What Does It Mean That God Is No Respector Of...

ST:DS9

What does it mean that God is no respector of persons?

The Levites were the only onese who could officiate in many things in the OT.

Sometimes God will have Polygamy,and sometimes he will not.

For whatever reason blacks couldn't be ordained into the priesthood at one time.

Certain people are called to do certain things ( called to be a Prophet, Sunday School teacher, ect) but while others (Though faithfull) would not be ever be called to certian callings.

Anthing else that I can't think of.

I don't want to discuss each of those points above, they were used only as an example. In the light of these things, I don't feel that I have a true understanding of what it means that God is not a respector of persons. In my view, God loves all his children equally, even though some are called to greater things, or live certian laws, or not able to have certain authority from God, ect. It doesn't matter in the big picture, everybody is equel in Gods eyes and he loves them all the same.

It is a given that God loves everyone equally, but that is not the same as being a respecter of persons. Being a respecter of persons is to give a person, or a group of people, an advantage that others don't have, or requiring less (or more) from someone. But God does not do that. In His mind, everyone has to have the same opportunity as everyone else to attain His glory (Celestial Glory).

Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Romans 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Ephesians 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

Colossians 3:32 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

D&C 1:35 For I am no respecter of persons, and will that all men shall know that the day speedily cometh; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand, when peace shall be taken from the earth, and the devil shall have power over his own dominion.

D&C 38:16 And for your salvation I give unto you a commandment, for I have heard your prayers, and the poor have complained before me, and the rich have I made, and all flesh is mine, and I am no respecter of persons.

And just as God is not a respecter of persons, he doesn't want us to be a respecter of persons.

Alma 1:30 And thus, in their prosperous circumstances, they did not send away any who were naked, or that were hungry, or that were athirst, or that were sick, or that had not been nourished; and they did not set their hearts upon riches; therefore they were liberal to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, whether out of the church or in the church, having no respect to persons as to those who stood in need.

Alma 16:14 And as many as would hear their words, unto them they did impart the word of God, without any respect of persons, continually.

I like this one the best.

D&C 38:26 For what man among you having twelve sons, and is no respecter of them, and they serve him obediently, and he saith unto the one: Be thou clothed in robes and sit thou here; and to the other: Be thou clothed in rags and sit thou there—and looketh upon his sons and saith I am just?

Great question ST:DS9!

This is what I perceive Jendas post to mean. Although we will not me "dealt the same cards" in the life, we will all have the same opportunity to make it back to live with Him. Respecter of persons, is not unjust, because when we are sent to earth we are not persons...we are His spirit children with souls. That makes it possible for Him to love us all equally, in us being his children.

The real value come to us, when we work through a problem, or a trial in our lives, we become strong, and shine from within. This is the way we find our way back to Him is through this inner light.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Nov 13 2004, 10:04 AM

Great question ST:DS9!

This is what I perceive Jendas post to mean. Although we will not me "dealt the same cards" in the life, we will all have the same opportunity to make it back to live with Him. Respecter of persons, is not unjust, because when we are sent to earth we are not persons...we are His spirit children with souls. That makes it possible for Him to love us all equally, in us being his children.

The real value come to us, when we work through a problem, or a trial in our lives, we become strong, and shine from within. This is the way we find our way back to Him is through this inner light.

Great answer Strawberry!

It is a given that God loves everyone equally, but that is not the same as being a respecter of persons. Being a respecter of persons is to give a person, or a group of people, an advantage that others don't have, or requiring less (or more) from someone. But God does not do that.

An interesting notion certainly. It's not what the Bible teaches but it is still nice:

Deuteronomy 7:6

speaking of the Jews...

For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.

Originally posted by Snow@Nov 14 2004, 10:04 AM

It is a given that God loves everyone equally, but that is not the same as being a respecter of persons. Being a respecter of persons is to give a person, or a group of people, an advantage that others don't have, or requiring less (or more) from someone. But God does not do that.

An interesting notion certainly. It's not what the Bible teaches but it is still nice:

Deuteronomy 7:6

speaking of the Jews...

For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.

What do you believe it means to be "His people"? You seem to be implying by this that it is a special honor. I think it is something completely different. I believe it is an "position" of responsibility.

Regardless of whether responsibilities were attached to being chosen, if the Bible is to be believed, the Jews were God's treasured select, chosen and gifted with his blessings and favors above all others and to the exclusion of others.

Obviously the New Testament makes the point that God does not chose and favor some over others, but that was a later addition or alteration in the understanding of God and his nature. And, since as you say, God does not change, the OT understanding comes first.

