it is inspired. Sura 10:38-39:

"This Koran could not have been forged apart from God; but it is a confirmation of what is before it, and a distinguishing of the Book, wherein is no doubt, from the Lord of all Being. Or do they say, 'Why, he has forged it'? Say: 'Then produce a sura [scripture] like it, and call on whom you can, apart from God, if you speak truly.'"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elphaba

Being a person who tested Moroni words literally, in asking GOD, what church belongs to Him and was Joseph Smith His called prophet. Can a Muslim have a visitation of Allah and then prove Koran is the only works? Not likely! Unless you planned to meet him in a cave and calls himself Gabriel. I have yet, to meet anyone who can testify to that level as I have given.

Also, knowing the words were uttered from Mohammed, the clerics did the writing and reading for this man. He had serious limitation with writing and reading. Sounds similar?

Now, have you read the entire Koran?

1831 - The Prophet Joseph Smith receives the revelations known as Doctrine and Covenants 68 and 133 during a conference held at Hiram, Ohio. Section 68 talks about the true nature of revelation, the powers of the Aaronic Priesthood, and the responsibilities of parents to their children. Section 133 first was published as the appendix to the 1833 Book of Commandments and contains teachings concerning the Second Coming of the Savior. (History of the Church, 1:226-234)

1835 - The Prophet Joseph receives a revelation calling the members of the Twelve Apostles to humble themselves and repent because of the contention between some of the members of that Quorum. He also opened the Elder's school and "dedicated the school in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ." (History of the Church, 2:301)

1838 - The Prophet Joseph, and the other prisoners with him, arrived at the Missouri River and were "hurried across the ferry" into Jackson County. During the march south the Prophet told the other prisoners "in a low, but cheerful and confidential tone; said he: 'Be of good cheer, brethren, the word of the Lord came to me last night that our lives should be given us, and that whatever we may suffer during this captivity, not one of our lives shall be taken'" (History of the Church, 3:200).

1843 - Knowlton F. Hanks dies at sea while on a mission to the Pacific Islands. He is the first Latter-day Saint missionary buried at sea.

1896 - Martha Hughs Cannon wins a seat in the Utah State Senate, becoming the first women in the United States to be elected to a state senate.

1945 - President George Albert Smith meets with U.S. President Harry S. Truman in Washington, D.C., to obtain permission for the Church to send food and supplies to the Saints in War-torn Europe.

1972 - The Mormon Battalion Visitor's Center opens in San Diego, California, overlooking the historic Old Town.

1975 - Lieutenant General Brent Scowcroft is appointed by U.S. President Gerald Ford as his national security affairs advisor (NSA). He is the first Latter-day Saint to serve in this top government position. He serves again in this position under U.S. President George Bush.

1992 - Olene Walker is elected as Lieutenant Governor of Utah, the highest state political position obtained by an LDS woman in the United States. She would later (2003) become the first women governor of Utah when Mike Leavitt left the governorship to become a member of President George W. Bush's cabinet as Secretary of the EPA.

1996 - The Kinshasa Zaire Stake, the first stake in the Democratic Republic of Congo is organized.

Being a person who tested Moroni words literally, in asking GOD, what church belongs to Him and was Joseph Smith His called prophet. Can a Muslim have a visitation of Allah and then prove Koran is the only works? Not likely! Unless you planned to meet him in a cave and calls himself Gabriel.

So God only visits people outdoors?

If Allah were truly God, then of course a muslim could have a visitation by Allah, whether in a cave or in a grove. I think that is the silliest argument I've ever heard to prove God visited Joseph, but not anyone else.

I have yet, to meet anyone who can testify to that level as I have given.

Then you haven't looked around very much. People of all religions testify, to the level you do, their belief in that religion.

Also, knowing the words were uttered from Mohammed, the clerics did the writing and reading for this man. He had serious limitation with writing and reading. Sounds similar?

Joseph did not have "serious" limitations with writing and reading. He was technically uneducated, but had a brilliant, inquisitive mind, and expressed himself very well.

Plus, I don't undertand the point. You're saying because Mohammad used scribes, and Joseph did the same . . . what?

Now, have you read the entire Koran?

No, I have not.

Have you? Did you take the Koran's test with the same faith you took the BoM's test? Because if you did, and you did not receive a powerful answer the Koran is the true book of God, I'll introduce you to millions of Muslims who will say your experience was not valid, because their confirmations were much more powerful than yours.

Perspective, Hemi.

Elphaba

I guess ignorance is bliss here.

When ever a prophet is called by the Creator, is it done in a cave Elpha? What pattern did He give us from the OT, NT, even in our current day with Joseph Smith? Did Allah show HIMSELF to Mohammad? No! Who was this claimed angel, who called Mohammed to be a prophet? It was not Noah or Gabriel. Did he test the spirit on his authentic authorship? No! Did he ever seen Allah in the flesh? No! Not even when he witnessed his ascension into the seven heavens by Enoch. Getting back to this cave issue, did you ever attend a endowment session and note, what becomes of Lucifer after he is told to depart?

