Church Growing Up?

Snow

Is the Church maturing or something? Three things happened today that are noteworthy:

1. Mormon Harry Reid is named minority leader of the U.S. Senate and the news story on national radio didn't even mention that he is Mormon.

2. Deseret Book buys Excel Entertainment Group. What's next in Mormon mergers and aquisitions?

3. Doubleday released the first ever commercial publication of the Book of Mormon.

If that ain't enough, next Thursday on Thanksgiving, there is a premier on PBS (the 4th in the last couple years on Mormondom), "America's Choir: The Story of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir," with Walter Cronkrite.

Something's afoot I tell ya.

Originally posted by Ray+Nov 17 2004, 01:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ray @ Nov 17 2004, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Deb@Nov 17 2004, 11:49 AM

Yes Snow, these are the latter days.  I truly believe we may well live to see the end of wickedness on earth.  Jesus is surely on his way.

But isn't it supposed to get worse before it gets better?

Well I certainly hope it doesn't get worse. I mean how could it? Did you see that little skit they put on just before Monday Night Football this week? I don't really think they're going to let it get any worse than that. And now with our honest and open Christian President Bush back in office and even better people taking cabinet positions, I believe we are in for a real clean-up. I think things can only get better. Maybe they should make wearing CTR rings mandatory. Could it really hurt? And NO I have nothing to do with that website that sells them, I just find them very good reminders. Gosh, I don't have anything to do with Deseret Books either, but I buy there and recommend it to others.

Originally posted by Deb@ Nov 18 2004, 09:21 AM

Did you see that little skit they put on just before Monday Night Football this week? I don't really think they're going to let it get any worse than that.

Heh, no, I don’t watch football. Have you seen the movie called “Shall We Dance”? I agree with that guy… only I would have made a better word choice to express what he was probably thinking? :)

And I hope you’re right. I hope things only continue to get better and better. But I have a feeling that Lucifer isn’t going to just sit back and watch righteousness fill the Earth.

Originally posted by shanstress70+Nov 18 2004, 12:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shanstress70 @ Nov 18 2004, 12:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Deb@Nov 18 2004, 11:21 AM

Maybe they should make wearing CTR rings mandatory.

Do you realize the irony of that statement?

And do you REALLY think it can't get worse?

No, I don't sense any irony in that suggestion. Maybe you could explain it to me?

Yes, I recon it could get worse, but I sincerely hope it doesn't. Do you?

Originally posted by Deb+Nov 18 2004, 02:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Deb @ Nov 18 2004, 02:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -shanstress70@Nov 18 2004, 12:00 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Deb@Nov 18 2004, 11:21 AM

Maybe they should make wearing CTR rings mandatory.

Do you realize the irony of that statement?

And do you REALLY think it can't get worse?

No, I don't sense any irony in that suggestion. Maybe you could explain it to me?

Yes, I recon it could get worse, but I sincerely hope it doesn't. Do you?

"CTR" or "Choose the Right" implies that you have a choice (ie free agency). And you're talking about making a ring about free agency mandatory? See my point? It's going against the very theme of CTR. There would be no choice of whether to wear it or not.

Originally posted by Deb+Nov 19 2004, 11:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Deb @ Nov 19 2004, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@Nov 19 2004, 10:39 AM

I think she was speaking metaphorically.  (weren't you?)

Um, yes, that's it. Of course I was. Yes. What does "metaphorically" mean?

Heh, am I correct to detect humor here?

Btw, in case you really do want to know the definition of a word, I recommend that you use the thesaurus in Word. That comes standard on most computers now, I think.

Originally posted by Ray+Nov 19 2004, 01:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ray @ Nov 19 2004, 01:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Deb@Nov 19 2004, 11:27 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--curvette@Nov 19 2004, 10:39 AM

Btw, in case you really do want to know the definition of a word, I recommend that you use the thesaurus in Word. That comes standard on most computers now, I think.

