1 Nephi 13:17-19

pam

1 Nephi 13

17 And I beheld that their mother Gentiles were gathered together upon the waters, and upon the land also, to battle against them.

18 And I beheld that the power of God was with them, and also that the wrath of God was upon all those that were gathered together against them to battle.

19 And I, Nephi, beheld that the Gentiles that had gone out of captivity were delivered by the power of God out of the hands of all other nations.

Quote for Discussion

It is an interesting thing that Washington, during the progress of the revolutionary War and more particularly at the close of the Revolutionary War, expressed himself repeatedly to the effect that the American armies by themselves were altogether too weak to bring about this independence they now had achieved—but that independence came as a gift of God to these American colonies.

Mark E. Peterson, BYU Speeches of the Year, Feb. 20, 1968<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I also like this from George Washington:

During his first inaugural address in 1789, President George Washington, a man who was raised up by God, said: “No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the affairs of men, more than the people of the United States. Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency” (First Inaugural Address, 30 Apr. 1789).

• 1 month later...