1 Nephi 14:7

pam

1 Nephi 14

7 For the time cometh, saith the Lamb of God, that I will work a great and a marvelous work among the children of men; a work which shall be everlasting, either on the one hand or on the other—either to the convincing of them unto peace and life eternal, or unto the deliverance of them to the hardness of their hearts and the blindness of their minds unto their being brought down into captivity, and also into destruction, both temporally and spiritually, according to the captivity of the devil, of which I have spoken.

Quote for Discussion

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 coordsize="21600,21600" path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 3.85pt; Z-INDEX: 251653632; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt" type="#_x0000_t202" stroked="f" filled="f"></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>A work which shall be everlasting<o:p></o:p>

The new and everlasting covenant is the fullness of the gospel, the aggregate of all covenants and obligations which lead to salvation (see D&C 1:22; 39:11; 45:9, 49:9; 66:2; 133:57; Doctrines of Salvation 1:156). “The gospel is the everlasting covenant because it is ordained by him who is Everlasting and also because it is everlastingly the same. In all past ages salvation was gained by adherence to its terms and conditions, and that same compliance will bring the same reward in all future ages. Each time this everlasting covenant is revealed it is new to those of that dispensation. Hence the gospel is the new and everlasting covenant.” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 529-30; italics in original.) The angel instructed Nephi that one accepts or rejects the message of the Restoration at the peril of his own salvation.

Ibid, p. 108<o:p></o:p>

I am happy to see that Mormon Doctrine is still quoted from time to time. It seems this book has gone into a hiding of sorts since it came to light that some of it's contents are not, in fact, actual Mormon Doctrine but the opinion of Bruce R. McConkie.... but for me this has never changed the fact that I find it a wonderful resource.

More specifically to 1 Nephi 14:7 and the New and Everlasting Covenant: Thank you Pam, for the reference as to why it's both "new" and "everlasting". I had not previously fully understood this.

Janice

• 4 weeks later...