Here's a little hint Ray,

Deb is jerking you around. There's a certain economy and precision in Deb's post that indicate she is much brighter than she pretends.

Originally posted by Snow+Nov 19 2004, 09:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Nov 19 2004, 09:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Ray@Nov 19 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by -Deb@Nov 19 2004, 11:27 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--curvette@Nov 19 2004, 10:39 AM

Here's a little hint Ray,

Deb is jerking you around. There's a certain economy and precision in Deb's post that indicate she is much brighter than she pretends.

Jerking you around? I am appalled! How dare you imply such an insidious idea on such flimsy evidence? From what I've read of Ray, I've an intrinsic sense that he is spiritually mature enough to know just who, if anybody is "jerking him around." I've also a feeling that that "anybody" could very well be you, Mr. Snow.

Originally posted by Setheus@Nov 20 2004, 12:49 PM

Remember that scene from Star Wars where Jaba picked that little alien thing up and ate it? Deb trying to out wit Snow makes me think of that scene. :lol:;)

Had no idea this was a contest of wits, but if you're right in your assessment, doesn't that sort of negate Snow's assertion?

Guest bizabra
Originally posted by Deb+Nov 18 2004, 09:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Deb @ Nov 18 2004, 09:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Ray@Nov 17 2004, 01:57 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Deb@Nov 17 2004, 11:49 AM

Yes Snow, these are the latter days.  I truly believe we may well live to see the end of wickedness on earth.  Jesus is surely on his way.

But isn't it supposed to get worse before it gets better?

Well I certainly hope it doesn't get worse. I mean how could it? Did you see that little skit they put on just before Monday Night Football this week? I don't really think they're going to let it get any worse than that. And now with our honest and open Christian President Bush back in office and even better people taking cabinet positions, I believe we are in for a real clean-up. I think things can only get better. Maybe they should make wearing CTR rings mandatory. Could it really hurt? And NO I have nothing to do with that website that sells them, I just find them very good reminders. Gosh, I don't have anything to do with Deseret Books either, but I buy there and recommend it to others.

Deb, you should read some history (although I don't REALLY think you need to) (make of that what you will ;) ). Life has certainly been "worse" and in general, a LOT less "moral" than it is today. Particularly for Americans in the 21st century, life is a LOT cleaner and safer than it has ever been.

Our personal rights are well protected and the common man is a lot better off than ever before. The average citizen can vote; men, women, minorities. We are free of the pernicious evil of slavery. Laws have been created to protect the worker and our environment. Our courts are more fair and open than ever before, police and municipal entities are less corrupt. Women abandoned by husbands and family are not forced into prostitution or the workhouse or beg to stay alive. We no longer have debtors prison; folks can declare bankruptcy if they end up in financial ruin, thus being able to get a fresh start. Children are educated for free and don't have to work to help support the family. Safe child care alternatives are available. Men (and women) cannot be exploited by their employers, who must provide safe and humane working conditions and adequate compensation. Elderly people no longer have to go into the poor house or rely on their children due to Social Security and Medicare. We regulate and tax the distribution of alcohol, so no black market exists for that social vice. The laws are equal for rich and poor. You cannot be tossed into prison on a whim or be executed summarily. Health care has never been better and women of 45 are not ancient hags anymore, but still people in their prime. Our ability to share knowledge has never been better. We have more choices in thought, dress, action, and way of life than any population of humans ever had. Crime is WAY down, the average American today is far less likely to be the victim of bodily harm or violence than ever before. We have religious freedom.

If you judge morality solely on sexual innuendo, you may have a point with re: the media and entertainment industries. But in every other indicator of life, Americans are the beneficiaries of a very moral society that considers personal rights and freedoms to be paramount, and has been constructed to further these goals.

At least, that's MY personal opinion. Based on MY experiences. as if I need to explain this. but Snow might be reading this. maybe. ya never know. besides, i might be lying about all this. i might be.