We can testify of our beliefs that are ingrained by our parental teachings. We can testify our faith based on others faith. We can testify based on reading a book. But what is faith, comparing to knowledge? There are not the same. One believes and one sees with his/her own physical [spiritual] eyes. Joseph received a visitation, which follows the same method of those who are called to open a dispensation.

Testifying - Elpha, this is where I have to correct you. Only a handful people stretch across this world, matches the same testimony of Joseph Smith. Like Abraham, I had that same desire to know for myself, whether or not GOD exists, whether or not this church was the only true church that is authorized, whether or not Joseph Smith is His called prophet. Receiving those answers directly from the Godhead only happens when the Holy Ghost presents you before the Godhead. The heavens are thus opened to that member who is called. Show me someone with that level of testimony in Muslim religion? Show me anyone that is called a Christian. Not going to happen. There is boundary set after Joseph visitation, Savior made mentioned in the D&C, no man or woman will see GOD face-to-face after receiving the eternal covenants. I have yet met anyone prior to this, witnessed the Godhead before receiving these endowments.

Joseph education: that is because he strive to be a learneth person. I would think, your caliber of researching abilities would know that one. Yes! Joseph used scribes to the end of his life. It was a weakness that is often seen with those who are considered the great ones.

Yes, I have read Koran and testify, it is not the work of GOD. I do have a copy of the Koran on my desk.

I can testify that there is one belief, one Savior, one Godhead, which lives as we live. As I can testify, that Joseph Smith was indeed the only one to open this dispensation and no other was called. I can testify, He can talk and walk with His chosen people. We cannot choose Him but it is the Holy Ghost that allow us the opportunity to be chosen by Him.

For me, I wish I could be more vocal to you and only want the best for you. I wish that if it was possible, that He would choose you my dearest sister, in joining the Church of the First Born. Elpha, you are a wonderful and blessed sister, with talents beyond many. This is done in sincerity and deep respect for you.

1833 - Upon hearing that the Saints in Independence were in grave danger from the mob, a group of about 100 brethren from the surrounding area formed a group and marched to Independence. They camped on the outskirts of town to wait and see what had happened. The prisoners held in the Jackson County Jail had been released in the morning. With the assurance of protection by the Lieutenant-Governor, Lillburn Boggs, the Saints gave into the request of the government officials and surrendered their arms in the name of peace. Almost immediately, the mobs began to burn and destroy the property of the Saints, chasing more than one thousand women and children from their homes under threat during a cold stormy blast of winter. Latter-day Saint men were hunted, beaten, shot at, and arrested.

1835 - The Prophet Joseph had a busy day beginning with attending school in the morning. He was called upon to visit Thomas Burdick, who was sick, and along with his scribe "prayed for and laid our hands on him in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and rebuked his affliction." He met with William M'Lellin and Orson Hyde, and later with Brigham Young, and read to them the revelation concerning the Twelve received two days previous. (History of the Church, 2:301-302)

1838 - The Prophet Joseph, and those with him, were kept under a small guard and were treated better than they had previously since their arrest. People continued to flock to see them and they had many opportunities to explain the doctrine of the Church and remove prejudice among the population of Jackson County, Missouri. The men of Far West were ordered by General Clark to form a line. The names of fifty-six men were then called and they were placed under arrest. (History of the Church, 3:202)

1842 - A group of Native-American Indians visited with the Prophet Joseph in Nauvoo, Illinois. "They expressed great friendship for the Mormon, and said they were their friends." They spent considerable time in Nauvoo, staying for a meal and conversation with the Prophet. (History of the Church, 5:183)

1895 - The people of Utah vote to ratify the state constitution, approve statehood, and elect the first Mormon state governor, Heber M. Wells. Utah would officially become a state on January 4, 1896, two months after this election.

1896 - The First Presidency announces that fast day will be moved from the first Thursday of each month to the first Sunday of the month.

1903 - The Church announces it had purchased Carthage Jail, the site of the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum Smith, the Patriarch.

1913 - The ground is broken for the Cardston Alberta Temple, the first temple built outside the United States.

1978 - The Saskatoon Saskatchewan Stake, the first stake in Saskatchewan, Canada, is organized.

1985 - President Spencer W. Kimball dies in Salt Lake City, Utah, at the age of ninety. [HD - my brother whom I do love and miss :grouphug:]

1985 - The first branch of the Church is organized in Swaziland.

1988 - The first converts, Serge and Christie Bonuoit, are baptized in French Guiana.

2003 - Olene Walker is sworn in as the Governor of Utah, the highest state political position obtained by an LDS woman in the United States.

1832 - The Prophet Joseph returned from his "hurried journey" to Albany, New York, and Boston, Massachusetts, arriving home just after the birth of his son, Joseph Smith III. (History of the Church, 1:295)

1833 - The mobs in Jackson County, Missouri, continued their driving of the Saints from the county. Men were hunted, and women and children fled for their lives. Many went to the banks of the Missouri River to camp until they could cross over to the north and safety. Being November, it was cold and wintery weather at the time of the expulsion.

