Question about unworthiness and taking the sacrament

Superbaldguy

There are many times I struggle with weaknesses in life, as we all do, but I sometimes wonder if I am worthy to take the sacrament on Sunday morning. I know the Lord does give us this warning in 3 Nephi 18:29 - "For whoso eateth and drinketh my flesh and blood unworthily eateth and drinketh damnation to his soul."

Of course, grievous sins that would be confessed to the bishop would put stipulations on the member's partaking of the sacrament, but, aside from those serious transgressions, can we still feel unworthy to participate? Or, should we look at this as an opportunity to refresh and recommit to do better? We are, of course, renewing our baptismal covenants.

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has struggled with this at some point. It's an important thing to ponder, and an important thing to understand.

What I have come to learn is that if you are sincere in your promise to repent and become better, then you are commanded to renew that covenant by partaking of the Sacrament.

If you are not sincere, then you should be concerned if it's the right thing.

I believe the heart of not being worthy, however, stems from being under direction of Priesthood authority not to partake, and you do.

Beyond that, it's between you and God, and the measurement is the sincerety of your promise to do the three things mentioned in the Sacrament prayers.

Seems to be a reasonable position - a repentant attitude can go a long way. The Lord does look on the sincerity of our hearts at all times.

I have seen others not partake and I, too, have occasionally done the same thing, it all comes down to a matter of whether or not the Spirit does prompt you to say "maybe I should pass this week."

The covenant we are renewing is to take upon ourselves His name and His spirit will always be with us, the sacrament ordinance is the most important one we can do as individuals provided our hearts are in the proper orientation.

When I was 21 and going for a Temple Recommend I faced a very sensible Bishop who went through every question and asked what each question ment to me. And when I umed and ahhed about was I worthy told me to go away pray about it and come back next week I do the same with sacrament - now when I take it I KNOW I am worthy and when I step through the doors of the Temple I KNOW I am worthy to be there.

I say a prayer of repentance before I attend church every week, and ask for guidance and strength to imrprove

-Charley

There are many times I struggle with weaknesses in life, as we all do, but I sometimes wonder if I am worthy to take the sacrament on Sunday morning. I know the Lord does give us this warning in 3 Nephi 18:29 - "For whoso eateth and drinketh my flesh and blood unworthily eateth and drinketh damnation to his soul."

Of course, grievous sins that would be confessed to the bishop would put stipulations on the member's partaking of the sacrament, but, aside from those serious transgressions, can we still feel unworthy to participate? Or, should we look at this as an opportunity to refresh and recommit to do better? We are, of course, renewing our baptismal covenants.

Thoughts?

Feelings of unworthiness and remorse for sin is when you should partake. You are humbling yourself to acknowledge that you messed up and want to do better. In reality we are never "worthy" to take the sacrament.

It is when when we stubbornly hold onto a sin or feel justified in some Spirit squashing action (huge fight with wife, "Well, she started it. I did nothing wrong" for example) that we should step back and not take it, until we have sufficiently humbled ourselves and are prepared to try and make a change.

I would say too if you go rushing in to sacrament meeting just in time to partake of the sacrament you probably have not prepared yourself to be there and partake. It is all about attitude of repentance and preparedness.

Ben Raines

I want to take it a little further than that......I think we need to be in the Chapel 5 minutes before the meeting starts, to listen to the prelude music that is being played...we need to sit there reverently and listen....then sing the opening hymn and listen to the prayer....now as we prepare to partake of the sacrament, sing the hymn and listen to the prayers....open your scriptures and read the sacrament prayers for yourself....yes with small children its difficult...just do the best you can....:)

Pale, I agree with you entirely. We arrive 30 minutes before the meeting starts. Welcome a few people as they arrive. Sit in the front seats. Listen to the music while we read scriptures or Ensign article. Sing the songs and enjoy the meeting. I have always had a rule that there is nothing so important that it needs to be discussed during Sacrament meeting. Other than little ones, I have to go to the bathroom.

Ben Raines

I want to take it a little further than that......I think we need to be in the Chapel 5 minutes before the meeting starts, to listen to the prelude music that is being played...we need to sit there reverently and listen....then sing the opening hymn and listen to the prayer....now as we prepare to partake of the sacrament, sing the hymn and listen to the prayers....open your scriptures and read the sacrament prayers for yourself....yes with small children its difficult...just do the best you can....:)

In one of my areas on my mission the father of a family we ate with was a military man and the former Bishop. He told us while he was Bishop when Sacrament meeting started he would have the deacons close the doors into the chapel area (not the building) and they stayed closed, no one was allowed to come in late, at first there was some complaints, but within a few months church attendance had gone up 40% (if I remember right)

Thoughts?

