Freakin out over home storage!

georgia2

Anyone else freekin out over getting their food storage? I was too poor for many years and when I was better off financially to start, felt intimidated and inept to begin.

Now, I've been going along, getting more and more panicky about getting it. I feel very strongly that this year is the year more and more people will need to use theirs. I finally talked hubby in to getting some chickens! Man are thy fun! Anyone else have chickens? What are ya'll doing for your storage? (you can tell I'm from the south!)

ps.look at my page to see my chicky babies!

Don't have chickens, but like you have felt the urgency to do it. I too am overwhelmed. What has helped me is to buy an extra can here and there. It doesn't seem like much but it has really added up. If I see something that is on sale, I'll stock up on that particular item.

I have been looking into a wheat grinder to add to my storage. I know I can get an attachment for my Kitchen Aid, but I'd like to have a hand cranked one. I wasn't raised grinding our own wheat so this is a new concept but one I'm eager to learn.

If it gets really bad, you can grind wheat using paving slabs.

as far as chickens go, we were looking atone of these things, don't know if they are sold

in the USA.

Omlet UK | Product and Services | Eglu Cube | the eglu cube

I checked out the Eglu website. I really want one with a few chickens when we eventually buy a house with a garden. Would be great to have a regular supply of fresh eggs and the kids would love the chickens!

Thanks for that link! :D

I've been raising chickens for 3+ years. Some tips:

1. They need at least 12 hours of light/day (14 is preferred) to keep laying eggs, so plan on artificial light on a timer. Fluorescent light won't work. Stock up on 100W bulbs (before they're all outlawed. It's already happening.)

2. Chickens will destroy a vegetable garden, so it needs to be fenced in, if you let your chickens free-range (which is a good idea, it saves on feed and reduces your insect problems).

3. Chickens don't fly OVER things. They fly up to it, land on it, and then fly down to get to the other side. So, make your garden fence wobbly at the top. That will prevent them from being able to be "secure" at the "fly up" stage, and they won't get into your garden.

Buy non-hybrid seeds for your garden, so you can harvest the seeds at the end of each season, in case your seed-supplier disappears. See Non-Hybrid Seed Pack, 25 varieties including nonhybrid sweet corn! for a really good deal on them.

For storing water, the most practical and space-saving solution is to get a water filter. The best one out there is a gravity filter (uses no energy). See AquaRain Gravity Water Filter from Best Prices Storable Foods

It filters 16-32 gallons/day, depending on the model. You can filter lake, pond or puddle water safely.

If it gets really bad, you can grind wheat using paving slabs.

as far as chickens go, we were looking at one of these things, don't know if they are sold

in the USA.

Omlet UK | Product and Services | Eglu Cube | the eglu cube

Thanks for the link. Those little houses are cute! I've looked at hundreds of sites and haven't seen that one. There are similar units made in the U.S. The trouble with these little coops and runs is they are expensive. When we first got our chickens we used a plan from "Mother Earth News" which is an EXCELLENT magazine which you can get online.

After we had the hens for a while we realized the small yard around these units was not large enough. We had a tall dog fence unit that was not being used. We set that up, built a coop out of old sheets of plywood, put 3 nest boxes inside with scrap lumber, and a roost (pole for them to side on) inside. We then put a plastic tarp across the entire top of he fence to keep off rain and to keep birds of prey away. This new arrangement is much better for the hens and they are much happier. We had 4 hens but one had a problem when she began laying and died. we now have 3 hens which lay one egg a day. We are going to get another to replace the one we lost and we are even considering a rooster. We also let them out of the fence at least once a day for an hour so they can run around and eat whatever they want. They are so sweet and cute! I never thought chickens would be this way.! Now I'm afraid that something will happen to them. In order for us to continue to keep chickens into the future as things get more difficult, we will need to educate ourselves and grow in knowledge.

:superman:

Do chickens need to have roosters around to feel like they need to lay eggs?

I'm not sure if I could make chickens work where I am at. I have a large deck that we play on a lot, but I don't know if chickens would be happy with a coupe built on a deck, no grass... though I suppose we could put in an artificial grass floor. We also have a little room on the side of the house that is just dirt. It's underneath red woods and is in constant shade. It seems a little chillier over there. Would either of these areas be adaptable for chickens?

I am currently concerned as my stockpile is nearly gone

I am a "super couponer" and had an incredible stash of free or nearly free goodies. in the cross country move we gave away about 75% and have used up about 20% of what we had left..

I have been able to rebuild since then, but we currently have less than a months worth of food..

I recommend that people take $10-20 a week and buy a SUPER SALE item.. so if this week pasta is a super deal then buy $10-20 worth . next week it may be canned veggies the following week granola bars.. etc..

you will have a pretty good stockpile in no time at all.. and you arent going out spending a whole paycheck on food..

I prefer the smaller sizes on sale. if you open a large container you have to use it up in a pretty timely fashion. that can be hard, even for us at times

Hens do not need roosters to lay eggs. Only reason you need a rooster is to have hens lay fertile eggs. It takes fertile eggs to have baby chicks. If you get hens only know that they are used up after about three years and good for nothing more than the stew pot. All hens don't lay an egg a day. With a dozen hens you might get six eggs a day. Some days more some days less.

One way to do it best is to buy 12 hens. After eight months buy four more and eat four of the old ones. Eight months later buy another four and eat four of the oldest, etc, etc. That way you will have at least eight that are fresh layers. Also the four oldest will be motivated to keep laying or suffer the pot like the four that went earlier. LOL

Ben Raines

that reminds me of a story

our hens were doing sloppy laying and then breaking the eggs they did lay

after several attempted solutions we still had some issues

frustrated, my husband and I stood over the coop talking aloud as to our next step.. we both agreed.. DINNER!

wouldn't ya know it but over the next few days egg production picked up :D

Do chickens need to have roosters around to feel like they need to lay eggs?

I'm not sure if I could make chickens work where I am at. I have a large deck that we play on a lot, but I don't know if chickens would be happy with a coupe built on a deck, no grass... though I suppose we could put in an artificial grass floor. We also have a little room on the side of the house that is just dirt. It's underneath red woods and is in constant shade. It seems a little chillier over there. Would either of these areas be adaptable for chickens?

I'm new at this but do a lot of research when I do get in to something!:lol:

Chickens would not be happy on a deck. They actually need dirt so they can give themselves dirt baths that keep off parasites. They also love to eat bugs that are on and in the ground. I don't think constant shade is a problem. They do need to have 11 to 12 hours of good daylight to lay during the winter. Most people put a light bulb in the hen house to make up for the shorter days. My hens do lay an egg a day. Three birds, the different colored eggs! They are not noisy and actually easier to keep and quieter than dogs. You do need to give them different things to eat, chick feed, oyster shell, cracked corn and other whole grins as well as veggie scraps from the kitchen. Then they are more healthy and lay more nutritious eggs if allowed to free range and scratch under the leaves for yummy bugs! Since we don't have a rooster, no crowing at sunrise! BUt, we are thinking about borrowing one in the spring so the girls can have fertile eggs and raise a few chicks on their own. That way we can replenish as the older ones egg production slows down. If you get good laying breeds they can lay for many years but peak production is only about 3 to 4 years. I don't think I could eat my girls unless it was dire circumstances They are the cutest and sweetest things! They bow down to my husband so he can pick them up. I'm gonna video this and post. will make an announcement when I do!