1835 - The Prophet Joseph was introduced to a man from the east who disappointedly "remarked that I was nothing but a man, indicating by this expression, that he had supposed that a person to whom the Lord should see fit to reveal His will, must be something more than a man" (History of the Church, 2:302).

1837 - A meeting was held in Far West, Missouri, to discuss the lay out of the city and other matters. The Prophet Joseph and other leaders of the Church had just arrived in Far West, having left Kirtland, Ohio, to escape the persecutions from apostates in that area. The decision was made to encourage the gathering of the Saints to Far West and that the building of the temple in Far West would be postponed until the Lord reveals to have it commenced.

1838 - The men of Far West who had been arrested the previous day were addressed by General Clark of the Missouri Militia regarding the "peace" treaty that had been agreed to. The treaty required them to turn over all their leaders to be tried "according to the law," turn over all their arms, and sign over their property to defray the expenses of the war, and to leave the state of Missouri as soon as possible. He then told them that they would never see their leaders again "for their fate is fixed-their die is cast-their doom is sealed." He encouraged them to "break that chain of superstition, and liberate you from those fetters of fanaticism with which you are bound." Also, to "scatter abroad, and never again organize yourselves" again. He encouraged them to become like other citizens and to stop bringing calamities upon themselves. He then led the prisoners towards Richmond, Missouri, under heavy guard. The Prophet Joseph was still being held with other leaders of the Church in Jackson County, Missouri. (History of the Church, 3:202-204)

1940 - Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency, was born in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia.

1945 - The temple endowment is presented in Spanish, the first time the sacred ceremonies are presented in a language other than English.

1963 - The first meetinghouse in Ireland is dedicated by Elder James A. Cullimore in Londonderry.

1979 - John W. Welch files articles of incorporation for the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS). FARMS was established to support research into the Book of Mormon and other Latter-day Saint scripture and in 1999 became part of Brigham Young University.

1987 - The Museum of Church History and Art in Salt Lake City, Utah, opens its first international art exhibit.

1993 - Elder M. Russell Ballard, a descendent of Hyrum Smith, presides at a Latter-day Saint worship service held in the Kirtland Temple owned by the Community of Christ (RLDS). The meeting is believed to be the first Latter-day Saint service held in the temple in 140 years.

1833 - The shores of the Missouri River in Jackson County, Missouri, were lined with Latter-day Saints waiting for their turn on the ferry to cross over the river into Clay County where they would find temporary peace. Hundreds of people in tents and wagons struggled to survive under a heavy, cold rain. Husbands were trying to locate their families they had been separated from when the mobs attacked. The Prophet Joseph records, "The scene was indescribable, and would have melted the hearts of any people upon the earth, except the blind oppressor, and the prejudiced and ignorant bigot" (History of the Church, 1:437).

1837 - After the Second Counselor in the First Presidency, Frederick G. Williams, had been objected to by the conference of the Church held at Far West, Missouri, First Counselor Sidney Rigdon nominated Hyrum Smith to be sustained as Second Counselor to the Prophet Joseph Smith in the First Presidency. The vote was unanimous. This is the only time two brothers have served in the First Presidency together. (History of the Church, 2:522-225)

1838 - An order was issued by General Clark to Brigadier-General Robert Wilson to march to Adam-ondi-Ahman and to "take possession of the prisoners at that place, and proceed to ascertain those who committed crimes" (History of the Church, 3:204).

1841 - After Elder William O. Clark had preached to the Saints reproving them for their lack of solemnity and holy living in the" rigid sectarian style," the Prophet Joseph stood and reproved Elder Clark as Pharisaical and hypocritical and not edifying the people. He "showed the Saints what temperance, faith, virtue, charity, and truth were" and charged the Saints not to accuse each other of sin. The Prophet also taught, "If you have no accuser you will enter heaven, and if you will follow the revelations and instructions which God gives you through me, I will take you into heaven as my back load. If you will not accuse me, I will not accuse you. If you will throw a cloak of charity over my sins, I will over yours" (History of the Church, 4:445).

1843 - The Prophet Joseph asked Mr. Cole to find another place to have his school other than the upper room of the Red Brick Store. Willard Richards and W. W. Phelps were trying to write the Prophet's history and the noise from the school kept disturbing them. The Prophet writes that "there are but few subjects that I have felt a greater anxiety about than my history" and then describes the difficulties he has had in getting it written. The quorum of the Twelve met in the mayor's office and voted to raise money to print the Doctrine and Covenants. (History of the Church, 6:66).

1911 - The citizens of Kanab, Utah, elect Mary Woolley Chamberlain as mayor, with an all-female town council, a first in U. S. History.

1928 - Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is born in Pocatello, Idaho.

2006 - James Gibbons, a member of the Church, is elected Governor of the state of Nevada.