Being unworthy with any sin that requires a confession to a Lord representative, the Sacrament should not be taken. It will only add to your condemnation versus renewal of your baptismal covenants and sins.

"Sin is anything that offends the Spirit."

for most sins confession to Heavenly Father is enough - my branch president would never get to go home if I had to go in everytime I shouted at the kids - its only sins were physical action on Earth needs to be taken or you cannot put to bed you need to go to the Bishop for

-Charley

How can anyone be worthy of the Sacrament unless they take the Sacrament? Every time that we do something un-Christlike, we are just making ourselves more and more unworthy to consider ourselves his representatives and take his name upon us. Yet we're still called to represent Him whose shoes we are not worthy to unbuckle. Him whose feet we are not worthy to anoint and clean with our tears.

We take the Sacrament as a way of renewing ourselves and our commitment. I don't know about you all, but I know I need it as bad as anyone come Sunday. I need to be reminded why I'm even here on Earth and why I even have the blessed life that I do.

I think if you have something weighing on your conscience so much that you feel horrible taking the Sacrament, you need to see the Bishop. Let him judge whether you should take it or not. Without partaking of the bread and water of life we are, in essence, saying that we will not take His name upon us. We are saying that we will not let His sacrifice apply to our lives and sins. Just as I don't think any of us can ever be truly worthy of taking the Sacrament, I also don't think that any of us can justify NOT taking it without the direction of your Bishop.

Just my opinion :)

Ben, I wish our congregation was half as reverent as you the one you have, the chapel is a gossip hall, it seems, I guess we don't talk to one another enough during the week..........

that starts with the 3 guys sitting up on the stand.....they can correct it or just let it go....it would be a good topic of discussion for Ward Council and get everyones input and suggestions.....:)

Ben, I wish our congregation was half as reverent as you the one you have, the chapel is a gossip hall, it seems, I guess we don't talk to one another enough during the week..........

ok just me but its upto you how you choose to be reverent, our chapel has people doing it in a variety of ways, for me sitting and talking to the people around me gives me an opportunity to focus on their lives, make sure they are OK etc, asking questions generally as a result they feel better, and concentrate better, and I have been doing part of what church is for and helping to uplift people, they have uplifted me. The days I am not coping so good or my spirituality has been off during the week then I sit and read book etc

Is it not focusing on the Saviour to give a person that needs it your time?

-Charley

In most LDS buildings the social area is what we call the Cultural Hall, the place where we come to partake of the sacrament is the Chapel. Too often people get the chapel confused with the cultural hall. Behavior in the chapel should be similar to the lobby of the temple. Anyone can go in to the lobby of the temple. Even non LDS. That is how the chapel should be too.

Ben Raines

In most LDS buildings the social area is what we call the Cultural Hall, the place where we come to partake of the sacrament is the Chapel. Too often people get the chapel confused with the cultural hall. Behavior in the chapel should be similar to the lobby of the temple. Anyone can go in to the lobby of the temple. Even non LDS. That is how the chapel should be too.

Ben Raines

ahh see our chapel is also classroom and cultural hall:), and I would ask the lady next to me in the temple lobby how she was and introduce myself at least

-Charley

Yes you have a Class A building. Similar to many used in the Caribbean. My dad attends one like that in Dolan Springs, AZ.

Ben Raines

yes we do I have never seen another like it even in the UK - basically it is going to be noisy as people have to move chairs round etc anyway, also I think because its smaller reverence can be achieved differently I guess. I am noticing how much harder the way we have done things is getting and as the branch is growing we will need to change, we also until recently had a large proportion of elderly single sisters and we are spread out over a fair sized area with few cars which means meeting up except over the phone doesn't always happen.

It is sad as rough as our branch has had it I am going to miss it as it grows think we are 2 priesthood holders short of becoming a ward now.

-Charley

I would rather live in a large branch than in a small ward. I am currently attending a small ward in California and the active members are overwhelmed at the responsibilities they have. In Idaho, where I am Scoutmaster, I have a total of four assistant scoutmasters. In my brothers small ward in california he is First Counselor in YM Pres and Scoutmaster. He is also Scout Committee, etc. I have a full Scout committee of about ten memebers plus the assistants. He has four boys and we have about twenty.

Give me a large branch.

Ben Raines