So What is the real Story?

Elrond

I've heard for many years Mormons believe in polygamy and some practice it. First of all I could care less. God allowed multiple wives and singular relationships throughout history.

(If this topic shouldn't be discussed on open forum please delete and PM me.) Thanks.

As some of you know by now I am not an LDS member but have LDS friends and am somewhat familiar with LDS teachings. It even appears I have received revelations that are in agreement with Joseph Smiths. Yes. I knew the Native Americans were of the Tribe of Joseph, in 1994, 3 years before I ever read the Book of Mormon.

Anyways, this polygamy thing. I am married and have a wife but sometimes I wish there were someone else who could help arouhnd here. Not a slave or servant but someone loved and equal. Someone who could take the burden off my wife when she has to deal with our 2 kids while I'm working. I don't even have so called "employment" but I work 8 - 12 hours a day on our land and the duties are so intense I cannot give much help in the home at that time.

I am not talking about a second wife or polygamy for sex, I am talking rationally here, like I am at my wits end and if allowed I would marry someone just is she agreed to love our family and help with the kids and help me a little with the work on our land.....

I ultimately want Gods will. I am just looking for some opinions from people who seek and know God.

You sound like you're employed to me, even if it's self employed. It's great that you're working hard- I haven't ready any of your other posts yet, hopefully you're doing well enough to be able to provide for your family, and not just for their physical needs, but to be there for them to spend good time with them. I hope you'll visit us at church to meet some brothers and sisters, and of course to pray and seek for God's help in sorting out priorities in life.

I find it interesting today where couples can't manage a family with two children. If they have two children then they need a nanny or additional help. My wife took care of our four children ages 6,4,2 and newborn. She was able to do that and once they were all in school she went back to college to get her undergraduate degree.

No need for a second wife. With a second wife comes additional inlaws, trips to the mall and all the other things that comes with having females around. One is more than enough for me to handle.

Ben Raines

The Lord makes this fairly clear in the Book of Mormon.

Jacob 2: 27-30

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.

30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

Thus, the practice is forbidden UNLESS the Lord commands it. We believe the Lord still has prophets today to make known His will. (See Amos 3:7)

Edited by nimrod

The same could be said for the need for a second husband.

One is just right for me.

-Carol

So true. I don't need both sides of my garage filled up with saws and tools. And my husband is already gone one weekend a month camping with the Boy Scouts, and usually has some other Scouting activity another weekend a month...I don't need to fill in the other two weekends with more of the same.

On the other hand, I could really use a husband who offers to rub my feet instead of being asked. :P

You make a good point. However I would not personally use the word command -- instead I would use the word "ordinance" or "allows" as this implies exactly what we have seen in the Bible and in more recent times. God allows it, in certain circumstances.

The Lord makes this fairly clear in the Book of Mormon.

Jacob 2: 27-30

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.

30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

Thus, the practice is forbidden UNLESS the Lord commands(ordains) (addition and emphasis mine) it. We believe the Lord still has prophets today to make known His will. (See Amos 3:7)

Well, again I find that the stories told by other churches are false.

As far as working, I do NOT work for an employer and hope I never will have to again.

We own land that we moved to almost 3 years ago and I have been building our house almost singlehandedly , and it is nearly finished. This year I built a tornado shelter which is all solid 8" thick concrete and rock.... Our house is 200' from the road so I lugged all materials by hand.

There is also gardening, woodcutting, landscaping (moving 100+ pound rocks included), taking care of animals, and since we don't have a well yet I have to gather water in town daily in 1 gallon and 7 gallon containers...

Anyone who has said to me "why don't you get a job?" makes me very upset.

As for finances we bought land and moved here mainly on money my wife and I had saved from working jobs and money I made in self employment. WE got scammed after we moved here and my wife had to work a factory job for nearly 2 years. Why didn't I work? Because who would build the house? My wife has helped with the house but no way she could do the real hard stuff... I can barely do the real hard stuff!

After our second child my wife quit her job which kind of stunk because she was making around $12.00 an hour after 2 years. My Mom passed away this summer and left some inheritance but it wasn't millions. We now do a little self employment online. Our 3 year old is exteremely demanding to the point he is like 3 kids. He gets into stuff and can destroy stuff in seconds. The other day he ran upstairs and out the front door (that sounds wierd but our house is tiered in 3 levels on a hill), and within less than 60 seconds he had ran 200' up the path to the cars and was trying to get in our Acura which is his favorite car and mine too.

This gives you an idea of the child care we have to deal with.

We have no babysitter. A neighbor used to sit for us but she turned out to be a busibody and a liar. She had called and reported a neighbor for cutting timber on his own land, and then she called and reported us for not supervising our children and smoking pot around them! It was a lie. I haven't smoked pot in years and my wife never has... We argued. The CS investigation showed it was not a substantiated report, I submitted to 2 urine tests that came up negative for pot. The CS investigator called the neighbors actions harrassment. She did this twice and if she does it again we will have the right to file a civil lawsuit in court.