1832 - Brigham Young, Joseph Young, and Heber C. Kimball arrive in Kirtland, Ohio, after traveling from Mendon, New York, to meet the Prophet Joseph Smith for the first time. In an evening meeting, Brigham Young speaks in tongues. Joseph writes that it "was the first time I had heard this gift among the brethren; others also spoke, and I received the gift myself" (History of the Church, 1:297).

1841 - A wooden baptismal font in the Nauvoo Temple is dedicated by Elder Brigham Young under the direction of the Prophet Joseph Smith. "This font was built for the baptisms for the dead until the Temple shall be finished, when a more durable one will supply its place" (History of the Church, 4:446-447). A stone font would replace the wooden font in 1845.

1851 - Elder Parley P. Pratt and his companion Rufus Allen arrive by ship in Valparaiso, Chile, becoming the first LDS missionaries to serve in Chile.

1869 - Work begins on a gallery that will add an additional three thousand seats to the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City, Utah. The gallery also improves the acoustics of the building.

1912 - The First Presidency announces the creation of a Correlation Executive Committee to coordinate scheduling and streamline the functions of the Church auxiliaries.

1938 - The citizens of California elect Culbert L. Olson as governor, the first Latter-day Saint elected as a governor of a state outside of Utah.

1992 - President Elaine L. Jack of the Relief Society makes the first visit to India by a Church auxiliary president.

1993 - The First Presidency announces TempleReady, a software program designed to speed up the process of clearing names obtained through family history research for temple work. Also, A Members Guide to Temple and Family History Work is released.

1831 - The Prophet Joseph spent much of his time in the first half of November in preparing the revelations and commandments he had received for printing. Oliver Cowdery was to take them to Independence, Missouri, where they would be printed in book format. (History of the Church, 1:229, 235)

1835 - The Prophet Joseph received a visit from a man called "Joshua, the Jewish Minister," who remained the entire day discussing religion. Joseph shared with him a brief history of the Church and the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.. "Joshua" was invited to stay for dinner and give a lecture in the evening. Several visitors came to the Prophet's home during the day to meet this Jewish minister. Suspicions were that Joshua was a man named Robert Matthias from New York who had been recently released from prison for several crimes in New York. Joseph confronted him and he confessed to be this Matthias and that Joshua was his priestly name. Joshua gave his lecture later that evening and the Prophet Joseph records, "He made some very excellent remarks, but his mind was evidently filled with darkness" (History of the Church, 2:306).

1838 - General Samuel Lucas arrives in Richmond, Missouri, with the Prophet Joseph Smith and six other Mormon prisoners for a preliminary hearing in the circuit court of Judge Austin A. King. They were taken to an old vacant house in Richmond and guards were set to keep them from escaping. General Clark came in and was introduced to them and the Prophet asked him why they had been taken from their homes and brought to Richmond and what charges were against them. He replied "he was not then able to determine, but would be in a short time." A short time after General Clark left, Colonel Price came in with chains and padlocks and chained the seven men together. The windows of the house were nailed down and the vacant house became a prison.

1856 - Aided by rescuers sent out by President Brigham Young, approximately four hundred members of the Willie handcart company finally arrive in Salt Lake City.. More than one hundred Church members in the company had perished from hunger and cold along the journey.

1952 - The first stake in Michigan is organized in Detroit.

1972 - The International Mission is organized for members of the Church living in areas where there is no formal church presence, organization, or missionary work being conducted.

1978 - Missionaries enter the African republic of Nigeria for the first time.

1990 - Terrence H. Rooney is elected to the British Parliament, becoming the first member of the Church elected to that political body.

2006 - Noted Pulitzer Prize winning author David McCullough visited with President Gordon B. Hinckley in Salt Lake City, Utah, presenting him with a copy of his book, John Adams. President Hinckley presented Mr. McCullough with a special edition of the Book of Mormon. When asked by Mr. McCullough one thing about this country he would change, President Hinckley responded with, "I would try to bring about the great fundamental virtues of the Founding Fathers-honesty, integrity and hard work" (Church News, November 18, 2006, p. 14).

1831 - The Prophet Joseph receives the revelation known as Doctrine and Covenants 69. The revelations that were to be printed as the Book of Commandments in Independence, Missouri, had been prepared and Oliver Cowdery was appointed to take the manuscript and the money that had been collected for the building up of Zion to Missouri. As he was to travel a long distance through unsettled territory, John Whitmer was called to travel with him for safety and support. Today, missionaries travel in pairs for the same reason. (History of the Church, 1:234-235)

1835 - The Prophet Joseph continued his discussions with Robert Matthias, who called himself "Joshua, the Jewish Minister," who was staying in the Prophet's home. After listening to him further explain his views on the resurrection, the Prophet Joseph told him "that his doctrine was of the devil, that he was in reality in possession of a wicked and depraved spirit" (History of the Church, 2:307).

1838 - The Saints at Adam-ondi-Ahman surrender to General Moses Wilson of the Missouri militia and are ordered to leave Daviess County within ten days. They are granted permission to live in Caldwell County until spring. Permission is also given for a committee of twelve Saints to travel between Adam-ondi-Ahman and Far West for a period of four weeks to convey their crops from Daviess to Caldwell Counties.