Originally posted by Snow@Nov 14 2004, 01:23 PM

Regardless of whether responsibilities were attached to being chosen, if the Bible is to be believed, the Jews were God's treasured select, chosen and gifted with his blessings and favors above all others and to the exclusion of others.

Obviously the New Testament makes the point that God does not chose and favor some over others, but that was a later addition or alteration in the understanding of God and his nature. And, since as you say, God does not change, the OT understanding comes first.

You seem to think that because man responds to God differently that God changes. It is man's response to Him that changes, not God. God gave the Jews "the law" because they refused the Celestial Law when He tried to give it to them. It was the same Celestial Law that he gave to man since the time of Adam, but the Jews rejected it, and they got, not a better law, but a lesser law. But still a law that incorporated everything that was in the Celestial Law, just spelled out in minute detail, for obvious reasons.

You still didn't answer the question. (Hint: the answer is important.) Why were the Jews God's chosen people and what did it mean?

I dunno with you Jenda. If you don't like a principle or change you point out some scripture against it and say that God doesn't change. If you like the change then you say that it is not God that changes but rather man's response to God that changes. Seems like you've got every base covered.

The Jews were chosen of God because he prized them above all other people, obstensibly because they, through Abraham chose him. The "chosing" is part of the quid pro quo covenant and their part of the bargain was that they had to be righteous and teach morality to the world and through them everyone one could me blessed.

Originally posted by Snow@Nov 14 2004, 05:01 PM

I dunno with you Jenda. If you don't like a principle or change you point out some scripture against it and say that God doesn't change. If you like the change then you say that it is not God that changes but rather man's response to God that changes. Seems like you've got every base covered.

The Jews were chosen of God because he prized them above all other people, obstensibly because they, through Abraham chose him. The "chosing" is part of the quid pro quo covenant and their part of the bargain was that they had to be righteous and teach morality to the world and through them everyone one could me blessed.

I'm just readin' them thar revelations provided for us by God and Joseph Smith in that book called the Doctrine and Covenants (which, BTW, has had the Doctrine part removed, so it should just be called "Covenants".)

So, because they "chose" God (which He liked a lot) He rewarded them with the responsibility of being His chosen people, which put the burden of bringing the world to Him on their shoulders (as you very eloquently put it.) They failed to fulfill that task in the most direct way, but succeeded in an indirect way. Because they were God's "chosen people", they became, shall we say, full of themselves. They felt they were better than others, which of course, was not true. Chosen doesn't mean better. But they fulfilled the task because it was through the Jews that the Savior was born, and the world through Him (and them) was blessed.

How does the LDS church today view themselves as another of God's "chosen" people? Are they better than everyone else? Do they consider their "chosenness" as a reward or a responsibility?

I am just wondering what people think when they think of what "chosen" means.

Guest curvette

I think people read more into this scripture than was originally intended. An archaic form of "person" meant "appearance." It comes from the word "persona" which means "mask." I think God being no respecter of persons is a validation of the scripture that says that God looks on the heart. I think He is no respecter of appearances, titles, gender, occupation--anything that could possibly "mask" what is really in our hearts.

Originally posted by curvette@Nov 15 2004, 10:14 AM

I think people read more into this scripture than was originally intended.  An archaic form of "person" meant "appearance." It comes from the word "persona" which means "mask." I think God being no respecter of persons is a validation of the scripture that says that God looks on the heart.  I think He is no respecter of appearances, titles, gender, occupation--anything that could possibly "mask" what is really in our hearts.

Some nice thoughts there, curvette. Thank you for sharing. :)

And thank you for those thoughts and scriptures too, Jenda. :)

Btw, I consider the "chosenness" to be both a reward and a responsibility, and one that I am willing and happy to bear. And as far as being "better" than everyone else, I will say that the worth of a human soul is in proportion to it's potential to become exalted, and since some people aren't even interested, some people have more potential than others.

Originally posted by Ray@Nov 19 2004, 05:47 PM

Btw, I consider the "chosenness" to be both a reward and a responsibility, and one that I am willing and happy to bear. And as far as being "better" than everyone else, I will say that the worth of a human soul is in proportion to it's potential to become exalted, and since some people aren't even interested, some people have more potential than others.

Wait, Hold the phone...did I miss something here... Your Chosenness? Is that anything like Your Holiness? "This is something you are willing and happy to bear?" Did someone indicate that you were better then anyone else?

Ray, you aren't full of yourself are you?

BTW, I think your swell.