Anyways, I would love to have someone here who could help out. My stepkids would be great since they are a 15 year old girl and 13 year old boy. But it's a matter of having the room and means to support 4 kids.

The work we do here is probably the work of 4 people and we are only 2. We cannot afford to hire contractors to build because we want things built a certain way and custom design costs more money. Plus some people around here demand you pay them half before the job then they never show up or take months to complete the job. We had volunteer help when we first came here and one guy couldn't hammer a nail and ended up splitting out several boards and bending nails. This all on and around a crucial corner at the highest point of the house. I mean, how do you fire a volunteer that came over with the neighbor out of the goodness of their heart?

That's why when I asked this question I said it wasn't about a sexual relationship...

The day before I wrote this I had installed metal roofing over our 3rd bedroom. I had done some concrete and mortar work to seal walls. We got a wood delivery and I stacked a cord of wood I had to lug 50' from where it was delivered to our woodpile, and split many logs.

This was all after I had to drive to town for groceries and water and pick up building supplies which took about 2 1/2 hours.

That day I basically worked from dawn till dusk which is about 12 hours now.... My breaks were like 2 minutes and my lunch was enough time to woof down some chicken and rice my wife had cooked so it was probably 10 minutes. I am my own worse boss.... I probably take 20 to 30 minutes worth of breaks in 12 hours. I also work 7 days a week. I am only online now because it was too cold to do concrete work and I have to go pick up a window 25 miles away so I can actually have a couple hours here, plus I needed to do our online stuff (I multitask) so in essence it's still work!

My wife in the mean time managed 2 very demanding children and came up on the roof to help me install some of the panels.....

Edited by Elrond

You make a good point. However I would not personally use the word command -- instead I would use the word "ordinance" or "allows" as this implies exactly what we have seen in the Bible and in more recent times. God allows it, in certain circumstances.

"Command" was not my word. I pulled it directly from the scripture I quoted. It was the Lord's word.

Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

Guest DeborahC

Well, I'm a 56 year old female who wishes polygamy had not been outlawed, because I see the wisdom in it and think I'd do well ... but the fact remains that the Church no longer teaches or supports it.

And that is that...

Well, I'm a 56 year old female who wishes polygamy had not been outlawed, because I see the wisdom in it and think I'd do well ... but the fact remains that the Church no longer teaches or supports it.

And that is that...

I think plural marriage served it's purpose in the time and circumstances in which it was practiced. It was a calling practiced by a small number of men in the Church to "raise up righteous seed unto the Lord", and it certainly accomplished that, even down to today.

The Lord took the Church to the mountains so it could have time to grow and strengthen in number and righteousness. Now the rock that Daniel saw cut out of the mountain without hands has began to roll forth to fill the earth as it was foretold. I see no need for the practice to return in our lifetime.

Guest queriesqueries

Hi Elrond,

I just wanted to say, I hear ya. It's a tough life you've chosen, but undoubtedly worthwhile when it's under control - freedom is awesome even though it comes at a high price. I often think of how I'd like a wife to help me cook and clean and take care of my kids. Wouldn't that be great? Unfortunately they are expensive to hire, so we make do around my place with me, my husband, three boys (15, 7, and 1 - all a handful, I know what you mean with your crazy wild 3 year old), and two jobs (used to be 3, but we're down to 2 right now).

It's far from perfect - the house is often a mess, and we don't always eat great, and the kids run amok. But do you know what? The most important things in life are 1) my relationship with God, 2) my relationship with my family, and 3) living the gospel. I have to focus on what's important (to keep my attitude up, where I want it) and try to manage the rest.

It's not called "fighting the good fight" for nothing. Good luck and let us know how it goes... peace and love, Q

Hi Elrond,

I often think of how I'd like a wife to help me cook and clean and take care of my kids. Wouldn't that be great? Unfortunately they are expensive to hire,

Queries? I have never taken something wholeheartedly from someone and used it as my signature. This made me smile and it has just become my new signature.

I think plural marriage served it's purpose in the time and circumstances in which it was practiced. It was a calling practiced by a small number of men in the Church to "raise up righteous seed unto the Lord", and it certainly accomplished that, even down to today.

The Lord took the Church to the mountains so it could have time to grow and strengthen in number and righteousness. Now the rock that Daniel saw cut out of the mountain without hands has began to roll forth to fill the earth as it was foretold. I see no need for the practice to return in our lifetime.

I'm with Deborah I see great wisdom in it today think it would do wonders for the PND/PPD rates. It would allow 2 incomes and children to be cared for etc The Lord has commanded not so we don't do at least in mortality, but its not something I would ever have an issue with if it came back

-Charley

Hidden

My great-great-grandmother was the ninth wife. She kept a journal because she was told to by the prophet. Before her death she tore the pages out and burned them. When asked why, she said that what she'd written was between her and the Lord and nobody else's business. She lived a hard life.

I believe there was a time and place for polygamy. It has been removed from the earth now. I'm not sure I could live it knowing how hard it was on women who lived in when it was here. However, with God all things are possible so I'll just leave it up to my Heavenly Father.

In the meantime. . . (tongue in cheek) I want a wife! :D

applepansy