1923 - The Relief Societies throughout North America receive a charge to collect and repair clothing and shoes to ease the distress of the Saints in Germany following World War I.

1966 - Italy is rededicated for the preaching of the gospel by Elder Ezra Taft Benson. It had previously been dedicated by Elder Lorenzo Snow in 1850.

1985 - Ezra Taft Benson is ordained and set apart as the thirteenth President of the Church, with Gordon B. Hinckley and Thomas S. Monson as Counselors.

1994 - President Howard W. Hunter attends a reception in the Relief Society Building commemorating the 125th anniversary of the Young Women organization that was founded on 28 November 1869.

2006 - A symposium was held on the campus of Brigham Young University to honor the 150th anniversary of Oliver Cowdery's birth. Fourteen presentations were given by scholars covering various topics about his life and accomplishments.

1835 - After breakfast, the Prophet Joseph told Robert Matthias, who was going by the name "Joshua, the Jewish Minister" and who was staying in the Prophet's home, that "my God told me, that his god was the devil, and I could not keep him any longer, and he must depart.. And so I, for once, cast out the devil in bodily shape, and I believe a murderer" (History of the Church, 2:307).

1838 - It was during this time of imprisonment in Richmond, Missouri, that Parley P. Pratt records in his autobiography the Prophet Joseph's rebuke of the guards. Brother Pratt writes that the seven men, chained together, tried to get to sleep while the guards "recounted to each other their deeds of rapine, murder, robbery, etc., which they had committed among the 'Mormons' while at Far West and vicinity. The even boasted of defiling by force wives, daughters and virgins, and of shooting or dashing out the brains of men, women, and children. I had listened till I became so disgusted, shocked, horrified, and so filled with the spirit of indignant justice that I could scarcely refrain from rising upon my feet and rebuking the guards; but had said nothing to Joseph, or anyone else, although I lay next to him and knew he was awake. On a sudden he arose to his feet, and spoke in a voice of thunder, or as the roaring lion, uttering, as nearly as I can recollect, the following words: 'Silence, ye fiends of the infernal pit! In the name of Jesus Christ I rebuke you, and command you to be still; I will not live another minute and hear such language. Cease such talk, or you or I will die this instant!' He ceased to speak. He stood erect in terrible majesty. . . . dignity and majesty have I seen but once, as it stood in chains, at midnight in a dungeon, in an obscure village in Missouri" (Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, p. 228-230). On this date, General Clark informed the Prophet Joseph that he, and the others held in custody, would be turned over to the civil authorities for trial. Fifty-three brethren were brought before Judge Austin A. King in Richmond, Missouri, and charged with crimes of high treason against the state, murder, burglary, arson, robbery, and larceny.

1948 - Belle Smith Spafford, latter the general president of the Relief Society, begins service as the vice president of the National Council of Women.

1975 - The remodeled St. George Utah Temple is rededicated by President Spencer W. Kimball.

1979 - The first stake in Panama is organized in Panama City with Nelson L. Altamirano as president.

1994 - Music and Values, a Church-produced public affairs radio program, wins the 1994 Gabriel Award in the national-religious category.

1831 - The Prophet Joseph Smith receives the revelation known as Doctrine and Covenants 70, at Kirtland, Ohio. The Lord gives directions for publication of the revelations to the Prophet Joseph and gives further instructions on the law of consecration. (History of the Church, 1:235-237)

1835 - The Prophet Joseph meets with the Quorum of the Twelve in Kirtland, Ohio, and instructs them in the ordinance of washing of feet and the future ordinance of the endowment for which they must prepare. "You need an endowment, brethren, in order that you may be prepared and able to overcome all things" (History of the Church, 2:309).

1838 - In Richmond, Missouri, Judge Austin King began court of inquiry proceedings against the leaders of the Church. His first act was to send out an armed body of men to obtain witnesses for the proceedings. The Prophet Joseph and others remained in custody under difficult conditions in Richmond during the proceedings. (History of the Church, 3:209)

1845 - A conference of the Church was held in New York City presided over by Elder Orson Pratt. It was resolved by the members in the New York area to join with the Saints in their move to the west as soon as possible, either by land or by water. They would choose water and sail to California in 1846 under the leadership of Samuel Brannan.

1848 - Oliver Cowdery is rebaptized by Elder Orson Hyde in Mosquito Creek near Council Bluffs, Iowa. Oliver had left the Church ten years before in 1838. After baptism, he would travel to Richmond, Missouri to visit David Whitmer, where he would die and be buried in early 1850.

1888 - Jacob Spori is appointed the first principal of the Fremont or Bannock Stake Academy, later becoming Ricks College and then, Brigham Young University-Idaho, in Rexburg, Idaho.

1906 - The Rick's Academy Building was dedicated by Elder John Henry Smith of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Enough money had been raised to pay off the mortgage prior to dedication. Fremont Stake President Thomas Bassett stated, "It is 18 years today since Pres. Ricks and Pres. Rigby organized the Ricks Academy . . . It has grown until it has become the glory of Southeastern Idaho."

1967 - The first stake in Uruguay is organized at Montevideo.

1978 - The first stake in Manitoba, Canada, is organized at Winnipeg.

1988 - Church owned Ricks College, in Rexburg, Idaho, celebrates its centennial. Also, the Ricks College women's cross-country team wins its first national title.

2006 - After renovations, the Papeete Tahiti Temple was rededicated by Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

1833 - About 4:00 a.m., The Prophet Joseph was awakened by Brother Davis knocking at his door calling on him to come out and view the "signs in the heavens." A meteor shower was taking place and it appeared "all heaven seemed enwrapped in splendid fireworks." The Prophet was filled with "great joy" at the sign that the coming of the Lord was close at hand. However, he also records, "Beautiful and terrific as was the scenery, it will not fully compare with the time when the sun shall become black like sack-cloth of hair, the moon like blood, and the stars fall to the earth" (History of the Church, 1:439-440).

1835 - The Prophet Joseph spent the evening at Sidney Rigdon's home with Mr. Messenger, a Universalist minister from Bainbridge, New York. "We preached the Gospel to him, and bore testimony of what we had seen and heard. He attempted to raise some objections, but the force of truth bore him down, and he was silent, although unbelieving" (History of the Church, 2:311).

1838 - Joseph F. Smith, sixth President of the Church, is born in Far West, Missouri, during the persecution of the Saints and while his father, Hyrum Smith, is being held in a Richmond, Missouri, jail. Also, Judge Austin A. King presided over a court of Inquiry that began on this date in Richmond, Missouri. Witnesses against the leadership of the Church were called and sworn at the point of the bayonet. Many were previously active in the Church, such as Sampson Avard and William W. Phelps. Some testified to prevent continued persecution against their families by the mob, some testified against the Prophet Joseph out of disillusionment and apostasy. The court would continue several days. (History of the Church, 3:209-210)

1843 - The Prophet Joseph received a letter from James Arlington Bennett and responds to it with a lengthy letter answering Mr. Bennett's questions. He concludes the letter with the words, "And to close, let me say in the name of Jesus Christ to you, and to presidents, emperors, kings, queens, governors, rulers, nobles, and men in authority everywhere, Do the works of righteousness, execute justice and judgement in the earth, that God may bless you and her inhabitants" (History of the Church, 6:7178).

1894 - Elder Franklin D. Richards is appointed president of the newly organized Genealogical Society of Utah.

1994 - President Howard W. Hunter speaks at the centennial of the Genealogical Society of Utah (currently known as the Church Family History Department); there he is honored for his service as president of the Society from 1964-1972.

1995 - President Gordon B. Hinckley meets with U.S. President Bill Clinton and vice president Al Gore. Afterwards, President Hinckley holds a press conference at the Harvard Club in New York City, New York.

1799 - David W. Patten, member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and killed as a martyr in Missouri during the battle of Crooked River in 1838, is born in Theresa, New York.

1835 - The Prophet Joseph receives a revelation calling Warren Parrish as a scribe to the Prophet. Also, a gentleman by the name of Erastus Holmes, of Newbury, Ohio, visited the Prophet Joseph to inquire about the Church. The Prophet spent the afternoon with him relating his history from his childhood to the First Vision, and from the coming forth of the Book of Mormon to the present. The Prophet records that "He listened very attentively, and seemed highly gratified, and intends to unite with the Church" (History of the Church, 2:312).

1838 - The Court of Inquiry continued in Richmond, Missouri. The leading brethren of the Church remained in jail as their families suffered from persecution and winter weather in Far West, Adam-ondi-Ahman, and the surrounding areas of North-central, Missouri.

1841 - Being Sunday, the Prophet Joseph preached to a large congregation at the Nauvoo Temple construction site. Later in the day, nine of the Twelve Apostles met in council to prepare an epistle to the Saints living in Europe. (History of the Church, 4:448-453)

1842 - Mayor Joseph Smith presided at a city council meeting where an "Ordinance regulating the proceeding on writs of habeas corpus" was approved giving the Courts of the City of Nauvoo the right to protect the citizens of Nauvoo from unlawful arrest by outside parties.

1843 - The First branch of the Church in Nova Scotia, Canada, is organized at Halifax.

1907 - Howard W. Hunter, fourteenth President of the Church, is born in Boise, Idaho.

1999 - The Halifax Nova Scotia Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley. The Regina Saskatchewan Temple is dedicated by President Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve. This is the first time in Church History that two temples are dedicated on the same day.

1999 - The Halifax Nova Scotia Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley. The Regina Saskatchewan Temple is dedicated by President Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve. This is the first time in Church History that two temples are dedicated on the same day.

Hemi,

Have you noticed that almost each one of these "Today in church history" has a temple dedication in it?

I think that's cool.

Elphaba

1831 - Oliver Cowdery and John Whitmer leave Kirtland, Ohio, for Independence, Missouri, to publish the Book of Commandments. Only a few copies of this book, containing the Prophet Joseph Smith's revelations, were completed due to the mob action that destroyed the printing establishment of the Church in Independence.

1841 - The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles issue an epistle to the Saints scattered in Britain and Europe. The epistle talks about completing the Temple in Nauvoo that "His servants may be instructed, and endowed with power from on high" and "In this house all the ordinances will be made manifest, and many things will be shown forth, which have been hid from generation to generation." The epistle then encourages the Saints to gather to Nauvoo to help with the Temple and become part of Zion.

1842 - The Prophet Joseph Smith resigns as editor of the Times and Seasons and appoints Elder John Taylor to replace him. (History of the Church, 5:193)

1843 - At a prayer meeting at the "old house" (known today as the Homestead) in Nauvoo, the Prophet Joseph spoke of his intentions to prepare a petition to the U.S. Congress and a proclamation to the Kings of the earth. (History of the Church, 6:79)

1845 - The poem, "My Father in Heaven" is published in the Nauvoo Times and Seasons. The text of the poem would later be put to music as the hymn "O My Father." Also, a mob set fire to a stack of straw near Solomon Hancock's barn. Several brethren ran out to put the fire out. The mob then fired upon the brethren killing Edmund Durfee. None of the other brethren were hurt.

1886 - The LDS Business College was founded in Salt Lake City, Utah.

1950 - The First Presidency issues a policy stating that only members of record in a unit should be called to serve as officers of that unit.

1993 - After ninety-six years, the statue of Brigham Young in the center of the intersection of South Temple and Main Street in Salt Lake City, Utah, is moved to a location eighty-two feet north of the intersection. Later, in 1999, the Church would construct the Main Street Plaza that would include the statue with additional gardens between Temple Square and the Church administrative block in downtown Salt Lake City.

1831 - About this time, Oliver Cowdery and John Whitmer left for Missouri, and the Prophet Joseph Smith resumed working on his inspired translation of the Bible with Sidney Rigdon as his scribe. (History of the Church, 1:238)

1838 - The Court of Inquiry continues in Richmond, Missouri. During this time, the defense gave a list of witnesses to the court who would support the leadership of the Church in their cause. All the witnesses were then arrested and thrust into prison and the defense was not allowed to see them.

1878 - Two thousand Latter-day Saint women gather at the Salt Lake Theater in Salt Lake City, Utah, to protest the federal government's interference with religious practice in Utah.

1879 - The Mexican Mission is organized.

1952 - The Central American Mission is organized.

1975 - The first stake in France is organized at Paris.

1981 - The Jordan River Utah Temple is dedicated by President Marion G. Romney of the First Presidency.

1839 - On their way to England for their missions, Elders Brigham Young and John Taylor spent some time in Kirtland, Ohio, and on this day, preached in the Kirtland Temple to the Saints who remained in that city.

1842 - A severe snowstorm hit the Nauvoo, Illinois, area, freezing the Mississippi River at Nauvoo, fulfilling a prophecy the Prophet Joseph had made earlier in the month. An Elder Alpheus Harmon, who was returning from a mission, and another man, were found frozen to death on the prairie between Nauvoo and Carthage.

1846 - A sick detachment of the Mormon Battalion, under the leadership of Captain James Brown, arrives in Pueblo, Colorado, where they will spend the winter with a group of Saints from Mississippi who were also wintering in Pueblo. The following summer they would travel to the Salt Lake Valley.

1964 - The Oakland California Temple is dedicated by President David O. McKay.

1980 - The Seattle Washington Temple is dedicated by President Spencer W. Kimball.

1984 - The Taipei Taiwan Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley of the First Presidency.

1835 - The Prophet Joseph attends and speaks at the funeral of Preserved Harris' father. He teaches about the resurrection. In the evening the Prophet Joseph, along with Bishop Whitney and others, visit Father Smith. A debate between "some of the young Elders" on whether it was the design of Christ to establish His Gospel by miracles was taking place. After three hours, the debate ended with the President of the debate deciding "in the negative, which was a righteous decision." The Prophet, concerned that the debate had become too enthusiastic, like a lawyer defending "his cause, right or wrong," took the opportunity to give some advice. He taught that they "should handle sacred things very sacredly, and with the due deference to the opinions of others, and with an eye single to the glory of God" (History of the Church, 2:317-318).

1838 - A permit was issued allowing a group of Latter-day Saint men to travel through Daviess County, Missouri, "upon lawful business" without harm or arrest. The Court of Inquiry in Richmond, Missouri, asked for a list of witnesses for the defense. The Prophet, and those with him, gave the court a list of 40-50 names of people who would be their witnesses. Captain Bogart and a company of militia was then sent to procure them. "He arrested all he could find, thrust them into prison, and we were not allowed to see them" (History of the Church, 3:211). The Court of Inquiry continued even though every witness for the defense was arrested to keep them from testifying.

1839 - About this time, on their journey to Washington D.C. to meet with government officials on redress for the acts in Missouri, the Prophet Joseph and his party arrived in Columbus, Ohio. Sidney Rigdon had become very ill. The Prophet and Judge Higbee continued on to Washington D. C., leaving Brothers Rigdon, Rockwell, and Foster, to come at a later time. (History of the Church, 4:21)

1845 - A letter came to the Twelve Apostles requesting that all witnesses to the murder of Elder Edmund Durfee a few days earlier needed to be in Carthage to testify. Brigham Young calls it "another judicial farce."

1975 - The Church Genealogical Department, now known as the Family History Department, is reorganized into five divisions.

1980 - Elders Bruce Blosil and Ricky Loynd baptize 139 Nivacle Indians in the village of Mistolar, Paraguay. Twenty-two more are baptized on December 25th, and another forty-five in April 1981.

1988 - The Church is awarded the President's Historical Preservation Award by President Ronald Reagan for restoring the Newel K. Whitney Store in Kirtland, Ohio.

1996 - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin is the first Apostle of this dispensation to visit far east Russia when he visits with the Saints in Vladivostok.

1823 - The Prophet Joseph's oldest brother, Alvin, dies in Manchester, New York. On his death bed, he encourages Joseph to be faithful to the spiritual experiences he has received and to obey the commandments of the Lord so that he will be able to obtain the gold plates to translate them. In 1836, it was a vision of Alvin in the celestial kingdom that opened the Prophets understanding of the doctrine of salvation for the dead. (See Doctrine and Covenants 137.)

1833 - Word is beginning to filter into Kirtland, Ohio, of the difficulties of the Saints in Jackson County. The Prophet Joseph learns of the intentions of some people to expel the Saints from the county, that they have appealed to the governor of the state who has promised protection, and that there are violent persons threatening death to the Saints. He writes, in a letter to Moses C. Nickerson of Mount Pleasant, Upper Canada, "How far they will be suffered to execute their threats, we know not, but we trust in the Lord, and leave the event with Him to govern in his own wise providence" (History of the Church, 1:442). He records in his history that "my heart is somewhat sorrowful, but I feel to trust in the Lord, the God of Jacob" (History of the Church, 1:443). Meanwhile, the Saints have been driven from Jackson County and are struggling to find shelter from the winter weather in neighboring counties. It would be nearly a week before Joseph would learn of the terrible events that took place in Missouri during the later part of October and first part of November.

1835 - In company with Frederick G. Williams, the Prophet Joseph visited the Kirtland Temple to see how the work was progressing. The masons were finishing the coat of plaster on the inside. Later he visited with some members about having faith in the Church and spent much of the day translating the Egyptian records that would become known as the Book of Abraham. (History of the Church, 2:318)

1918 - President Joseph F. Smith, sixth President of the Church, dies in Salt Lake City, Utah, at the age of eighty.

1927 - Church member Harold A. Lafount is appointed as chair of the Federal Radio Commission, the first Latter-day Saint to hold this position.

1963 - Missionaries arrive for the first time in Luxembourg.

1972 - The first stake in Chile is organized at Santiago.

1974 - The Washington D. C. Temple is dedicated by President Spencer W. Kimball.

1998 - President Gordon B. Hinckley, feeling the need to be among the people of hurricane-stricken Nicaragua and Honduras, spends three days offering comfort and assistance to the victims and speaks to an estimated 19,000 members in the area stricken by hurricane Mitch.

2005 - The Mormon Tabernacle Choir presents a benefit concert for the National Sports Center for the Disabled in the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado.

2006 - Following its "Music and the Spoken Word" broadcast, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was honored as a Laureate of the 2006 Mother Teresa Award for "edifying the world through inspirational choral performances and recordings." Very Reverend Joseph Mayor, rector of the Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City, presented a statuette to choir president Mac Christensen and music director Craig Jessop on behalf of the St. Bernadette Institute of Sacred Art.

1835 - Oliver Cowdery returned to Kirtland, Ohio, from New York and brought with him a quantity of Hebrew books to be used in the school being held there. The Prophet Joseph was presented with a Hebrew Bible, Lexicon, and Grammar, also a Greek Lexicon, and Webster's English Dictionary. The Prophet Joseph was in the process of translating the papyri from the Egyptian mummies that had recently come into his possession. (History of the Church, 2:318)

1838 - Even though most of the Saints witnesses had been arrested to keep them from testifying in the Prophet Joseph's and the other brethren's behalf, the Court of Inquiry continued in Richmond, Missouri.

1879 - The first branch of the Church in Mexico is organized in Mexico City.

1894 - The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles approve the articles of incorporation of the Genealogical Society of Utah.

1966 - The first stake in Argentina is organized in Buenos Aires.

1999 - The Billings Montana Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley.

2006 - Church member Josh Rohatinsky, running for Brigham Young University, won the NCAA Cross Country National Championship.